Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The only thing I don't like about the Witcher so far is how washed all the colors are. I think this may be part of the reason why I feel a bit nauseous when playing it.

If Magic (the Gathering) 2015 had less flashy menu design and animations I think it could cut the loading times in half.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'll just play one more match of Overwatch. That didn't count. Neither did that one. And now it's five in the morning.

Also Hanzo can kill you at full health by shooting near your arm.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

FFX - It takes too long until you get the option of no encounters considering its a random encounters game.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dungeon Travelers 2 - So grindy

SOMA - Confusing. I'm bad at this stuff though so some of it is me, but my friend and I are discussing it and he has to explain stuff that I just totally blanked on. I like subtlety, but this is too subtle xD

Trails of Cold Steel II - WHY REAN? WHY DID YOU DO IT?

Oblivious Garden - Not the best written, kind of amateurish

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth - My character outfit is hideous

Rogue Legacy - Iz hard

Lost Planet - Granted I haven't played much of it, but oh my goodness the characters -especially the main character- are really boring so far...

Just finished Final Fantasy XV.

A nice little Final Fantasy but the narrative pace and content as well as its presentation has its problems.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

For how nice the environments of The Witcher are, the character models are pretty terrible. All faces are completely emotionless, and some models - especially dwarves and "attractive" women (Triss, what have they done to you) - look incredibly weird and out-of-place.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am Setsuna has some weak dungeon designs, feeling a bit more straightforward than I would like, and I'll certainly ding it for reusing assets. When you get down to it, there are only maybe four or five different environments tops in the game, and I really feel like the developers could have added a bit more pizazz to the dungeons. It's only more daunting because towns actually have a bit more variety, so it's a bit weird that the dungeons all borrow from the five same visual styles. There are also little to no puzzles in most of them except the Ancient Towers, which themselves are way cooler looking on the outside than their interior.

Also what is with the game's bizarre difficulty jump? I know I'm towards the end, but bosses pretty much went from being a handful to being outright nightmares. I appreciate it a bit since so many games are easy but part of the issue here is that regular encounters are still ridiculously easy when you're not running into one of the Spiritnite Infested Monsters which are all practically optional superbosses in their own right. None of this is helped by the fact that it seems like the majority of players who have beaten the game online seemed to all have just grind at certain points to ridiculous levels, so many of them can't actually offer much in terms of strategy beyond "go to this place, fight this mon for six straight hours, beat game."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I am Setsuna has some weak dungeon designs, feeling a bit more straightforward than I would like, and I'll certainly ding it for reusing assets. When you get down to it, there are only maybe four or five different environments tops in the game, and I really feel like the developers could have added a bit more pizazz to the dungeons. It's only more daunting because towns actually have a bit more variety, so it's a bit weird that the dungeons all borrow from the five same visual styles. There are also little to no puzzles in most of them except the Ancient Towers, which themselves are way cooler looking on the outside than their interior.

Also what is with the game's bizarre difficulty jump? I know I'm towards the end, but bosses pretty much went from being a handful to being outright nightmares. I appreciate it a bit since so many games are easy but part of the issue here is that regular encounters are still ridiculously easy when you're not running into one of the Spiritnite Infested Monsters which are all practically optional superbosses in their own right. None of this is helped by the fact that it seems like the majority of players who have beaten the game online seemed to all have just grind at certain points to ridiculous levels, so many of them can't actually offer much in terms of strategy beyond "go to this place, fight this mon for six straight hours, beat game."
    Perhaps you came across the same issues I did. The problem I think is the game does absolutely nothing to entice you to make use of it's Flux mechanic to tweek your abilities.

When I reviewed it I said it was about 70% of the game it was pointless, but then the game suddenly starts kicking your ass.

Clearing battles at that point becomes largely how well you tweek your attacks with your flux's, do that and it'll become a cake walk again.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

Perhaps you came across the same issues I did. The problem I think is the game does absolutely nothing to entice you to make use of it's Flux mechanic to tweek your abilities.

When I reviewed it I said it was about 70% of the game it was pointless, but then the game suddenly starts kicking your ass.

Clearing battles at that point becomes largely how well you tweek your attacks with your flux's, do that and it'll become a cake walk again.
    Yeah, I came to a similar conclusion, though I'm a bit sad with the Flux abuse because I've found that several really difficult bosses can be turned into total push overs with the right party/set-up. I think the most amusing if frustrating one I found is the optional battle in Nidr's quest. I just kept getting my ass kicked by that boss until I realized that one of Nidr's moves completely trivializes the battle.

