Thread: BioWare vs. Bethesda

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I've played three Bethesda games and liked two of them, one of them a lot, and the third has been pretty meh so far. I played one BioWare game and it was excellent

So one has two strong likes and one meh and the second has one excellent. I don't know who to vote for

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Huh, for some reason I thought there were more Bethesda fans on here. This is more one sided than the SNES/Genesis poll.
    I think most of the Bethesda fans here (myself included) recognize that they have some serious flaws

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    Huh, for some reason I thought there were more Bethesda fans on here. This is more one sided than the SNES/Genesis poll.
    Same here. The Skyrim and Fallout 4 threads have gotten way more posts than any Dragon Age thread. And it was the people on this site that caused me to try New Vegas (which I did not enjoy). But ME is very popular here and I think the ME 2 & 3 threads had a lot of posts iirc.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is BioWare all day. I mean, sure, they are different kettles of fish, but they're not so hard to compare. It isn't as if you're comparing Nintendo with the myriad Call of Duty developers.

BioWare is arguably my favourite company. With Dragon Age, you get fantastic character-building, together with an increasingly developed world (it gets fleshed out more and more with each instalment). In Inquisition in particular, you feel part of a world that stretches beyond where you can play, while not losing out on the rich 1-to-1 conversations. They do drop the ball slightly with the side-quests in Inquisition (half of them basically amount to reading letters), but every other quest is well-written and have lasting consequences.

I haven't played any Bethesda games, but from what Mr. Carny and others tell me, they probably aren't for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Baldur's Gate
    Planescape: Torment
    Icewind Dale

Yeah, Bioware all the way (though this is old Bioware, so it's different, haven't played any new Bioware games yet)

Bethesda gave us Morrowind which was nice but in made me nauseous

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Baldur's Gate
    Planescape: Torment
    Icewind Dale

Yeah, Bioware all the way (though this is old Bioware, so it's different, haven't played any new Bioware games yet)

Bethesda gave us Morrowind which was nice but in made me nauseous
    Nauseous?

Anyway, you really should give new BioWare a go, Fynn. Games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect are fantastic (I prefer Dragon Age, personally).

Another thing, I like how inclusive BioWare is being in their more recent games. Inquisition gave us the first Trans person I've known in video games, and he was rather well-written as well. Add to that the affirmation of alternative sexualities, and compared to other developers, I like BioWare's commitment to diversity.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Once I have time for more games ourside my backlog, sure

There was something about the camera movement that just made me sick whenever I played it

And when will you give old Bioware a shot, eh?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    And when will you give old Bioware a shot, eh?

Once I have time for more games outside my backlog, sure

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

BW are very very good at what they do, and have made several games that quite genuinely belong in the canon of "greatest in the genre", such as BG2, ME, KOToR, and DAO.

They've also made some games widely regarded as mediocre (Jade Empire) or flawed in some significant manner (DA2), even though I personally like those a great deal. Overall though, they're an extremely good dev company and their hit rate is fairly impressive.

Bethesda on the other hand made Morrowind, which means that unless you're pitting them against either Firaxis (For making SMAC) or Ion Storm (for Deus Ex), Bethesda wins the "Best developer" contest without question. Always. Against anyone. Not even Oblivion and Fallout 3 are enough to change that.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah I guess that's my thing. Bioware has the consistently better games, like, I'm not knocking them at all. Stuff like BG2, KotOR, DA:O, etc. is very VERY good.

But... I rate Morrowind higher than all those games combined, because that's just how good Morrowind is. So I gotta rate Bethesda higher.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Can one game really make or break a developer? I don't mean to belittle Morrowind; I've never played it, but I know it is said to be amazing. But being known for one fantastically good game puts you in danger of being a one-trick pony, surely? I mean, Morrowind is 2002, right?

I suppose I value consistency, then.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, that comes down to personal preference. For me Morrowind is very important to me, like not just as one of my all-time favorite games but also for communities it introduced me to, friendships I made, that sort of thing. I don't think I can turn my back on that

Also Skyrim was super good.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Yeah, that comes down to personal preference. For me Morrowind is very important to me, like not just as one of my all-time favorite games but also for communities it introduced me to, friendships I made, that sort of thing. I don't think I can turn my back on that

Also Skyrim was super good.
    Ah, forgive me, I did not think about the experience of playing a game, and of forging bonds and friendships through them.

I can think of no better reason to like a game than the friendships gained through playing them!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You know, if you're going to compare the two anyway i think it's important to point out that there are no fewer than three developers using the Bioware name last i checked and only one of them is responsible for the games everyone seems to talk about being awesome sauce. And i don't even know how many people influential in those games are still there so that might not even be technically true anymore for all I know. Bioware are more of a brand these days, or at least EA wants it to be.

I still stand by my assertion though that anyone criticizing Bethesda's writing while praising Bioware's might as well be an alien to me. The Bioware games I've played were at best competently written versions of pretty mediocre stories and characters. So if I was going to give credit to one of them for their writing, at least Bethesda has the ability to write some decent lore and world build.