Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Heavy Rain's voice acting is gosh awful and the female character is basically there for fanservice.

Dragon Quest Heroes needs a way to move faster through the levels. Unless that comes later.

Golden Sun can have some less than intuitive controls. I just started though.

Dragon Age II is a bit less engaging than the last one so far.

A Link Between Worlds is HARD

Pixel Dungeon: I can't stand the hunger/starving thing because I see it as an unnecessary way to make the game harder. Breakable weapons and armors are a pain in the butt as well.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I am Setsuna is the name of the game. Setsuna is on all the promotional stuff. But who is the player character? Masky Mcmaskface. At least I can take him out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Muramasa Rebirth - Having some trouble with the story

FFXIV Character

Aeterna in I am Setsuna. During story segments she shown off as this all powerful mage. Literally the first thing we see here do is restrain Endir using powerful magics. And later on she does some kind of Timey Spirit Bomb thing. However, statwise her magic and MP are both in the midground of the party. Not the best, but not the worst. In combat she plays like a rogue with some time magic thrown in. She uses knives and her basic attack has her hitting two time (four times with momentum). And she's the fastest party member usually getting her second turn when everyone else is getting their first. And her skill set is very roguelike includes manipulating time and space to get more hits in or to get her turn faster or ignoring defense or raising her evasion. And as far as magic goes she has Demi, Slow, Stop, Haste, and Protect. She also get Frog Squash for some reason.

Aeterna is my favorite character in the game and the Rogue/Time Mage works surprisingly well. Just the stuff she does during the plot and what she does during actual combat doesn't mesh to well to me. And I get why she has all these weird time plot magic stuff, still think it could have blended better.

HUGE SPOILER WARNING, like RIGHT BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS PLOT POINT
    (SPOILER)So we find out she's a clone of the person sealing away the final boss and that's why she can do all that stuff. But then you fight her she original fights with a spear and can teleport and call down meteors. Sure it makes since that the original has access to different skills, but they are completely different.

And this is just nitpicking and makes sense from a gameplay design stance, but if Aeterna has gone through this journey many times before why was she only level 2?

Final Fantasy XII - Acquiring spells and other such abilities by paying for them is a bit no-no to me, especially since earning gils (by selling the loot, of course) is a bit harder than in FFX.
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - Fighting with the bats/birds during acrobatic sections is unfair (in my opinion, of course), especially since the fighting system has some flaws.

FFXIV Character

In Fallout 4 Cait doesn't like it when you're a nice person. Can't really criticize it for that because that's how it's suppose to be. However, there's this weird cycle when doing some random quests.

Guy: Help please!
    Me: Gib money.
    Guy: Okay.
    [Cait liked that]
    Me: I'll help.
    [Cait disliked that]

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Digital Devil Saga - The Mantra system is basically a retooled Materia system with all its flaws included. Basically the game gives you five party members to play with but by the time the last two join, you've probably taught the initial three most of the elemental spells and abilities. While the game mechanics do offer some better variety than VII's (characters have noticeable stat differences, all characters have one inherent weakness, Learned abilities can't be shared, and the game likes to change your party set-up all the time) I just find I'm seriously overlooking certain characters and just sticking to the initial three in most cases.

Also, Wendee Lee, I love your body of work as a VA, but I think we can both agree that trying to sing in Sera's voice wasn't going to work.

Shin Megami Tensei - Barring the game being difficult enough where game overs are pretty common, my main beef right now is the difficulty of upgrading weapons for my human characters. Guns are plentiful if incredibly expensive, with ammo being highway robbery, but melee weapons are the worse. My Heroine hasn't had a new melee weapon since the ICBM's fell (like 1/5th of the way into the game) which is only fine because she's better with guns and can use magic. The MC on the other hand, can't use magic and while guns have their advantages, you would be surprised how many demons are resistant/immune to them. So getting him a decent sword has taken forever. The real issue is that pretty much right after the apocalypse, shops that sell melee weapons just stop appearing so you're left with either hoping an enemy drops a weapon for you or gives you one in negotiations since there are maybe three melee weapons in actual chests in the post-Apocalypse section of the game.

