Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best overall Disney soundtrack

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    NAAAAAAAAAANTS INGONYAMAAAAAAAAA BAGITHI BABAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
    ENWAA HABITCHI SABA SAAAANA, ENWAA HABITCHI SABA SAAAANA

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    If I wanted to read garbage I would just go over to the Gun Thread and read posts by Laserface.

(SPOILER)Joking, I now love you even more. Does Night Fury know about us yet?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

If I wanted to read garbage I would just go over to the Gun Thread and read posts by Laserface.

(SPOILER)Joking, I now love you even more. Does Night Fury know about us yet?
    (SPOILER)idk do you know about me and your girl yet?

• Hunchback
    • Aladdin
    • Hercules
    • The Little Mermaid
    • Snow White
    • And Nightmare Before Christmas !

Does Night Fury know about us yet?
    It's not even 7am here and we've both already joked about banging Pheesh behind Night Fury's back.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

The one that has little to no singing in it, though if that singing was some death metal then automatic win for hilarity

Blog Entries

Ooooh, this cat has claws.....miaowwww!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

The soundtrack to Pocahontas is beautiful. A true work of art, and easily my favorite Disney album.

Treasure Planet and Atlantis: The Lost Empire both have wonderful soundtracks as well that are grossly overlooked because their respective films bombed. James Newton Howard is brilliant.

Although if we're ignoring scores and strictly focusing on vocal songs, that's a different story. The Hunchback of Notre Dame definitely has some of the more powerful pieces in that department, but I'd have to say The Lion King is well...king. Every song is just perfectly used and so memorable and lovingly crafted that you can't help but get a warm fuzzy feeling when you hear them.
    Last edited by DMKA; 02-03-2016 at 02:26 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

What about Mary Poppins

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of the soundtrack overall, this might be the best Disney song I've heard.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hellfire is an exceptional villain song, Kalevala! What I like about Hunchback is pretty much all of the songs have the same melody in them somewhere, and the way they change the tone of it to suit each song is wonderful. Like with Heaven's Light and Hellfire.

Mulan has a wonderful soundtrack.

I'll Make a Man out of You is my GET PUMPED UP song.

There have been many great Disney soundtracks over the years. Walt Disney himself insisted that music plays a very important role in his feature length films and shorts. As much as I'd like to say that The Lion King or equally beautiful stuff such as Alan Menken's the Hunchback of Notre Dame or Beauty and the Beast had the best soundtrack (not to mention that terrific trio of James Newton Howard scores for Dinosaur, Atlantis and Treasure Planet), there really is no question in my mind that out of all the soundtracks for the Disney Animated Canon, Bambi is the most accomplished and very resonant even today.

The score and the songs are integrated into the narrative well, each theme referenced throughout, and they evolve over the course of the soundtrack. Not only do we have great songs such as "Love is a Song", "Let's Sing a Gay Little Spring Song" and "Looking for Romance", the score also presents many interesting themes, one of the most memorable being the sinister three-note theme for Man who is never seen on screen but whose actions affect all the animals throughout the film. The only time the ever-present music is absent from the film is when Bambi suffers his personal trauma, and that silence is a very effective way of conveying the shock of the scene. Bambi, to me, is thus the pinnacle of Disney's musical direction and a true classic that stands over other impressive Disney scores.

As for the weakest entry in the canon, I'd almost want to nominate Chicken Little with its atrocious use of songs. However, John Debney's competent, thematic score saves the soundtrack from being a total loss. With that in mind, I suppose the weakest soundtrack overall (with mediocre songs and score) might be the Sword in the Stone for me. That soundtrack does have some nice moments (the squirrel love scene, the wizards' duel and the ending in particular) and isn't awful by any means, but the problem is that most of it is quite bland and forgettable and plays a secondary role to the film itself throughout much of it. When you compare it to the great body of work for the canon, it simply can't compare. It's somewhat surprising to me as George Bruns composed the score, and he's usually no slouch when it comes to scoring films (animated and otherwise); ditto for the Sherman Brothers whose songs were also a miss for the most part. I suppose the film and its music became the casualty of Walt's shifting interest from animation to Disneyland and EPCOT at that point, and it's a shame.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki