Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fightbruary

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Look at all those characters! I'd be lost!

Articles
    Blog Entries

You can barely see their faces.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I have fun with it, and I think that considering all the stuff from the show they're trying to incorporate the fighting system isn't too bad, it's just very different from a....real fighting game. Sorry if I'm hurting feelings.

I just did the quick math, and there's 88 character choices on that screen. 7 of them are support only, and probably another 20 are just different versions of the same characters, but still. That probably leaves around 50 characters.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 24th - Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!!

Hard to believe Fightbruary is almost over! Well today we played another one of my favourite 2D fighting games, Arcana Heart 3! It's entirely female characters and it's just so over the top and ridiculous, and I love it. There's hearts and sentient water bubbles and vampire roller skaters and ninjas and magicians. Just so much fun.

So I think I won this one according to sharky. It was pretty even. I think in the end it was 12 to 11 or something like that. I won with a lot of my favourite characters, which is great, but lost with one of them. Some characters I just absolutely cannot do anything useful with and he was whipping out killer combos.

Some of that might be the different controls. I use Simple and he uses Normal. While Simple is easier to do certain things, it's much harder to put together combos. It is easier in Simple mode to use your support elemental thing, although with Simple you're locked in to their default support, whereas in Normal you are free to choose the one you want. It affects your attacks and stuff. Anyways, it was really fun, I enjoyed it!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Haha, that water kick at the top looks awesome!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 25th - BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma

So I wasn't super pumped about this game. I don't like it very much. Although, to be fair, I found it more enjoyable than I had imagined. I think a lot of it was story and stuff. I didn't enjoy the story. I personally found it rather fanfictiony and pretentious, but. A lot of people really like it so don't let my opinion dissuade you if it looks like something you might enjoy. Even the gameplay though, while it was fine, was nothing special or amazing and was kind of just boring.

So I won by a huge margin. I was on the stylish controls, which are the easier controls, because I really dislike the technical controls of this game. So I probably wouldn't have won by as much as I did had I switched. Don't worry though, he will more than make it up to me tomorrow when we play the last Tekken game on the list. Oh boy! Perhaps my Fightbruary win streak is finally coming to an end.

While I dislike a lot of things about this game, there are a few characters I really enjoy. Platinum-the-Trinity is just so over the top and ridiculous and I love her. It's literally a 3-way split personality and I love those characters. Her attacks and animations are also very goofy and fun, which I really like. A few other fun ones to use. So it wasn't too bad but I won't be racing to play this again anytime soon.

Don't worry, I don't really like BlazBlue games much either for some reason. It's hard to pin down what I dislike. Though I don't really like Guilty Gear either. But at least they have a few other fighting games I enjoy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 26th - Tekken Tag Tournament 2

So today was our last Tekken game and, indeed, one of our final games. Three left after this, wow. So I was initially very nervous and very disappointed because this game DIDN'T ALLOW FOR HANDICAPS. And considering how badly I get beaten in the other Tekkens WITH a handicap... well, I was pretty nervous.

It ended up, amazingly, better than I expected. The final count was something like 17-15, so it was pretty close to even. The last few rounds were more goofing around rounds because I wanted to use Xiaoyu, Miharu, Lili, and Anna a few more times, as they are my favourites. I was happy to see Miharu back, she doesn't get to be in too many games. I even won a round against the Kings! That was a totally unexpected fluke, but I'll take it. sharky is still a beast using Jin though, I can't move or attack or I'll get countered and destroyed.

So I hadn't played as much as I thought because some of the ladies didn't even have custom outfits, which was a bummer. The customization options are a bit limited though, I fine. So I guess I gave up. BUT Miharu's outfit that I made for her was adorable and gorgeous and I'm super happy I had it. Shame I can't share it but I really liked it. Especially her shoes. She had this cute little pink heels. And I gave her a cute hairo and some jean shorts and a jacket. You don't care. I might play some more to unlock more stuff. There's also some gorgeous arenas. I especially like the Arctic Dream one (not pictured).

Articles
    Blog Entries

The graphics look pretty swell.

Wow, I am not a fan of Tekken, but if I were to get any of them, that looks like the one to get. I love tag fighting in DoA and the Capcom Vs series and stuff, so that would be a big bonus. And look at that roster...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 27th - Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition

So we were debating between Skullgirls Encore and this game but they both cost the same amount and Skullgirls only had 9 characters, plus 5 DLC characters that cost $5 each, whereas this game has a lot more characters so... yeah. We went with this one. While I'm not a huge comic book fan and I didn't know many of the characters, some of them were still a lot of fun to use. Harley Quinn was my favourite, she's very acrobatic, but not very strong.

So in this game you get two life bars instead of two rounds. There was a good variety of characters. In the end, he won by one round because we decided to do another fun bonus round at the end when it was tied up. It was really close though and I did much better than I was expecting to. We both went in to this one blind because neither of us knew how to play or had played before. We also had totally different play styles so he was good with characters I wasn't and vice versa. This led to some Catwoman disappointment.

The moves are a bit inconsistent, I feel. It's also a bit still and guarding isn't as responsive as it should be. You can use your environment though, which I really liked and was actually very good at. I probably wouldn't have won nearly as much as I did if not for that. There were also way too many Batman backgrounds though and not too many of them were that pretty looking. Overall it was a fun game for the price and I look forward to doing a proper playthrough, but not my favourite fighting game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

February 28th - Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Second last day of Fightbruary! It goes by so quickly. So today we played the two player mode of Dragon Ball Xenoverse. Sharky had never played this game before so we started out with a tutorial thing and then he got a lot better as time went on. It also took a bit to figure out how to do the two-player because I hadn't done it before, but we got it sorted, no worries, you guys. I do get to play MKX with my Vita tomorrow if we get that to work. Woo that'll probably be terrible.

I didn't have all of the characters unlocked and there are some duplicates like 3 Friezas, so taking those out it was still a pretty decent cast. Earlier this month I rushed through some story to unlock Android 18 and Videl because there are BARELY ANY LADY CHARACTERS AT ALL, which is actually really frustrating. They can throw in Hercule who can't fight, but they can't add more women? Ugh. With my character it made 3 women total. But we get Raspberry and other mooks so... you know

I won. Wasn't surprising because I played the game a lot more. He still did really well though and it wasn't a blow out. The characters aren't balanced, they aren't supposed to be, it more follows the storyline. The gameplay is also much much different than the average fighting game. So it was a nice change of pace and it was pretty fun. There was only one arena for the local two player though, which was kind of boring. But oh well. Fun change of pace, some pretty fun gameplay and some funny scenes.

This game was so fun. And it really shouldn't have been. With such a rocky development cycle, and so much missed potential. But lordy it was fun to play and doof around in. I never really bothered with the multiplayer options. But I am glad this game exists and glad to own it. I really really hope there's a sequel since they actually managed to set some really nice groundwork with this one

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Dragonball game looks awesome!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I dislike duplicate characters. They just seem a bit of a cop out.