Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fightbruary

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    The noises were annoying though, my goodness.
    WHOOPSIE!!!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    But the best of the 2D era MKs was MK Trilogy. It kinda mixed the first III games, much like Armageddon mixed the 3D games.
    Best in terms of character options and stages perhaps, but Trilogy actually managed to be the worst playing version of MK3 which was already a worse playing game than MK2 if you ask me. And I'd probably say the exact same about Armageddon to be honest. Don't even get me started on it's god awful create a fatality thing. Take one of the best parts of the games and give everyone the exact same fatality moves? That was a brilliant idea.

But I will say that none of these games compare to Shaolin Monks. It may not be a fighting game, but damn if it isn't the most entertaining MK ever made.

Articles
    Blog Entries

They got pretty lazy on the fatalities with 3. Everything was pretty much some variant of an exploded skeleton. If Trilogy didn't have the large cast (and the PlayStation version let you play as the super bosses) I probably wouldn't have gone back to it as much as I did.

MK3 was largely forgettable for me even as a kid.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    But the best of the 2D era MKs was MK Trilogy. It kinda mixed the first III games, much like Armageddon mixed the 3D games.
    Best in terms of character options and stages perhaps, but Trilogy actually managed to be the worst playing version of MK3 which was already a worse playing game than MK2 if you ask me. And I'd probably say the exact same about Armageddon to be honest. Don't even get me started on it's god awful create a fatality thing. Take one of the best parts of the games and give everyone the exact same fatality moves? That was a brilliant idea.

But I will say that none of these games compare to Shaolin Monks. It may not be a fighting game, but damn if it isn't the most entertaining MK ever made.
    I thought Trilogy played better than MKIII.

I liked the fatality thing in Armageddon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 3rd - Battle Arena Toshinden

So tonight was a good night for me! I started out of the gate strong and won the first 3/4 matches. Things ended pretty evenly, but for a while there, I was the winner! Especially impressive seeing as how I have never played this game before. Oh we also actually got all of the generic storyish mode done because the game is super short!

It was pretty fun. It apparently was one of the first of it's kind. It uses a lot of 3D movement when not many other games were doing that and it incorporated weapon fighting like Soul Calibur, but before Soul Calibur. It really does use a lot of the 3D movement, although it's pretty rough. The movement is almost too smooth and you go jumping and flipping across the screen way too easily.

Falling off the edge is also much too easy. Probably the best moment of the night was when sharky fell off the stage during the VICTORY POSE. It's not set up to well and you'll fall off the edge if you go near it, instead of when you should actually fall off. It's almost like you're on ice. The backgrounds are AWFUL. But it was a lot of fun and Ellis is the best thing ever

SHE NEVER GIVES UP
    Last edited by Pumpkin; 02-06-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also note that the posts are linked to the schedule on the first page. In pink

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ahhhh, early 3D games!

It does look pretty awful, especially that top screenshot. I see Sofia is wearing typical mid-90's garb with her hot pants and huge cleavage.

I think I've got Tekken 2 on my Vita. I'm not a fighting game fan at all anymore but I might just give that a whirl. This thread has put me in the mood

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You should And post about it in the official Fightbruary thread

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

So, lesson learned. I'm really bad at these games now. I lose all the time.

Don't worry though, because INEVAHGIVEUP!.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think my brother played this game when I was little. Not sure. Is there a kind of story mode with still images and voice over work?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 4th - Tekken 1, 2, and 3

So today we were supposed to play Tekken 3, but sharky said he had 1 and 2 on his Tekken 5 copy and apparently, APPARENTLY, 29 fighting games was just not enough fighting games.

So it was a bit of a rough night at the start, honestly. Original Tekken was original Tekken. Jack was super oddly proportioned and and Nina looked like an ad for plastic surgery gone wrong. I did not win one fight. Not one. Paul is a horrible bastard. There, I said it.

Tekken 2 was more fun because of nostalgia. It was actually the FIRST GAME I EVER PLAYED EVER, so it was neato to go back and see like, wow, I remember this. There was a really good selection of characters, so that was fun. It was also interesting to go back to how some characters used to play and used to be similar to each other. JUN, my first favourite video game character ever!!

Sadly, because this was a nostalgia trip, it reinforced the point that I haven't played this game in over 10 years and I was crap at it. And I lost again. A lot. Like a lot.

Next was Tekken 3 and, I'm going to be honest, I was pretty fed up by this point. I don't think many people have fun when they can't win and basically just sit there getting beat up. This is another game I used to love but haven't played in a long long time. Sharky, apparently, spent a lot of time and effort and even won a minor tournament. This led to some very frustrating fights where I would lose to some mega-King combo and there was just nothing I could do. I may as well have not even been in the fights.

So we took a break from it because I was feeling pretty crap at this point about myself. But it was okay when we came back. We started with Tekken ball which is super fun and not possible to be mad at. I won most of those rounds because I am good at hitting a ball. This also allowed me to re-familiarize myself with the controls a bit. When we started the actual fights, sharky agreed to bench King and used other characters that he was still very competent with, just not AS competent. I won with Xiaoyu, who is still one of my favourite characters, and it was slightly more evenly matched. I still lost a bunch but I had a lot more fun the second time around~

It was also fun to see the series progress as well

Articles
    Blog Entries

You shut your mouth about Paul, you heathen!

Tekken 2 was the first game I played on the PlayStation. Good times. I always enjoyed King, the purple devil, and the angel. The latter two always shot laser beams which was cool.

I got to play Tekken 1 last year on the same month, and, well, yes, original Tekken was original Tekken.
    My mom also thought King was cute and liked the look of the game. Yes, my mom read my reviews. SHE'S SEEN THEM ALL!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I had Tekken 2 but never really got into it that much. Tekken 3, on the other hand, I absolutely adored. That game is the reason I still buy Tekken games to this day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 5th - Soul Calibur II

So today was a good day for me! It is time to move on to PS2 era games and after an absurd amount of defeats yesterday, I won the most matches today. Yay me! I think it ended up at something like 18-11, or something like that. I was both amazed and surprised at how well I was doing, especially since he was able to clear the story mode in III when we played a few weeks ago, and I was not.

I even won with Astaroth, the horribly brutish and terribly slow dude that I have never really used before because that's just not my style. But overall it was actually pretty close. Even the rounds I did win were not easy victories and it was fun because there were a lot of moves and blocks and doges and it made for exciting rounds because neither of us won easily.

The game was really fun. I very much enjoy using Talim, she might just be my favourite fighting game character gameplay wise. We also did the VS Extra mode or whatever it's called where we got to use all of the weapons sharky had unlocked. There were some silly ones and some nice ones, so that was fun too. We also watched some of the form videos which were pretty neat. Overall it was a good time and I enjoyed it a lot. There were some pretty tense matches which was a lot of fun

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Love SCII. I got the GameCube version because of Link.