Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Pumpkin Plays EarthBound

Ugh I am really going to try to actually finish a Let's Play this time! The Chrono Trigger one I did was a lot of fun and I loved that game, so now I am going to try another classic RPG

EARTHBOUND!

I've heard such good things about this game but have never had the good fortune of playing it. Well, I have played a bit over the weekend and I would like to share my fun adventure times with all of you and also please help me with this game thank you

So I like how I can change the window colour and I of course go with pink because why wouldn't I? I give everyone their default names except for Poo because I refuse to name someone Poo, so I named him Poom or something like that. My favourite foods could not fit in the text box, so I went with nachos, and my favourite thing was Teddy!

So I am on what appears to be the outskirts of this small town, when our protagonist is woken up by screen shaking.

This is my sister and the bat she apparently keeps in a present in her room. I promptly take it. I think it will match my stylish PJ's pretty well. I like how everything happens in the same box. Talk, check, use magic, etc. Taken some getting used to but I am fine with it.

So I go downstairs to talk to my mom

And apparently I want to go check out what's going on. Being a mom though, she can't let me leave the house in PJ's and sends me to get changed.

Digging my stylish new clothes, I head out to see what the commotion is about.

Meteorites, amiright? Not serious at all

So I continue on my journey and meet some odd macho dude on the hill

I

yeah

I head to the meteorite and find the road blocked and the neighbour boy, Pokey, being a nuisance. He tells me I'm being a nuisance though and shoos me back home

Why he needs to speak of himself in this manner, I don't know

Geez this is a long night

The house is awoken by the sound of loud knocking at the door

Thanks mom. You made me get out of bed to answer it when you're 3 feet away. Good parenting

So Picky, Pokey's brother, is stranded on the mountain with the meteorite and Pokey's parents will flip when they get home if Picky is missing. Apparently I have to go find him. I'm the hero the people need

Mom is 100% fine with all of this and my dad just gives me money when I call him

Oh how parenting has changed

So I climb up the mountain and my dog abandons me

Thanks for nothing

Picky was fine, just taking a nap or whatever. All's well that ends well! Except this thing:

And then a bee comes out and tells me about an evil being called Gygas.

Typical stuff, you know

Nice to meet you too

So uh, this is getting pretty heavy. How old is Ness, like 10? Poor kid

This is not sending out any red flags or anything

Well my trek back down the same mountain is not uneventful

This leads to a BOSS FIGHT!!!!!!!

Thankfully Buzz Buzz is on top of his game and does massive damage and protects me with a shield.

Glad he will be with me forever and never leave me

Yes because everything that has happened so far has been relaxing

OH MY GOSH THIS WOMAN IS TERRIFYING

So Pokey and Picky get in trouble

Nah, that's no pro-

Well that escalated quickly

OH MY GOSH ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Alien monster thing: No prob

Housewife and fly swatter: Death is imminent!

Don't worry, he's going to explain relevant info to me before he dies

This all makes about as much sense as everything else that's happened tonight, I guess

So the eventful and odd night passes and nothing odd will ever happen again

Except this random dude takes my picture for some reason?

Well, I did a few other things but didn't get screens of it. I am in Onnett and went to see creeper dude who showed me a sparkly gold statue and I also touched a magical butterfly. I am around level 4.

So how scarce is the money in this? Should I be buying a lot or should I conserve my resources? Any tips on how to proceed here and where I need to go to continue on? You know, so I can avoid it in typical JRPG fashion

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I actually don't remember how easy it is to get money in this game. The only thing about money I remember is your dad giving you an allowance over the phone somehow.

Also, the plot makes perfect, logical sense. Get out there and sanctify the 8 points to defeat Gygas!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

This is one of my all time favorite games! It's a little grind heavy but still love it. Also who wouldn't want to be named Poo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Small update because I have been a busy bee

So I got the map of Onett and it looks like this:

It's quite a big town actually and there was a lot to explore. Luckily my dad kept giving me copious amounts of money so I was able to buy all new equipment from what was available!

My sister, who looks 6, apparently got a job with a moving/storage company, I think?

I also can keep the map for now, until-

Oops.

O...okay

So I go talk to them and they are creepy looking and tell me a place is closed because of Frank. Actually many people are complaining about Frank

So I do, as I am wondering around, get regularly attacked by goons. It's pretty tough at first but luckily my house isn't far so I can rest up for free without having to pay for a hotel stay. It just takes an extra minute to walk. So I get up to level 6 and go find Frank who has taken up residence behind the arcade and also apparently hires some weird kids to do his dirty work

Not the easiest fight, but I succeed!

Apparently he can!

But now I apparently have to fight the sketchy robot that was behind the bushes. This fight was actually considerably easier

There there

So it's a magical place but there's a monster. Oh good

Looks like I have to go see the mayor for the key!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I hope you're really enjoying it. I played it for the first time last year and it's now one of my favorite games ever. I recall the beginning being pretty hard. How was it for you? I see Franky gave you some trouble.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am enjoying it but it's still very early so it's hard to say too much about it yet. It hasn't been super difficult yet because I can rest for free like I said. So I can do a fight or two and go rest and it costs nothing but a few extra seconds. I imagine it will get harder when that's not an easy option anymore and I have to start paying for items and hotels

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I am off to see the Mayor and collecting my billions of dollars of reward money for stopping a criminal that the police couldn't stop

Or billions of dollars

I guess

Mayor is kind of a skeez, it seems

So I head through the shed and in to a cave with this sketchy looking mouse

It's a bit tough at first but with going home to rest and returning, I do pretty well. Get my first offensive spell

Eventually I meet that totally not sketchy thing

Oh

The spell does good damage but he puts up a shield and drains all of my PP :ohnoes: I lose the fight and then have to traverse all the way back through the cave.

This time I beat him! It still wasn't an easy fight, but it was a successful fight. I am now level 11 and enemies run scared from me!!!

I find this weird giant foot print and music and lights start in. I'm told it's recorded on my stone.

So uhh... is that it then?

Random

Back down the mountain where the enemies part like the sea at my presence

Because this game is weird, it actually asks me. I say yes

Darn

Before that though, I go get a good nights rest at home

Strange voice?

Strange voice

Kind of flattering yourself there, aren't you?

So next time we may find this Paula friend and maybe not end up in jail!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I head over to jail, as I was instructed to do

I got yelled at

They won't get more specific than that

And now, for some reason, 5 grown police men are going to beat up on a little boy

Once I defeat four of his men, he takes me on himself

It was one of the easier boss fights I've had

So he opens the roadblocks for me because that's how life works

On my way to the next town (I have discovered they've named these towns in order. Onett/Twoson), I found this mouse house

I bought a mouse. I am low on space in my inventory and I don't want to put too much in storage in case I need it

I arrive in the new town after getting mushroomed a bunch. Turns out hospital dude will pay me to heal me. Yay!

Unfortunate

THIS SEEMS INCREDIBLY CONCERNING

Sounds like a problem this ten year old will have to deal with at some point

I find the sketchiest market ever

Sounds like a clue!

So I find the guy

I almost lost but I pulled it back and it was easier from there

Well this is some intense stuff going on now

Oh it just got worse okay

Also, chubby boy? Hmm

Let's see what happens next time!