22 37.93%
  • I don't care

11 18.97%
  • I hate you

0 0%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Aeris or Aerith

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    You may prefer Aeris, by all means. No one can deny that right for you. But ultimately, and I quote myself, for kicks

Your sentimentalism is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Your existence is futile and finite.
    The intent has always been Aerith, so all subsequent entries recitify that. Sure, a lot of people are nostalgically biased to Aeris and that's fine, but the story, as conceived by the people at SE, has always involved a girl name Aerith whose name got mistranslated, and they are now trying to make their vision clearer, since they have that opportunity. Aeris has been repelled from canon at this point, with Aerith being the one true Aerith, always (as Karifean and Sephiroth noted, it's even in the code of the game that uses Aeris).
    And Square has, again, been pushing a version of the game and its story which simply didn't exist. Cissnei is not a character in FFVII. Neither is Angeal, nor Genesis, nor Weis, nor any of the other changes that they have tried to inject into the canon with every "subsequent entry". All their "subsequent entries" have done is make changes to the original. The quality or intent of this changes is irrelevant. The original its still it's own thing, and they STILL haven't even attempted to update it. Go buy it off Steam, RIGHT NOW, and it has Aeris. In fact, the new Achievements which they added into the game when the REBUILT it for Steam, entirely new content which they could have used WHATEVER they wanted for it... Call her Aeris.

The game's code uses Aerith. That's great. The game's code also uses twelve billion ones and zeros, so I guess you're going to tell me that it's a story about travelling numbers trying to survive in a bleak and hostile universe. Game code is irrelevant to this discussion. The game code also includes unused rooms, backgrounds, items, and images. None of them are argued to be canon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sephiroth killed Sephiroth as Sephiroth, Sephiroth and Sephiroth watched.

Also, when my friend got to this scene (I was visiting him at the time), he got this glitch:

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You may prefer Aeris, by all means. No one can deny that right for you. But ultimately, and I quote myself, for kicks

Your sentimentalism is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Your existence is futile and finite.
    The intent has always been Aerith, so all subsequent entries recitify that. Sure, a lot of people are nostalgically biased to Aeris and that's fine, but the story, as conceived by the people at SE, has always involved a girl name Aerith whose name got mistranslated, and they are now trying to make their vision clearer, since they have that opportunity. Aeris has been repelled from canon at this point, with Aerith being the one true Aerith, always (as Karifean and Sephiroth noted, it's even in the code of the game that uses Aeris).
    And Square has, again, been pushing a version of the game and its story which simply didn't exist. Cissnei is not a character in FFVII. Neither is Angeal, nor Genesis, nor Weis, nor any of the other changes that they have tried to inject into the canon with every "subsequent entry". All their "subsequent entries" have done is make changes to the original. The quality or intent of this changes is irrelevant. The original its still it's own thing, and they STILL haven't even attempted to update it. Go buy it off Steam, RIGHT NOW, and it has Aeris. In fact, the new Achievements which they added into the game when the REBUILT it for Steam, entirely new content which they could have used WHATEVER they wanted for it... Call her Aeris.

The game's code uses Aerith. That's great. The game's code also uses twelve billion ones and zeros, so I guess you're going to tell me that it's a story about travelling numbers trying to survive in a bleak and hostile universe. Game code is irrelevant to this discussion. The game code also includes unused rooms, backgrounds, items, and images. None of them are argued to be canon.
    Well, whether we like it or not, all those are now canon, sadly. And so is Aerith's name. So like I said, you might prefer Aeris, but it's not her name. Not anymore, and it's arguable if it ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Really I believe you can name the characters in FFVII whatever you want to uh

Aeris is now Rebecca to me.
    I always renamed Aeris as well.

But don't let Sephiroth hear that, or he'll argue "oh, but that's impossible because voice acting".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I dunno, I never really liked Rebecca anyway, so I'm not too stingy on her name

Well, whether we like it or not, all those are now canon, sadly. And so is Aerith's name. So like I said, you might prefer Aeris, but it's not her name. Not anymore, and it's arguable if it ever was.
    Of course it's arguable. We're arguing about it, aren't we? But is there anything that isn't arguable?

