• I don't care

11 18.97%
  • I hate you

0 0%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aeris or Aerith

Articles
    Blog Entries

I stopped calling her Aeris ever since I started getting into romhacking and realized that her in-game name before you get to rename her is "Aerith". Even way back then the translators already acknowledged and used that translation, apparently there was just some miscommunication or something. Forever confirming for me that Aeris was a name she was never meant to have.

Also, the Wiki is about as right as some guy who believes, Squal is Dead, is. They also say Aerith's name in Dissidia is Aerisu and misunderstand an essential part of DoC's story. Never let random people do stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

But is it Monique or Monica!?

Can't see the image you linked btw.

In all seriousness: Anyone who legitimately doesn't think she is both Aeris and Aerith is silly and takes this all way too seriously.

She is what she is called.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Also, the Wiki is about as right as some guy who believes, Squal is Dead, is. They also say Aerith's name in Dissidia is Aerisu and misunderstand an essential part of DoC's story. Never let random people do stuff.
    Oh how I despise that Squall is Dead 'theory'

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    She is what she is called.

I am sorry, Bob. But that has nothing to do with being silly. It really is just you not accepting that the reality you thought to know does not exist, like everytime when people after years find out they misunderstood something. I do not even mean that personal but you are trying to make the other side look bad while you ignore things. She is legitimately called Aeris. I will never deny that and if you read my comments you know that I never did. But she is not correctly called Aeris. Aeris is as correct as Aelis, Airith, Aelith, et cetera is. Not at all. Legitimate? Yes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Perhaps you should think of it as a nickname or a transliteration. It should be noted that when transliterating names, there isn't a "wrong" or "right". But I do think you need to be more relaxed about what other people call a character. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i actually think the whole point was " what do you prefer" i thought everybody knew that she is Aerith.

It should be noted that when transliterating names, there isn't a "wrong" or "right".
    And that is exactly the problem here. There is a wrong and right. It is legitimate to call the Fuji "Fujiyama", but it is not right. It is "Fuji-san". Is it legitimately correct to read"yama"? Yes, as it is that same kanji. Is it actually correct? No. As the context wants it to be read as "san". Names are not really different and any other piece of information that is contextualized and has intention.

When the creators gave them a name they already had something in mind, which is how the name came up and why they wrote "Aerith" in the manual. That has become a part of that intention in that moment. You may never leave out the full context or you cannot understand a message the full way. Which is why I differentiate so clearly between "legitimate" and "correct". When the guy wrote "Aeris" he used all right ways of converting the katakana, but he did miss the intention as he was missing information. And thus it was lost.

I am not taking this any more serious than people who want to say that I am wrong. I can just back it up with info as I of course want to show people why it is the way I say. People often get the impression I want them to believe what I say because I say it, but I am not taking those things out of nowhere. It is a conclusion based on everything, interviews, games, books, et cetera.

EDIT: Regarding the mistranslation malarkey, come on, you really think that half the words in any language aren't just typos and mistranslations that became actual things? xD
    It is a fact that a lot of stuff is just mistranslated. You forget that I have multiple versions of games and understand them. I do not know why that is hard to believe. It is very easy to misunderstand things and then bring a wrong version to people.

EDIT: Thank you, Shauna or Psychotic.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.

I will fight anyone who challenges me calling her Aeris.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    It is legitimate to call the Fuji "Fujiyama", but it is not right.
    Damn straight. They were called The Fugees and I believe a much stronger unit without Lauren Hill.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Every time I have played the US release of VII (which is the only version I've played), Aeris has been the default name. So her name is Aeris to me since I never changed it from the default. Every time I've played Kingdom Hearts or Crisis Core, Aerith has been her name. So her name is also Aerith. It depends to me on what game I'm playing.

I really don't care, but she can still have both names depending on the context. Her name can be Sarah or BoB or Sephiroth if you really want. All the main characters you can name can be Aeris if you want. They gave you the option in the first game so no name is really right. Aeris is just as right as Aerith despite it being translation issue. Her name will be whatever you name her or whatever the default name was in the region you played the game.

Also Squall is Dead is a valid interpretation and reading of that game. I don't subscribe to that interpretation myself, but author intent really doesn't matter too much when it comes to literary theory and analysis which is what you really start delving into with stuff like that. It really doesn't have much comparison at all to the discussion at hand unless you are going to start discussing about how the name Aerith is important to your interpretation of VII's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    Every time I have played the US release of VII (which is the only version I've played), Aeris has been the default name. So her name is Aeris to me since I never changed it from the default. Every time I've played Kingdom Hearts or Crisis Core, Aerith has been her name. So her name is also Aerith. It depends to me on what game I'm playing.

I really don't care, but she can still have both names depending on the context. Her name can be Sarah or BoB or Sephiroth if you really want. All the main characters you can name can be Aeris if you want. They gave you the option in the first game so no name is really right. Aeris is just as right as Aerith despite it being translation issue. Her name will be whatever you name her or whatever the default name was in the region you played the game.

Also Squall is Dead is a valid interpretation and reading of that game. I don't subscribe to that interpretation myself, but author intent really doesn't matter too much when it comes to literary theory and analysis which is what you really start delving into with stuff like that. It really doesn't have much comparison at all to the discussion at hand unless you are going to start discussing about how the name Aerith is important to your interpretation of VII's story.

You basically ignore everything then to make your view fit. Good for you if that is what you want. That's not how things work though. The truth is not "there is no truth".

Blog Entries

Read my lips (i mean my signature)

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am paying complete attention to what is presented to me when I turn on my copy of the game, which is a name select screen with aeris as the default.

Edit: and if you are referencing my view on squall is dead, I was just looking at it from a more academic literary standpoint. There really is no definitive truth to interpreting a story, just valid interpretations (if those interpretations can be backed up with what is presented in the text). It really doesn't apply to this discussion, but I wasn't sure which part of my post you were referencing, Sephiroth.

But I'm out of this discussion for now because I really don't care that much about the name. It being Aeris or Aerith changes nothing about the character or story for me. Aeris in the original US release of VII will always be Aeris to me just because that's what it's always been when I've played. I'm sure it will be Aerith to me in the remake as Im surewe wont be able to change their names there and they've been consistent with keeping it as Aerith for the compilation stuff.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I don't really care from an accuracy standpoint, Aerith sounds way less pretentious and...divine? Aerie always struck me as awkward from a phonetic standpoint and didn't really suit the character.