Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let's see what the fuss is about.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFVII becomes difficult if you impose self-made challenges on yourself, like starting gear only, or no materia, or a solo run. But for a standard game, FFVII is definitely one of the easier FFs. There are a few spikes in difficulty though; I remember the Lost Number boss being difficult. And of course the superbosses go without saying.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Yeah I agree, I can't stand VII's graphics compared to the other games in the series and the controls are cluuuunky
    Disagree on the controls. I never had a problem with them as a kid or an adult. You want clunky? Go play Broken Helix. Damn game nearly took my thumb off.
    Just because other games exist that are more clunky doesn't mean this game isn't clunky.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'm not sure clunky is the right word. Not for me, anyway. It can be difficult navigating the pre-rendered environments, especially when you are the size of a flea, that is just a tad awkward.

The battle system was very smooth and fluid though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I found changing targets to be unintuitive. Often times I would press in the direction of the enemy I wanted to target and the cursor either wouldn't move or would sometimes end up going towards my own party members. Maybe that's something you get more used to the more you play but it happened to me numerous times.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Yeah I agree, I can't stand VII's graphics compared to the other games in the series and the controls are cluuuunky
    Disagree on the controls. I never had a problem with them as a kid or an adult. You want clunky? Go play Broken Helix. Damn game nearly took my thumb off.
    Just because other games exist that are more clunky doesn't mean this game isn't clunky.
    Way to misunderstand my post. I'm not saying the game isn't clunky because other games are more clunky. I'm saying I don't agree the controls are clunky and giving an example of something I think was.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    I found changing targets to be unintuitive. Often times I would press in the direction of the enemy I wanted to target and the cursor either wouldn't move or would sometimes end up going towards my own party members. Maybe that's something you get more used to the more you play but it happened to me numerous times.
    Yeah, I think this has always been a problem with 2D RPG games. I've actually attacked my own party on numerous occasions playing FFII on my Vita. Much more than on any other FF game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You had to mash the X button? I used to just hold it down. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanmato View Post
    The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though. Also, the enemy designs are horrible. They make less sense than some of the new Pokemon designs. Humanoid guard things that stand in a frog squat? A house that sprouts limbs? I'll have some of whatever the designers were having.
    Combat is one of the most important things to me in every RPG game and if FFVII is basically "Press X to win" game, there's no reason for me to play it.

I feel that FFVII is getting closer to being a truly overrated game, like GTA series, but it's just me...
    That's rich, coming from an FFX fan
    FFVII is more popular and it's praised because... Well, it's the FF-smurfing-VII, right? XD
    I don't say that FFX is "the best in the world", but it's still one of my favourite video games of all times.

Blog Entries

The bad? The combat is booooring. I usually just read the forum and mash attack for most battles and then cure in between battles if it's necessary. I've died once so far and that was to the Air Buster. I got a bit reckless with not curing or using potions and discovered I only had 1 phoenix down, got him the next time though. Also, the enemy designs are horrible. They make less sense than some of the new Pokemon designs. Humanoid guard things that stand in a frog squat? A house that sprouts limbs? I'll have some of whatever the designers were having.
    Combat is one of the most important things to me in every RPG game and if FFVII is basically "Press X to win" game, there's no reason for me to play it.

I feel that FFVII is getting closer to being a truly overrated game, like GTA series, but it's just me...
    FFVII is more popular and it's praised because... Well, it's the FF-smurfing-VII, right? XD
    I don't say that FFX is "the best in the world", but it's still one of my favourite video games of all times.
    While VII didn't do anything innovative combat wise, it's really the rest of the game that was the big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post

While VII didn't do anything innovative combat wise, it's really the rest of the game that was the big deal.
    I agree, its universum is quite interesting!

I'm afraid of very popular titles due to disappointing experience with GTA games and that's why I'm a bit unsure of FFVII as well...
    Last edited by Zanmato; 02-11-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Blog Entries

The story is engaging, the mini games and side quests are fun. The characters aren't bad and there's lots of humor in it. And there's a lot to do. I've had a few plays that have gone well over 100 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by escobert View Post
    The story is engaging, the mini games and side quests are fun. The characters aren't bad and there's lots of humor in it. And there's a lot to do. I've had a few plays that have gone well over 100 hours.
    You're convincing, I must say!
    I'll play the game when I have a chance.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Final Fantasy is matched only by IX in how big the game feels, both in size and scope. So many secrets to discover and diversions to grab you. I'd put in Top 5 for those reasons alone.