Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Donkey Kong Country 2:
    I am not good at platformers o.o

Kingdom Hearts:
    I don't know, I'm just apathetic to it. It doesn't get me excited to play

Final Fantasy XV:
    I really want to care more about the game than I do. I enjoy playing it but I am not at all invested in the story and barely invested in the characters and FF is a series I play for those two things, which are lacking

Super Mario 64:
    Camera is awful and why is Mario so slipperryyyy

Corpse Party:
    This one area, let me tell you

Danganronpa:
    I hate the trials. Not the story but the gameplay of them. Not my deal

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    FFXII:RW - I love how the "challenge" of the last few missions of the game devolve into the computer cheating with being able to use Rank 2 Yarhi and having everything's levels jacked up to ridiculous levels. Not to mention I feel like the computer can summon twice as fast as I can and has no real limit on how many units they can have on the field at once. In the time it takes me to set up my party to deal with Zodiark, he's amassed more troops with just one summoning gate, than when the battle started and he had four summoning gates at that point. The game kind of has the old Civilization problem where if you couldn't defeat a cities garrison and capture the city in one turn, the computer would magically spawn four new units in the time you're next unit had a turn.
    Oh I remember Revenant Wings. Yeah, the endgame/extra missions are hella difficult because of the cheating A.I and the fact that they simply just pack a huge wallop. Fighting Zodiark and Bahamut is partly luck based depending just on how the mission goes.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Playing a modded out Skyrim. My load order in the mod needs work as it will randomly crash once an hour or so. I must have one thing out of order there.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Got roadblocked during Makoto's S.Link. After I got that sorted out a bunch of plot happened and control was taken away for a couple of weeks. I like the slice of life part of the game, but so many days are wasted where nothing gets done and you can't go out at night because you need your rest.

And the dungeon crawling is a little easy for an Atlus game. I just finished the fifth palace and the boss wasn't challenging at all. The Scathach in the dungeon was more of a challenge.

Replaying Wind Waker.

Those controls are horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    FFXII:RW - I love how the "challenge" of the last few missions of the game devolve into the computer cheating with being able to use Rank 2 Yarhi and having everything's levels jacked up to ridiculous levels. Not to mention I feel like the computer can summon twice as fast as I can and has no real limit on how many units they can have on the field at once. In the time it takes me to set up my party to deal with Zodiark, he's amassed more troops with just one summoning gate, than when the battle started and he had four summoning gates at that point. The game kind of has the old Civilization problem where if you couldn't defeat a cities garrison and capture the city in one turn, the computer would magically spawn four new units in the time you're next unit had a turn.
    Yeah, the further into RW you got, the worse the game got. The inability to effectively micromanage is another problem, as most of the endgame bosses have the unique ability to just nuke the entire field around them and instantly kill any Yarhi there, which they use any time you get a big enough group to threaten them. It frequently became a frustrating standoff and ruined what had been a decent enough game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post

Oh I remember Revenant Wings. Yeah, the endgame/extra missions are hella difficult because of the cheating A.I and the fact that they simply just pack a huge wallop. Fighting Zodiark and Bahamut is partly luck based depending just on how the mission goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Yeah, the further into RW you got, the worse the game got. The inability to effectively micromanage is another problem, as most of the endgame bosses have the unique ability to just nuke the entire field around them and instantly kill any Yarhi there, which they use any time you get a big enough group to threaten them. It frequently became a frustrating standoff and ruined what had been a decent enough game.
    Yeah, there is a reason I got to this point and called it quits a few years back. I also love the fact that if I actually finish the last two side missions of the game I have left, my reward is a slightly different ending and the final boss and his troops being jacked up to Lv. 99. I'm going to ignore the fact that when he's down to about 40% health, he summons a Bahamut about thirty levels higher than my party level to help him.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

W-POST

FFXII:RW - Finally beat after giving up on getting Zodiark and making sure to pull the majority of my party away from the final boss when he's down to just his head so I would stop suffering from TPW when he summoned a Lv. 90 Bahamut right behind the attacking party. The ending was terrible, which simply reminded me of how awful most of the writing was and how comically different it was from the original FFXII. This game should have stayed as a new IP instead of being forcibly turned into a non-canon sequel to FFXII.

