Thread: The Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile

Default The Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile

What do you think of these movies? They're both Stephen King movies. They're both written and directed by a man named Frank Darabont. They both take place inside a prison, only one has a tragic ending (Green Mile) and the other one has a more uplifting ending. Ironically enough, they both have an innocent man convicted of a crime that he did not commit.

Anyway, I really like the acting in both movies, specifically Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) and Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding (Morgan Freeman) not to mention Paul Edgecomb (Tom Hanks) and John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan).

Articles
    Blog Entries

Don't think I've seen The Shawshank Redemption, but I did see The Green Mile when I was younger. It was good and served as my introduction to Michael Clarke Duncan. Ending was sad, and messed up if I remember right. (SPOILER)He basically ends up having to take the hard way on the chair as they didn't/couldn't use the water they always had to make it painless.

"Yeah, right. That's the way it is. It's down there and I'm in here. I guess it comes down to a simple choice really; get busy living or get busy dying."

"Get busy living or get busy dying, that's God damn right!"

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Don't think I've seen The Shawshank Redemption, but I did see The Green Mile when I was younger. It was good and served as my introduction to Michael Clarke Duncan. Ending was sad, and messed up if I remember right. (SPOILER)He basically ends up having to take the hard way on the chair as they didn't/couldn't use the water they always had to make it painless.
    Not quite
    (SPOILER) It's another prisoner earlier in the film who is executed horribly as the sponge isn't wet (the mean guard deliberately leaves it dry). Coffey asks that they don't put a hood over his head though when they execute him.

Shawshank is an amazing film, one of my favourites. The Green Mile is good but it all feels a bit overwhelming in the end and the sentiment gets a bit too much.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I had never seen the Shawshank Redemption because I randomly thought it was a stuffy period drama for the longest time. I saw a post by EoFF's very own I Took The Red Pill saying it was his favourite movie and I was like "huh. Well okay. I'll give it a go if he says it's good" and yeah, it was very different from what I thought it was so Keith I am eternally grateful to you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

They're both amazing. The Green Mile is one of those films that will consistently bring me dangerously close to the eye sweats. I can't recommend them both enough to people who haven't seen them before.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like Shawshank but I prefer The Green Mile because Tom Hanks

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Both of these films are truly excellent.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Both films are great, but The Shawshank Redemption will always be one of my favourite films of all time. I literally cried tears of happiness the first time I saw the end. Wonderful film.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've never seen Shawshank Redemption (and I really have no interest in it tbh) but The Green Mile is SO so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

TSR is the best movie I've ever seen. The Green Mile was really good too but my thoughts are similar to charlie's.

Has anyone seen 'The Majestic' from the same director? It got mixed reviews but I personally liked it a lot.

Str8 Pimpin'