So I had pumpkin sit down and watch the theatrical release version of Alien over the weekend. Y'know, because romance. I still really like the film, and thought I'd share some observations.

The music is great.

The opening sequence with the title of the movie all the way up until they make planet-fall is really well done.

The pan back shot to reveal the Space Jockey is still one of my favorite shots in cinematography.

I found myself chuckling at how they still managed to have horror movie tropes in such a towering, famous movie. Specifically things like "Okay, we'll form teams of two, and stick together." "Fine, but first I'm going below decks by myself to refill this weapon that is out of ammo." "Sounds good."

I thought the way Space Balls had the chest buster run across the lunch counter was specifically made a little more hockey looking, but no that was actually about how realistic it looks in the original movie.

I still think a lot of the practical effects and sets look really, really good even by today's standards.

9/10, would watch again any time.

Also, hats off to Alien: Isolation. I noticed a lot of what they did playing the game the first time, but going back and watching the movie, I saw so many other things they acknowledged from the film. Those guys did a great job making the game.