Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cover Legitimately Makes Me Mad

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I misread - it is an unnamed Warrior of Light posing like an Onion Knight from Dissidia.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what the big deal is. While Lightning isn't the main character of FFXIII-2, she is still a fairly important character in her own right and basically kickstarts the game by motivating Serah to go off on a journey.

You have Noel and Serah as a pair throughout the game, but you also have Caius and Lightning as a second pair, fighting their timeless battle. Having the main villain and deuteragonist on the cover is pretty par for the course for FF logos.

And they're only logos, they're meant to represent a key aspect of the game. Serah and Noel are important, yeah, but Lightning's and Caius's timeless war against each other is a central theme of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    I'm not sure what the big deal is. While Lightning isn't the main character of FFXIII-2, she is still a fairly important character in her own right and basically kickstarts the game by motivating Serah to go off on a journey.

You have Noel and Serah as a pair throughout the game, but you also have Caius and Lightning as a second pair, fighting their timeless battle. Having the main villain and deuteragonist on the cover is pretty par for the course for FF logos.

And they're only logos, they're meant to represent a key aspect of the game. Serah and Noel are important, yeah, but Lightning's and Caius's timeless war against each other is a central theme of the game.
    So you think it's fair that Noel, the best character in XIII-2 and infinitely more important than Lightning in said game, isn't on a single cover of the game in existence? That Lightning is the face of a game she's barely even in to the expense of a new character who actually needs the advertisement?

Noel is the one with an actual relation to Caius. It's a foundation of the game of the game's plot. Lightning is just some bimbo yanked by Etro to protect her. She's literally cosmic middle management who delegates the task of save existence to Serah and Noel while she takes a nap.

And that deserves putting her on the cover of the game instead of the main characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Also it turns out that the FFXIII cover is Cocoon, but it also features Fang and Vanille apparently. Also not MCs.
    That's arguable. FFXIII is an ensemble piece, Vanille at least is probably the most important party member overall.

^

Yes but the player is being led to believe that Lightning is the main character of the story again, when really it's Serah's turn in the spotlight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

We yanks were kind of spoiled on this front. Well, as far back as VII, anyway.

VI/III American cover had a random moogle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Cloud is on the cover of FFVII
    Squall, Seifer and Rinoa for FFVIII
    FFIX party for FFIX
    Tidus and Yuna in X
    YRP in X-2
    Full XII party on FFXII...I think, I forget for certain

See a a pttern? It's almost like putting a character on the cover of a game is advertisement... like "you should get this game to be this character!" or something. Crazy, I know but just a hunch.
    I have Final Fantasy VII 8 times and Cloud is only on one cover.

I have 8 3 times and Squall is only Amano style on it.

Zidane is only on one of. American Version.

Tidus is on ... how many times do I have X ... 5 times. He is on 2 of them, depending on how I count the Special Editions but Yuna is of course.

Yuna is on all of X and X-2.

Lightning is the main character of the Trilogy ... I have 13-1 twice and she is on one or no cover depending on me counting the Special Edition box or not, she is on all three of my XIII-2s (Amano style) and on all 2 of my 13-3s but when it comes to significance that is fair enough.

Really, what is on the cover is of no relevance as long as it looks fine enough. I prefer just the Amano art and that's it but I am not getting mad because of it. I do not really care about Kain or Golbez or Gabranth even though I think they have less the right to be on the cover than characters like Lightning or Zack have.

Also there is a difference between the relevance and intention of the Amano art cover and additional stuff that is on it (which is normally not even the case, only some extra for American versions). When it comes to the Amano art for XIII-2, Lightning's role with her ongoing battle against Caius is very important, whether you are playing her or not. Not super-duper main focus important so I can understand that but not less okay than some other random stuff on the covers.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-04-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

All FF games should have a Chocobo on the cover. Honestly try and tell me that a Chocobo will make you mad *cough*chocobododging*cough*

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post

That's MOG you ignorant pleb!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

They all look alike to me.

So, we've descended to moogleism, have we? Shame on you, Ayen.

I like the XIII-2 cover art. So...

Well I don't like Lightning. I don't buy into Toriyama's aggressive "YOU WILL LOVE MY WAIFU!!!!!" marketing. No, I don't care that I can make her tits bigger in LR, sorry.

I like Serah and Noel and Caius and Yeul. They're pretty much the main character of XIII-2. Why can't they be on the cover? Well, I guess Caius kinda is...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post

So, we've descended to moogleism, have we? Shame on you, Ayen.
    I'm not a moogelist. I have plenty of moogle friends! I build moogle houses! I defended them in the war!

That's Moogle racist !

Blog Entries

Too me she is too much of a big deal in Final Fantasy XIII-2. I mean she shows up and becomes the first character you can play as. It's HER story and war. After that you got two characters to find Lightning.

Also from playing so much I got control over two Lightning crystals. I mean i got a rav and com lightning. One uses Army of One (Lightnings ultimate move from XIII) and one uses Legion of One which is a exclusive. So too me she was an over used character in XIII-2. You can get Lightning Com right in the beginning of the game.

So I understand Noel and Serah need more attention since they are the characters you play as. However didn't they give free posters in every game with Noel and Serah starring at Lightning and Caius fighting? I sure got one.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

I have no XIII-2 poster. I'd like one.