Bloodborne - I haven't had the chance to talk about this, but I'm not a big fan of the Chalice Dungeons. Copy/paste environments with souped up palette swapped versions of enemies I've been fighting all game. Granted it at least has some unique bosses, but I feel like they would have been better served being placed into the game proper. Overall, it just feels like a cheap gimmick to pad the game.

Also smurf the Blood Lickers, they are Bloodborne's version of Demon's Souls Great Defiled Ones. They have too much health, way too high attack power, difficult to stunlock, incredibly aggressive, way faster and more agile than most "big strong enemy types" and they love to travel in packs when killing one of them can be a chore. Castle Cainhurst is a great area only marred by having these bastards everywhere on the front lawn.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I get that the tag line is "there is no good or evil, only choices", but the Witcher can still be very on the nose about its theme. It often gets ridiculous. Like at one point Geralt is brooding over the fact that a choice he made led to a bad thing to happen. Another character then tells him "but it's a choice you made; if you had known then what you know now, would you have acted differently?" And then I get a dialog choice, to which I say no, which causes Geralt to happily exclaim how satisfied he is with the choice he made. The exact same choice he was moping about just a second ago.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bloodborne - Going to harp on the Chalice Dungeons again. Ultimately they feel like Tartarus from P3. Samey environments with enemies recycled from Dark Souls no less. The bosses in here are souped up palette swaps of things you've been fighting before and the few unique bosses are absurdly overpowered. I just spent two days worth of my game time trying to beat this Undead Giant (the third incarnation of I might add) who is equipped with a metal hammer, a hook blade arm, and has various sickles and balls of chains poking out of his back that he can swing his body quickly to get a cheap shot on you if you try to roll past him. My beef with him was that his attack range is a bit ridiculous and combined the series standard finicky hit detection, can make it very difficult to gauge his attack patters and damage. My other beef is that his attacks are insanely overpowered with that quick turn with the back weapons being for all intents and purposes, a one-hit-KO. I had to basically resort to Dark Souls, poke and run tactics to finally beat him.

My other beef with the game is the Blood Vial system. The Estus Flasks from DS spoiled me, so having to go back to a limited consumable resource has been a bit jarring, especially since the damage output of enemies is much higher in this game. So, it wrecks the pacing of the game to have to stop progress, so you can warp back to the first area of the game, and clear that map to restock your Blood Vials and Quicksilver bullets. Now we could probably had avoided part of this like Demon's Souls did by not making the merchants in this game read the TV Tropes page Adam Smith Hates Your Guts, because the shop jacks up the prices of everything the further you get in. Blood Vials start off costing a few hundred Bloos Echoes, but I'm at the point where buying one would cost me around 10,000 blood echoes and it only goes higher in NG+. At least in Demon's Souls, you could spend left over souls from leveling/weapon crafting on basic healing items to keep yourself stocked.

Phoenix Wright - The logic of some of these cases can be baffling. Made even more annoying when you start to figure out the solution before the game is ready for it and now you're stuck knowing the answer but somehow have to figure out how to get the game on the same page with you, which often requires some really bizarre old school Adventure game logic to solve on occasion.

That particular Undead Giant is legitimately the hardest boss in Bloodborne, and I don't think it's very close.

I don't think the price of Blood Vials changes, though?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Somehow Persona Fusing isn't as cool as it could be since I always feel like I need to keep at least one of every elemental spell as well as healing and I'm hesitant to let any of the stat buffs/debuffs go. On the other hand I don't have the motivation to map out my abilities and figure out what Personas I can get rid of. Either way ultimately this means I'm holding on to mid-level Personas just because they have four or five Ma- abilities which feels more like an obligation than anything, because getting a new Persona that can fulfill that role feels like a crapshoot. You never know if a new Persona in your fusing path is gonna be simply incapable of learning some of these abilities.

I know it wouldn't kill me to get rid of one or two elements but damn it the pressure is felt.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    That particular Undead Giant is legitimately the hardest boss in Bloodborne, and I don't think it's very close.

I don't think the price of Blood Vials changes, though?
    They do sadly. Their base price is 180 Blood Echoes and they are close to the four digit category currently in my playthrough, though I only have some of the Chalice Dungeons, the DLC, and the second half of the Nightmare of Mensis to complete, so I'm pretty much at the end game.

EDITGA: Whoops, my bad. It isn't as severe as I thought, probably cause I don't pay too much attention to the consumable screen as I should. While the price does go up, it seems to be based on doubling and then tripling and so forth from the base price. So Blood Vials cost about 720 now in my game, which to me, is a bit of a steep price for a healing item, especially one where I would need three of them to take me from 10% of my health back to full. Molotove Cocktails and antidotes are where things are in the 4 digit territory and the damn blood tangent cocktail (a diversion item for those who don't understand what we're talking about) is about 10,000 Blood Echoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Somehow Persona Fusing isn't as cool as it could be since I always feel like I need to keep at least one of every elemental spell as well as healing and I'm hesitant to let any of the stat buffs/debuffs go. On the other hand I don't have the motivation to map out my abilities and figure out what Personas I can get rid of. Either way ultimately this means I'm holding on to mid-level Personas just because they have four or five Ma- abilities which feels more like an obligation than anything, because getting a new Persona that can fulfill that role feels like a crapshoot. You never know if a new Persona in your fusing path is gonna be simply incapable of learning some of these abilities.

I know it wouldn't kill me to get rid of one or two elements but damn it the pressure is felt.
    Here's some advice about fusing new demons. You might have noticed some of these, but generally a persona's affinity for a move is based on their Arcana and in some cases, their design/history.

Examples:
    Fool and Judgement - Can learn anything
    Magician, Priestess, and Emperess - Magic orientated
    Chariot, Strength, and Tower - Physical
    Justice - Hama Focused
    Death and Devil - Mudo Focused

There are some serious overlap as well but rule of thumb is that the higher level the demon is within their arcana, the more they will exhibit the traits of their arcana and lose the ability to use certain skills.

Another tidbit, melee skill transfer is often based on the design of a demon, for instance, a skill that is weapon based like Vorpal Blade can only be transferred to a persona carrying a weapon. Likewise, a Fire based demon like Surt or Pyro Jack won't learn Bufu skills but that is pretty obvious but some persona may require knowing a bit about their lore to figure things out. I would honestly try to do some of Elizabeth's fusion quests to help learn the ins and outs of Persona fusions as you would be surprised how very likely it is to get a skill on a desired Persona with enough work.

Also, the game never mentions this but fusing two persona of the same arcana will always result in a persona of the same arcana, though the whether it will be an upgrade or downgrade will depend on where the Persona's rank within their own arcana, so that can be a quick way to "upgrade" a persona with good skills into one with better stats to use them.

A final tip is that as your MC gains the ability to hold more personas, it's often better to stop focusing on making a few versatile personas and focus on making specialty personas, cause you'll need them to start doing their job well when you get to the later stages of the game and the focus shifts from "exploit enemy weakness" to "prevent enemy from getting extra turns" as later enemies will eventually drop all pretense of having a weakness, and so you'll need the extra boost of using elemental boost and Amp skills to make your spells more powerful. I highly recommend creating Anubis eventually, once your levels allow you to do so, as he is one of the earliest personas you can make that has a natural immunity to both types of instant death magic and no major weaknesses either, making him a perfect baseline Persona to have equipped whenever encountering new enemy types. His stats are also pretty good and he learns most of the Hama/Mudo skills as well making him great for speeding through later sections of Tartarus.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Witcher - the faces continue to be terrible. Especially dwarves. Looking at Zoltan is actually a genuinely nauseating experience