Aerith is canon for the new versions, and it's one more reason why the remake isn't going to be as good as the original. But, for that original, Aeris is still the official name. Included in every manual, and used by the entire game and all of it's supplemental material. Even supplemental material that didn't exist for ten years after Square started producing new sequels with new content and their new name.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    "Hi, my name is Monique."

"Hi, I'm a person who has known Monica since she was in her mother's belly. Her name is Monica. It's definintely Monica."

"Hi, I've known Monique since she was a child, and it's Monique, definitely."

"Hi, I'm her parent. No, her name is Monica. We wanted to call her Monica but we accidentally put Monique on the birth certificate, and now she goes around calling herself Monique anyway, as do a lot of her friends. But at some points in her life she has also called herself Monica, so her name is totally Monica. But to be honest, when we enhanced the videos/stories we had of her during the times she called herself Monique in those videos/stories, we decided to keep calling her Monique. We've just found out that there is additional writing/footage of that stage in her life and we're not sure if we're going to label her Monica or Monique in that just yet, but I'm sure one friend will be very happy and gloat about it while the other will get defensive. Her friends are weird. We try to ignore them."
    tl;dr: this thread
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

"Hi, I'm a person who has known Monica since she was in her mother's belly. Her name is Monica. It's definintely Monica."

"Hi, I'm her parent. No, her name is Monica. We wanted to call her Monica but we accidentally put Monique on the birth certificate, and now she goes around calling herself Monique anyway, as do a lot of her friends. But at some points in her life she has also called herself Monica, so her name is totally Monica. But to be honest, when we enhanced the videos/stories we had of her during the times she called herself Monique in those videos/stories, we decided to keep calling her Monique. We've just found out that there is additional writing/footage of that stage in her life and we're not sure if we're going to label her Monica or Monique in that just yet, but I'm sure one friend will be very happy and gloat about it while the other will get defensive. Her friends are weird. We try to ignore them."
    That's rich, coming from someone willing to spend fifty pages on debating whether soup is a food or a drink

We try to ignore them."
    You try to ignore them. But it never works, does it?

Also, if this thread is too long for people to read, those people won't have gotten far enough into FFVII to meet Aeris anyway.

"Hi, I'm her parent. No, her name is Monica. We wanted to call her Monica but we accidentally put Monique on the birth certificate, and now she goes around calling herself Monique anyway (which she does not, you just believe it based on a mistranslation), as do a lot of her friends. But at some points in her life she has also called herself Monica, so her name is totally Monica. But to be honest, when we enhanced the videos/stories we had of her during the times she called herself Monique (except it was in the late 90s already explained that it was a mistranslation) in those videos/stories, we decided to keep calling her Monique. We've just found out that there is additional writing/footage of that stage in her life and we're not sure if we're going to label her Monica or Monique in that just yet, but I'm sure one friend will be very happy and gloat about it while the other will get defensive. Her friends are weird. We try to ignore them."
    Fixed that for you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Also, if this thread is too long for people to read, those people won't have gotten far enough into FFVII to meet Aeristh anyway.
    Aaaah. Much better

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

"Hi, I'm her parent. No, her name is Monica. We wanted to call her Monica but we accidentally put Monique on the birth certificate, and now she goes around calling herself Monique anyway (which she does not, you just believe it based on a mistranslation), as do a lot of her friends. But at some points in her life she has also called herself Monica, so her name is totally Monica. But to be honest, when we enhanced the videos/stories we had of her during the times she called herself Monique (except it was in the late 90s already explained that it was a mistranslation) in those videos/stories, we decided to keep calling her Monique. We've just found out that there is additional writing/footage of that stage in her life and we're not sure if we're going to label her Monica or Monique in that just yet, but I'm sure one friend will be very happy and gloat about it while the other will get defensive. Her friends are weird. We try to ignore them."
    Fixed that for you.
    Final Fantasy VII was released on Steam in 2013, with new, additional material that still used the name "Aeris". So how exactly was that "only in the late '90s"?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nailed it.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Nailed it.
    Go home, you're drunk. But yeah, you are right. She has always been called and intended Aerith (mother's belly: Square's mind as Earisu standing for Aerith). Thank you for confirming this. Aeris is about as right as "It's all in there, read it sorgfältig durch und unterzeichne ihn dann, ja?" in the German version.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-18-2016 at 03:23 PM.