Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there hope for a remake/updated port?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Wasn't that announcement a misunderstanding about a remastered soundtrack?
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Quote Originally Posted by FinalxxSin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Remake no, but remaster yes. The announcement was suppose to be remaster instead of remake.
    I was going to mention this! But didn't the guy who announced it screw up? I heard that it wasn't confirmed :S

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Considering FFIX took...

16 years to get a remake, we've got at least 6 more years until you should give up hope.
    Is this referring to a PSN port or am I missing something?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Considering FFIX took...

16 years to get a remake, we've got at least 6 more years until you should give up hope.
    Is this referring to a PSN port or am I missing something?
    FFIX is getting a HD re-release on Steam.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I can see FFXII getting re-released in HD sometime. I don't think it has much to do with how much they worry about how it will sell - they remade FFII, for goodness sake. I think it is more a case of "how easy will it be to remake/port this game, and will the older consoles be old enough to justify people buying a new game". I think we'll see FFXII ported to PSN eventually though, at the bare minimum, and I would be surprised if it never gets the HD treatment applied.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

In terms of ease, I think FF12 is a simpler game to "remaster" than FF9.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Rin Heartilly View Post
    I was going to mention this! But didn't the guy who announced it screw up? I heard that it wasn't confirmed :S
    Far as I know, the only mistake was the person talking about it too early and getting remake confused for remaster. There is no reason for Square not to, especially since the western part of the world never got the international version in the first place. Although FFXII isn't my favorite out of the FF mainline games I have played, I would be willing to play through it again to fight the five judges.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    In terms of ease, I think FF12 is a simpler game to "remaster" than FF9.
    I guess that partly depends on whether or not they backed up the release code in a format they can still access.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

I can't imagine they wouldn't, when they did with FFX, X-2 and FFXI.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

A full on remaster will probably not happen anytime soon, but it'll probably get ported to PC eventually, if the recent actions of Square Enix are anything to go by. But knowing Square Enix it'll just be a lazy 1:1 port with no extra touches that's poorly optimized (although, FFXII upscaled with its original PS2 graphics still looks fantastic).

That's probably as good as you're going to get though. FFXII gets treated like the ugly stepchild of FF games by Square Enix for some strange reason. That, and FFXII used all sorts of wacky techniques to get it to look and play the way it did on the PS2, even going as far as registering double the framerate that the game is actually running to get everything to sync correctly. Any remastering or porting would be quite a bit more difficult than it was with FFX/X-2.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I just got a HDMI adapter for my PS2 and it looks pretty great, but I can sympathize with people wanting to not have to dig out an old console. And if the PS3 and 4 won't do it, then I approve of Steam getting to carry the torch

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

what exactly does the hdmi adapter do?

I don't know the specifics of it. But it plays in 480p/i. I believe it converts the analog signal. But without the big expensive converter. I'm not sure how they accomplished it. They're about $20 or less on Amazon. And there's one for the Wii as well. We have a component cable hooked up to the other PS2 in the house, and I was going to just buy another one of those, but this is handy since HDMI is basically the standard now. But the quality is pretty much the same since it's just the component signal displayed with HDMI input. It doesn't do any upscaling or anything that I'm aware of. But my TV isn't grumpy about displaying 480p or 480i so it all works out. You still see pixelation and jagged edges, but it's crisp pixelation and jaggies lol

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

so it's basically the same as my component cable that i plug directly into my tv, then, i guess

Effectively, yes. It's better for me since I have a Wii component cable, and a PS2 component cable. And both TVs in the house only have one component input. We used to have to buy an expensive converter, but this is much easier, and smaller. I can take the PS2 anywhere now and there's always an HDMI input available

There's also a really noticeable difference in quality. Which probably goes without saying, but since I had both options already available on the Wii, I'd experimented a bit with things like Xenoblade chronicle, and as pretty as that game is, it doesn't look a whole lot different in component. Maybe it upscales better on the WiiU. But FFXII has pretty big difference between the two; actually the PS2 itself seems to benefit a lot more than the Wii. I'm not sure why that is, but its definitely worth getting a component cable or a similar adapter of sorts to mine