Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Prince of Egypt

The Prince of Egypt is a fine animated film and arguably the best film in Dreamworks's oeuvre so far. Everything about it is big like a Biblical epic should be, yet it doesn't become stiff like certain epics of yesteryear, and it does give room for more intimate scenes that show us the characters' growth and motivation. The animation is top notch, and CGI is used for breathtaking sequences (the opening shots, the Burning Bush, the Plagues sequence and most impressively the parting of the Red Sea which is a sight to behold), the actors do a fine job (although I'd argue that our Finnish dub is even better than the English original) and God is handled in a very interesting yet respectful manner.

The music is equally phenomenal. Stephen Schwartz continued his streak of great songs with equally intriguing lyrics that work very well. It says something when the weakest song in the film is "Playing with the Big Boys Now" which is already good; although that song becomes a bit too comedic for my taste, it's still a very catchy tune with great visuals. The powerful opening has "Deliver Us", arguably one of the best opening scenes in any animated film; it's even more awesome when you learn that Efra Haza, who played the role of the Mother, actually sang her part phonetically in over two dozen dubs, including our Finnish one. Based on what I've heard of those dubs, she did a very good job, and I can understand why the film makers wanted her to reprise her role for the dubs as her voice is one of those unforgettable ones without which the song wouldn't quite be the same. We also have "All I Ever Wanted", which is sadly rather short but has a very haunting feel to it and helps convey Moses's troubled thoughts. "Through Heaven's Eyes" is a joyous celebration which lifts us from the darkness into the light, and Brian Stokes Mitchell shines in it with his powerful voice. "The Plagues" is downright apocalyptic, and what really impressed me in it was the duet between Moses and Ramses, the latter being none other than Ralph Fiennes himself who showed he could sing. The emotional highlight is, fittingly, "When You Believe" which accompanies a great montage sequence with a very touching, memorable melody and a nice duet between Michelle Pfeiffer and Sally Dworsky which adds in a Hebrew children's choir and, ultimately, the entire might of the full ensemble.

Hans Zimmer and his team of ghostwriters (many of whom would become notable composers later on like Harry Gregson-Williams) managed to tackle the score in a suitably bombastic yet ethnic manner that respected the location, era and the source text. Zimmer was really worried about how he'd musically depict God as he didn't want to imitate the religious film scores of past greats like Alfred Newman and Miklós Rózsa. What resulted from it was a very flexible theme which can just as easily be caring, threatening, majestic and mystical. God's Theme shows up in all its glory in one of the best scenes in the film, "the Burning Bush", which shows us everything we need to know about God in this story. Zimmer may have composed quite a bit of mediocre stuff since then, but God's Theme is one of his and his team's greatest compositions in how simple it is yet how well it works in and out of the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Also one of the songs from the second movie, about joseph, was pretty good. The one where he is in prison.
    You mean "You Know Better Than I"? Yeah, it's a good song (my favourite from that film) even if a bit too contemporary. I really like the balance between the piano and the singer in it until the orchestra slowly comes in and lifts it up just like Joseph's spirit is lifted up by his faith in God.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

- Is one of the best animated movies of all time

- Is somehow underrated, overlooked and ignored

????

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Plagues is my favorite song in the entire movie. Still listen to it on occasion.