View Poll Results: Would you be the villain?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

22 84.62%
  • Maybe

1 3.85%
  • Absolutely not

1 3.85%
  • Only if it was optional and I could also play a hero

1 3.85%
  • Only if I knew from the get go

0 0%
  • Only if it was a surprise plot twist

1 3.85%
  • Only if I lost in the end

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would You Play as a Villain

Playing as Villains? Three Words: Skylanders: Trap Team.

You can play as villains, but they have a timer so you can used then a certain amount of time.
    The One and Only KeybasH.

Hell yeah I'd play as a villain in a game if I could get away with it. There have been waaay too many games over the years where you are playing as the good guy. I guess that is a reason why I like the God of War series so much because Kratos is more of an anti-hero than anything else.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Absolutely. Games should not always be about saving the world.

I'm with Formy, given the choice I will go good. But if it's the story's narrative to be bad I can appreciate it. Loved Saints Row. Loved Overlord. And in Fire Emblem Fates I'm considered the villain and it's an interesting take

I wish more games would let us play as actual villains.

I loved the evil path in Soul Nomad. >: D

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The problem with games that let you choose to be a villain is, they usually... don't. They let you be a prick, for sure, and you can complete quests in the most asshole manner possible... but you still end up saving the world/defeating Alduin/whatever.

If you want to be a villain you're better off with a game that lets you be an explicitly villainous character. Like in Darkest Hour how you can be Nazi Germany, or how you can play as an all-conquering horde in Europa Universalis IV, i.e. France. It's often best when played for laughs like in Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, and Overlord, where your 'evil' is either ridiculously over the top or so petty as to be hilarious.

There's also the very small sub-genre of torture/trap games, specifically Wild 9 and Kagero, where your methods are so brutal and cruel that your actual objectives kind of fade into the background anyway.

If you want to be a real villain though, the best way is always going to be playing a Space strategy game that lets you genocide entire species, blow up planets and suns, and crush entire galaxies beneath your heel. Distant Worlds, Space Empires, and I want to give a special mention to Star Ruler here because it is possible to kidnap enemy planets. I do not mean blockade and hold to ransom or abduct the entire population or threaten to bombard or anything - I mean you can build gigantic rockets on them, fly them across deep space, and put them in your own system.

Or, you know, you can just play Custer's Revenge.

e; Oh I forgot, a game series which did really good in this regard is Legacy of Kain.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post

If you want to be a real villain though, the best way is always going to be playing a Space strategy game that lets you genocide entire species, blow up planets and suns, and crush entire galaxies beneath your heel. Distant Worlds, Space Empires, and I want to give a special mention to Star Ruler here because it is possible to kidnap enemy planets. I do not mean blockade and hold to ransom or abduct the entire population or threaten to bombard or anything - I mean you can build gigantic rockets on them, fly them across deep space, and put them in your own system.
    This reminds me how most of my Civilization 2 games always end with me sending my ship off to Alpha Centauri and then seeing if I can enact a nuclear holocaust on the entire world before it reaches the star. What? I didn't spend all those resources to build a nuclear arsenal with the intention of never using them.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

infamous 1 and 2 were pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    This reminds me how most of my Civilization 2 games always end with me sending my ship off to Alpha Centauri and then seeing if I can enact a nuclear holocaust on the entire world before it reaches the star. What? I didn't spend all those resources to build a nuclear arsenal with the intention of never using them.
    I totally do this in Civ V.

Speaking of strategy games, I've played and beaten Panzer General and Panzer General II numerous times, which means I basically led the Nazi forces to worldwide conquest. That probably counts as being a villain.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Doesn't every Grand Theft Auto game let you play as the villain?