Thread: Aeris or Aerith

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What does it matter, she's just the slum drunk anyways.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

A slummer by any other name would smell as drunk
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Friggin Rebecca always causing problems for everyone

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i swear she is called Jason

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think I actually called her SlumDrunk in one of my last play throughs. I've also called her Dead. It really doesn't matter what is right but its always fun to argue I guess since there is no definitive right answer. A correct translation, sure. But yeah.

The incorrect translation is a part of the charm to me for some of these games anyways (not that this applies to the Aeris/Aerith debate anyways.) This guy are sick. Make sure you look for something called secret. Etc etc.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I called her Bumface. I don't think SlumDrunk would have fit, but I could be wrong.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

yep it would. just. ff7 has 9 character limit. and ff9 has 7. my way of remembering

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    yep it would. just. ff7 has 9 character limit. and ff9 has 7. my way of remembering
    And now I will never forget these details.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    And now I will never forget these details.
    YOU NO CAN STEAL RECIPE

Blog Entries

This is kind of like arguing over color or colour. Different people spell different. I'm pretty sure it all plays out the same no matter what you call her.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    This is kind of like arguing over color or colour. Different people spell different. I'm pretty sure it all plays out the same no matter what you call her.
    Colour and color are both officially right spellings. Aeris is not. Not appropriate. In terms of preference? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sora_lion_heart View Post
    Colour and color are both officially right spellings. Aeris is not. Not appropriate. In terms of preference? Yes.
    In the case of Aeris we have the name included in the game itself, in the manuals, in every piece of promotional work done for the game, and more, including officially licensed guides and products.

Or we have the name that has not been included as a final text in any release or rerelease of the game EVER. She's Aeris in the West, and エアリス in Japan. She is "Aerith" only temporarily, and never revealed to the player as such, so declaring that as her true name is less canonically accurate than declaring Cloud's true name to be "Ex-SOLDIER".

You obviously have no idea about canonicity and are not willing to know more about it and you would understand then that it is axiomatic that owners (intellectually/legally) define canonicity of fiction. She is intended as Aerith, she is called Aerith, her name is in the non-mistranslated code as Aerith, the official Desktopbackground of the PC version of 98 is called Aerith, it has been revealed she is Aerith. She is Aerith. You are just ignoring facts for bias. I totally agree that you guys can call her what you want. That is not the problem of your posts though.

You know when people are making up rules about canonicity like the everyday DBZ fan to just make it fit their view of reality and ignore the owner so they do not need to admit they are wrong and even think "I do not like new stuff therefore it is trout/not canonical" is appropriate, the dicussion has no sense being continued. I hate to say something like that but there is a point, where it is just no use.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-19-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    You obviously have no idea about canonicity and are not willing to know more about it and you would understand then that it is axiomatic that owners (intellectually/legally) define canonicity of fiction. She is intended as Aerith, she is called Aerith, her name is in the non-mistranslated code as Aerith, the official Desktopbackground of the PC version of 98 is called Aerith, it has been revealed she is Aerith. She is Aerith. You are just ignoring facts for bias. I totally agree that you guys can call her what you want. That is not the problem of your posts though.
    canon
    Popularity: Top 20% of words
    a : a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council
    b : a provision of canon law
    [Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin, from Latin, model]
    : the most solemn and unvarying part of the Mass including the consecration of the bread and wine
    [Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin, standard]
    a : an authoritative list of books accepted as Holy Scripture
    b : the authentic works of a writer
    c : a sanctioned or accepted group or body of related works <the canon of great literature>
    a : an accepted principle or rule
    b : a criterion or standard of judgment
    c : a body of principles, rules, standards, or norms
    [Late Greek kanōn, from Greek, model]
    : a contrapuntal musical composition in which each successively entering voice presents the initial theme usually transformed in a strictly consistent way

2canon
    noun can·on
    Definition of canon
    : a clergyman belonging to the chapter or the staff of a cathedral or collegiate church

canonplay
    noun can·on \ˈka-nən\
    Definition of canon
    : a rule or law of a church
    : an accepted rule <He follows the canons of good taste.>

Huh. I don't see that in ANY definition of the word ANYWHERE.

Let's try something else...

Ooh, here's a good one: Literary Canon.

More often than not, it is those works that are considered contextually relevant that gain entry into the canon. This means that the literary work is relevant to ongoing trends or movements in thought and art, or address historical or contemporary events, etc.

Often, the popularity of a literary work is based not only on the quality, but the relevance of its subject matter to historical, social, and artistic context. A popular or respected literary work usually deals with what people are most interested in, and this interest weighs in on whether or not the work is canonized.
    So, speaking from the sense of canonical literature, canon is owned by whomever collects the canon material, based on importance and relevance of the subject matter.

Therefore, when I say that the only canon name for Aeris is Aeris, I am 100% correct. As is the statement that the only game that matters for determining the canon of Final Fantasy VII is, in fact, Final Fantasy VII, as that is the work which is included in this canonical gathering.

I agree with Skyblade. Aeris all the way.

Also, screw Genesis and that Compilation BS. Square sure loves crapping on FFVII's legacy.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia