Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

You are dabbling in a lot of games, sir

What can I say, I get sidetracked very easily. I also have a huge backlog mostly composed of JRPGs. I wonder how many of them I'll finish this year.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Dear Persona 1, why is your poker machine so screwed up? I mean, in most poker games that do the High and Low mini-game afterwards, getting a card of the same number usually either means an automatic win, or you usually choose one side for it to be on. Instead, you make it an automatic lost and that has caused me to lose thousands of coins that I could have used, instead I need to break you...
    You brought this on yourself, now suffer

Articles

FFXIV Character

Kurisu Kazama (Sargatanas)

Tekken 7 - I really enjoyed the story mode, but it could have incorporated all the playable characters in it in some way. Instead most of the characters have their own (practically pointless) episode with a tacked on paragraph about why they're fighting and each episode is literally one fight.
    <a href=http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m3/Valentine-06/Signatures/fat_mooglesig2.png target=_blank>http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...mooglesig2.png</a>

Persona 5 -- None.

Harvest Moon New Beginning. I brought this game believing that it was going to be chill out, relaxing, no stress game. But I'm always stressing out in order to get all of the material for the blueprints so I'm not behind in fixing the town.

@-@';;

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The next time someone on this forum whines about Xenogears being a bad game with a great plot, I'm going to point them to Drakengard. The story and setting are really cool and interesting, but my god the gameplay is atrocious.

Imagine if Dynasty Warriors and Panzer Dragoon got together and had an RPG baby, but then the baby had a host of physical and mental issues because the two soon found out they were actually brother and sister separated at birth and now the powers that be were punishing them for their unholy union.

I don't quite know which is worse in the Dynasty warrior sections: the awful camera, the awful tracking, or the inability to control either. For the Panzer sections, the controls are terrible and the dragon feels like piloting a jumbo jet through molasses, you know your turning because you're doing so with the controls, but I'm not sure if the game and screen are on the same page as you. Also the enemies in that section have way better range and tracking than you do.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sooooo... I'm really surprised the Witcher 3 is appreciated by as many people as it is. Make no mistake - it's my current number one game of all time and has plenty of stuff to keep you entertained whether you've read the books or not. But there are a couple of things I imagine fall a bit flat if you haven't read the books. Like, the Wild Hunt don't seem to get much characterization and seem like generic doomsday villains. Yeah, they have a cool, creepy air of mystery about them, but knowing what happened in the books, I kind of feel like the game knows there's a lot more to them, it just decides not to share it with the player,

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

L.A. Noire - WHY CAN'T I SKIP CUTSCENES, I'M REDOING A CASE I KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Drakengard has some of the worst gameplay I've played for an Action-RPG. 90% of the games challenge comes from dealing with the games awful camera and getting cheapshot from an off screen enemy. Not to mention I love how the Crossbow enemies not only have ridiculous range in the air, but their A.I. ranges from "stand there and block with your face" to "I'm mothersmurfing Legolas here, watch as I fire three arrows in rapid succession with my two partners and scoot back without moving my legs a good 10 feet when you try to attack me". I wasted a whole evening trying to finish one of the simple expedition missions but kept getting reamed at the last second thanks to being constantly cheesed by these ranged enemies. Don't even get me started on the dragon mode where half the enemy cannonballs work like you think they would and the other half are homing attacks. Good luck figuring out which is which when the enemy fills the screen with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Yeah, I think it's safe to say that Drakengard has some of the worst gameplay I've played for an Action-RPG. 90% of the games challenge comes from dealing with the games awful camera and getting cheapshot from an off screen enemy. Not to mention I love how the Crossbow enemies not only have ridiculous range in the air, but their A.I. ranges from "stand there and block with your face" to "I'm mothersmurfing Legolas here, watch as I fire three arrows in rapid succession with my two partners and scoot back without moving my legs a good 10 feet when you try to attack me". I wasted a whole evening trying to finish one of the simple expedition missions but kept getting reamed at the last second thanks to being constantly cheesed by these ranged enemies. Don't even get me started on the dragon mode where half the enemy cannonballs work like you think they would and the other half are homing attacks. Good luck figuring out which is which when the enemy fills the screen with them.
    Drakengard is gameplay-wise very lacking. Even Drakengard 3 is. As a matter of fact I do not even call them RPGs for real. And it is a pity because the Drakengard series has incredible story. They should have straight gone to more normal RPG gameplay. Nier and Nier 2 are really the only ones were the gameplay is okay. Drakengard 3 even has an amazing story but you pretty much have to deserve it by going through that gameplay first. And that you start of with just one of four weapons and the same kind of enemies is not really helping. They should have asked Platinum Games for normal Drakengard installments earlier.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Drakengard is gameplay-wise very lacking. Even Drakengard 3 is. As a matter of fact I do not even call them RPGs for real. And it is a pity because the Drakengard series has incredible story. They should have straight gone to more normal RPG gameplay. Nier and Nier 2 are really the only ones were the gameplay is okay. Drakengard 3 even has an amazing story but you pretty much have to deserve it by going through that gameplay first. And that you start of with just one of four weapons and the same kind of enemies is not really helping. They should have asked Platinum Games for normal Drakengard installments earlier.
    I've heard the series has crap for gameplay, which is why the development team asked Platinum to make the battle system for Automata.

I think what bugs me the most here is that Drakengard has some serious potential to be good, but it's held back by it's amateurish game design. I mean, who makes a 3D world and gives you no means of controlling the camera? The Shoulder buttons and even the RL3 buttons are mapped, but not circle? The dragon acts like it's a rail shooter during it's sections and the game has to let the A.I. cheat in order to maintain a threat level. It's fun to try out new weapons but you have to practically return to the starting missions to level them up because the game doesn't scale properly. Yet despite all that, if the game had better controls and A.I. it would actually be a pretty good game.

As it stands, the story and plot are what keep me invested which is why I'm sticking to it, but my goodness, the game is going to seriously try my patience.

Resident Evil 1 and 2: These games have absolutely NOT aged well at all. Though the story and dialogue can be enjoyable due to the unintentional hilarity, the tank controls, camera angles and massive amounts of backtracking (mostly due to the severely limited inventory space) not so much.

Star Wars Dark Forces: This game has quite possibly the worst control scheme I've ever seen.

Star Wars Dark Forces 2: The level design leaves a lot to be desired.

Half-Life: ...I got nothing.

Dark Souls II: The drop rates for Sunlight Medals are godawful. Thank god I found a sunbro to help me farm medals so I could finish collecting all 30.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Salt and Sanctuary (Vita). This game really frustrates me. I want to like it because I love the art style and the Castlevania vibe and all the cool weapon options. Here are my gripes:

• Lack of pause button. Going into your inventory keeps your character live on the screen and able to be hit. This isn't a problem most of the time since you can find safe spots, but it's annoying and unnecessary in a 1 player game.
    • Item usage. Every other action in this game is a button but for some reason the items require you to use the touch screen. Very annoying to be jumping and dodging around and then need to slide your thumb over to drink that potion. Also, the lack of pause means you have to switch through items in real time which is also annoying since it uses the d-pad meaning you can't move around and switch at the same time.
    • Respawning. The game does give you plenty of save points but sometimes they are far from your objective. So if you beat 4 challenging spots and die on the 5th, you have to redo those 4 things again. The game is very challenging and while I don't mind that I do mind having to repeat several areas just to get back to where I was. Reminds me of old NES games and not in a good way.

I hear this game is like a 2D Dark Souls. I always wondered if I was missing something by not getting aboard the Dark Souls train. I think it's safe to to say these aren't the games for me (at least not anymore) so I'm not sad I passed them up. They would frustrate the hell out of me!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum