• Bethesda

7 31.82%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: BioWare vs. Bethesda

Articles
    Blog Entries

Obsidian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    But no one's complaint about DA2 is that the story is "different." They got endless trout about DA2 because of all the recycled zones (aka the One Cave, with different paths cordoned off), and removal of meaningful tactics from combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Yeah the story is actually quite good, in that it has a tightly plotted arc, things all tie together, and it's actually trying to do and say something interesting that is not just "heroes save the world, bad guys get mad, then killed". It's quite remarkable in that for all the Champion does, whether they have any meaningful effect on the world is kind of in doubt.

However, the game was tiny and felt it, as Spuuky says the problems with repeated dungeons/caves are massive. The tactics were also downgraded a good deal from Origins, but personally I still found the combat to be quite a lot of fun. Unlike Inquisition.

Boy I sure do love holding attack for 4 minutes to kill yet another damage sponge! Ended up turning the difficulty down over and over with that game because it's possibly the worst instance of "how to make a fight harder? give them more hp" I have ever seen. The fights were not a bit more difficult (The trial that adds random skills and can rank up enemies is far more effective at that) except inasmuch as it took patience to finish them. Makes DA2 look like god damn Command: MANO when it comes to tactics.
    Oh there are plenty of people who think everything about DA2 is garbage. I heard more complaints about the writing than I did the combat for the longest time. One of the writers at BW, a lady named Jennifer Hepler, got death threats and a huge portion of BW's online fanbase started calling her Hamburger Helper because they felt she was a fat, talentless pig.

I was not a BioWare fan back in 2010 or 2011 and I'm grateful. Being in the company of such people is nauseating to contemplate.

And Anders isn't the only one people hate. I've heard plenty of trout said about every companion except maybe Varric and Aveline. Carver's too angry, Bethany's too bland, Fenris is too angsty, Isabela is an insulting stereotype, etc.. Nevermind Isabela is just a new Zevran for all intents and purposes. But because Zev was a man whore and not just a whore, he gets a pass, I guess.

Anyway, I like Dragon Age II. I'm currently doing my fourth run. But while the enmity has thankfully died down, it's still there.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    However, the game was tiny and felt it, as Spuuky says the problems with repeated dungeons/caves are massive. The tactics were also downgraded a good deal from Origins, but personally I still found the combat to be quite a lot of fun. Unlike Inquisition.

Boy I sure do love holding attack for 4 minutes to kill yet another damage sponge! Ended up turning the difficulty down over and over with that game because it's possibly the worst instance of "how to make a fight harder? give them more hp" I have ever seen. The fights were not a bit more difficult (The trial that adds random skills and can rank up enemies is far more effective at that) except inasmuch as it took patience to finish them. Makes DA2 look like god damn Command: MANO when it comes to tactics.
    I like the combat in Inquisition, but the combat in DA games was never that groundbreaking. I'll take 'hold attack to kill' over 'mash attack to kill' any day. And even though DAI has the 'give more HP' issue, DA2 had the 'add more waves of enemies' issue which I like less. I'd rather fight a big thing with a ton of HP where my progress is clear than countless waves of the same enemy type where sometimes I have to search around to just to find the end of it.

It probably also depends a lot on the class you play. In DAI I'm a Knight Enchanter Mage and I can attack from afar with a staff, set a fire mine to blow up a group of enemies, let loose a barrage of attacks to build a charge then run in and whack it with my energy sword, turn invisible and reappear inside an enemy to knock it senseless, create barriers to keep me and the party safe, etc. It's all very easy but I like the variety. Compared to DA2 where I was a Rogue and pretty much every battle was run to enemy, mash attack, use Backstab whenever it is ready and random other vanilla skills when it's not. The only variety was when there were clumps of enemies and I could throw that potion bomb thing in to stun them. That was fun.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find it difficult to compare the two, as they've both become kind of useless relative to their former glory.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Bioware hands down. Bethesda games have never been as compelling for me. :/

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Bioware is awesome, the best for stories. I love all the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games and can't wait more happen. That said I prefer The Elder Scrolls and Fallout as series

Probably my two favorite developers of all time, and I play their games over and over
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

A lot of the Bethesda hate on here baffles me.

It's like, the post that said Bethesda doesn't know what was good about Morrowind. What "was" good about Morrowind? There was nothing special about it at all. I had fun with it certainly, reading the lore and learning about the Dunmer and the Battle of Red Mountain and all the rest of it.

However, I also had fun reading the lore in Skyrim, learning about the history of dragons, the Nords, the new Imperial Mede dynasty, etc..

The Elder Scrolls are games you play to run around and read books and maybe find some entertaining NPC's in sidequests along the way. The main plot is an afterthought in all my experience.

I suppose, push comes to shove, learning about the Tribunal, their relation to the Daedra, Dagoth Ur and so-on was more interesting than Skyrim's MQ but I never madeit too far in Skyrim's MQ because there was so much more to do.

Also, Skyrim Daedra >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Morrowind Daedra. All that happened in Morrowind when I found a Daedric Shrine was I got attacked. BORING! It was much more intriguing and varied in Skyrim.

P.S.

Choosing Imperial or Stormcloak was more interesting than choosing a Great House.
    Last edited by Forsaken Lover; 02-25-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Yeah, I think most people (though probably not Pike and Mr Adequate) appreciate Morrowind more for what it tried to do, and what it represents, more than what it actually is. I tried, and I think I got into it past its prime. It was very slow, very clunky, very glitchy, and very primitive regarding auto-saves, fast travel, etc.

What people praise the most, and probably rightly so, is the way guilds were set up, like having a couple of different types of the same thing to choose from, and the setting was so different and interesting compared to Skyrim and Oblivion basically just being fleshed out generic fantasy world #586. And from what I gathered the story was very a-typical. Though I didn't make it that far into it. The combat and load times killed it for me :/ But I appreciate it exists, and if they ever decide to update it, I will probably buy it day one

Articles
    Blog Entries

I actually prefer Morrowind's dice rolls. It's clunky but I find it more "true" to its pen-and-paper inspirations which is a huge plus for me. It makes skills and attributes way less superfluous and requires one to put more effort to their character advancement compared to Skyrim and Oblivion where a lot of character growths I feel are arbitrary since most any build is plausibly effective.

You act like people don't just abuse the hell out of Morrowind's broken as smurf Alchemy mechanics to jump from one side of the map to the other,give themselves a bajillion HP and let them oneshot any enemy.

And that's only the stuff a newbie like me knows. I'm sure there are infinitely other ways to break the game in half.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mechanics that are abusable I find to be indicative of good mechanics design.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

The entire point of Bethesda is being able to become a god and break the games, it's amazing.

Considering they started to adopt level scaling with Oblivion, I'm not sure that's true.

Of course, in reality, even when those bandits start wielding Daedric equipment for some reason, you can still kill them pretty easily. But the obvious intent is so you don't just crush everything by overleveling like you can do in Morrowind.

Oblivion's level-scaling system is the worst ever conceived in an RPG and is completely indefensible in its implementation.