Now I'm at the point where Fluxes are super important if I want to get anything else done in the game. I don't mind the idea behind the system, I just wished that gaining them wasn't so random.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

Yeah, I came to a similar conclusion, though I'm a bit sad with the Flux abuse because I've found that several really difficult bosses can be turned into total push overs with the right party/set-up. I think the most amusing if frustrating one I found is the optional battle in Nidr's quest. I just kept getting my ass kicked by that boss until I realized that one of Nidr's moves completely trivializes the battle.

Now I'm at the point where Fluxes are super important if I want to get anything else done in the game. I don't mind the idea behind the system, I just wished that gaining them wasn't so random.
    My issue is the system comes with no pacing. Pointless for the Majority of the game, and out of left field the system becomes a necessity.

A similar problem crops up with the Dual/Triple Techs. You get them so painfully slow early on, then out of no where you get a huge landslide of them all at once, many of them you'll use just for the sake of using once.

It's like the game understood from a mechanical stand point what made them work so well in Chrono Trigger, but had no clue how to handle the execution. That seems to be the story of this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My issue is the system comes with no pacing. Pointless for the Majority of the game, and out of left field the system becomes a necessity.

A similar problem crops up with the Dual/Triple Techs. You get them so painfully slow early on, then out of no where you get a huge landslide of them all at once, many of them you'll use just for the sake of using once.

It's like the game understood from a mechanical stand point what made them work so well in Chrono Trigger, but had no clue how to handle the execution. That seems to be the story of this game.
    While I agree the pacing is a bit off with the dual/triple techs, at the same time there is like 5x as many since Endir is not a required party member and you don't need an item to perform a few non-Crono Triple techs like you did in CT. In some ways, I kind of don't mind as much since the game really lets you set up the party how you want it instead of forcing designated party members.

Flux is a bit harder to pin down I feel, since you'll be acquiring them throughout the game regardless, it's a bit hard to figure out if they were there for fluff or if they were actually useful but came in so seamlessly the player never noticed. Of anything, they create real good replay value for the game. In some ways the Flux system feels like VIII's Junction system where many people only haphazardly paid attention to it until the game pulled off the kiddie wheels and suddenly it was do or die. It caught me off guard, but I'm honestly appreciating the system a bit better. I accidentally built a real good version of the Aura ability that saved my ass in Endir's sidequest since it had so many ATB bonuses I practically got double turns when I used it.

Of anything the real missed opportunity here was not giving the game multiple endings to make NG+ great, because the Flux and Counter systems have enough depth to keep them feeling fresh through multiple playthroughs and there are so many dialogue options, TRF could have easily given the player more agency to control the story.

I'm at the final boss right now, still have a few abilities to unlock, but I'm going to finish this bad boy and start FFXV before coming back to it later. I feel a second playthrough with a better understanding of the game mechanics will offer a different insight to how well the mechanics hold up.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It feels like JRPGs take longer and longer to get you into the meat of the game. I logged 6 hours in Persona 4 before I got to move freely in a dungeon. I also hear FFXV takes a while to get going, and the other major release recently, Dragon Quest VII 3DS (which I plan to play next) also has this issue.

Remember in FFVI and FFVII where they threw you right into the action?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

There's a special place in Hell for Overwatch players who spam the "I NEED HEALS" button and don't comm their healer. There was this cowboy man who just spammed that everytime he got hit. I kept him topped off and didn't even die on my watch. I healed 37% of the team damage. 0 comms.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    It feels like JRPGs take longer and longer to get you into the meat of the game. I logged 6 hours in Persona 4 before I got to move freely in a dungeon. I also hear FFXV takes a while to get going, and the other major release recently, Dragon Quest VII 3DS (which I plan to play next) also has this issue.

Remember in FFVI and FFVII where they threw you right into the action?
    It takes two-ish hours before you get your first fight. I have the same complaint about World of Final Fantasy. They take control away from you so much. At least with Persona 4 and Dragon Quest 7, you're playing a majority of that initial slog. With WoFF, it's here's a new mechinic. He's a cutscene. He's a tutorial telling you all of that.