My other beef is Ikeburo, where a scenario plays out that seriously shifts your alignment either towards Law or Chaos faction. There is no Neutral option so you're basically forced to be stuck with one of the alignments for awhile before you reach a place that lets you change your alignment easily. Neutral alignment really is the hardest to play...

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light - Setting things right that once went wrong is a bit more tedious than I thought. It's also becoming more obvious the game is heavily inspired by the old NES era as the actual story scenes are becoming fewer and farther between Course my real beef at the moment is noticing the massive grind I have up ahead for me. I'm still missing a few crowns and very few of them have been fully unlocked, but it's obvious I'm also nearing the game's actual end and yet the difficulty spikes keep coming with the bosses. I now understand why most people go after the boss protecting the Lux spell first.

Banned

I'm playing F-Zero for the SNES on Expert right now, and that game is a friggin' bumper car race ffs.
    I don't have any problems with Death Wind II anymore, and Mute City III and Sand Canyon II are easy, but Port Town II is problematic and Fire Field is almost impossible.
    And it's all because of those other goddamn cars - they are always in the way everywhere, and they always bump me into the rails so that my car starts bouncing forever all over the place.
    The physics in that game are really quite ridiculous, by the way.
    Yeah I know that the vehicles are hover cars and that this completely eliminates all friction with the ground etc, but do they really have to bounce around so damn much?
    Sometimes it almost looks like the bounces even accelerate the cars or something, that's bulltrout.

Oh yeah, I am using Fire Stingray by the way, maybe that guy has more inertia so that he is harder to stop for that reason, I don't know.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 09-16-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism. Somehow there hasn't been a soundtrack that wowed me yet. Which is very unusual for this series.

I know this is the most spoiled complaint ever, but still. Gimme some godlike soundtracks, ZUN!

FFXIV Character

Fairy Fencer F's Hard mode isn't hard at all. I put it on Hard because there's a trophy for beating the entire game on it and I figured if I waited til New Game+ it'd defeat the purpose. When choosing the difficulty it said the stats have been raised and new strategies would be involved. I haven't played the original, but so far the only strategy I've had to use is wait for Fang to transform and them glass 'em. The only time I've felt in danger is when I pull out a sword that was meant for later. But even then I I still won. Like this last fight, I was fighting three Lv25 Dragons and my team was Lv15. It should have been a wash, but nope. Blew through a lot of items, but I still won.

And Tiara, I hate her so much. Seriously her only redeeming quality is her hat. Also her booties are super cute according to Pumpkin.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    My other beef is Ikeburo, where a scenario plays out that seriously shifts your alignment either towards Law or Chaos faction. There is no Neutral option so you're basically forced to be stuck with one of the alignments for awhile before you reach a place that lets you change your alignment easily. Neutral alignment really is the hardest to play...
    Ugh, this, so much. I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei IV and maintaining a neutral alignment is a study in micromanagement. Basically, almost every dialogue choice detracts or adds to your score, and the range for neutral is only -8 to +8. There is not a large margin for error given that +10s and -10s crop up a fair amount sometimes.

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Ugh, this, so much. I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei IV and maintaining a neutral alignment is a study in micromanagement. Basically, almost every dialogue choice detracts or adds to your score, and the range for neutral is only -8 to +8. There is not a large margin for error given that +10s and -10s crop up a fair amount sometimes.
    I got the Neutral route on that game playing blindly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Her booties are the cutest things ever, but they changed her outfit in Advent Dark Force and I am not looking forward to that

Also my games:
    Trails of Cold Steel II: Rean is even more of a Gary Sue than before
    The Fruit of Grisaia: WHY DO ALL OF THE MALE LEADS NEED TO BE GARY SUE'S?!?!
    Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: It's too scary for me
    Pokemon X: Getting outfits is taking much too long