Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I'm also going to mirror the complaints about Birthright. But I'm also bored with it. And it's not the genre or gameplay, cause I've played some Yggdra Union and Tactics Ogre and loved those. I just don't really care about the main plot. I'd rather dick around in the challenge maps and level up everyone's Social Links then do the actual plot.

In Digimon Cyber Sleuth you can't get any Royal Knights until after you beat them in a post game sidequest. No Gallantmon or Alphamon or Omnimon or the rest. Omnimon isn't that bad, getting a WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon where you need them would probably take you until post game unless you actively grind. But poor DoruGreymon, all his Megas were Royal Knights and I have dedigivolve him and go again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    In Digimon Cyber Sleuth you can't get any Royal Knights until after you beat them in a post game sidequest. No Gallantmon or Alphamon or Omnimon or the rest. Omnimon isn't that bad, getting a WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon where you need them would probably take you until post game unless you actively grind. But poor DoruGreymon, all his Megas were Royal Knights and I have dedigivolve him and go again.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh Mass Effect 3, I approve of the new enemy types and the heavier emphasis on directing teammates and using skills, hell I even like that you made stages a bit more involving than "stand by this cover until you kill the first wave, then advance and repeat until you've finished the area" but I don't appreciate how enemies can sometimes just spawn behind me. I had a hell of time on a side mission because the game would just let the enemies spawn wherever in huge swaths of the map and any time I tried to use a bit of strategy, it fell apart because the enemies would just spawn behind my carefully laid trap and murder one of us before we realized we were screwed. I also still hate the whole ammo thing ME2 brought in. I know it's plentiful but I honestly preferred the overheat mechanic of the original.

WA2, smurfing Brad Evans section, had to redo it two times to finish it. In the opening of the game, you have to play an introductory chapter for all three protagonists, these intros often serve as tutorials and give you a glimpse of the type of shenanigans the game is going to throw at you. Brad's chapter is actually the easiest of the three opening chapters due to being fairly straightforward and Brad being the heavy fighter of your team, even the boss is a joke. Why I had to redo this chapter so many times is because Brad's chapter teaches you about utilizing the games 360 degree camera for dungeons to find hidden treasures and clues for puzzles. Not a big deal normally but Brad's area has two treasure chests that are next to "points of no return" that are very easy to miss until it's too late if you're not paying attention and so yeah... considering it will be hours before I can return to this area, I'd rather just get all of the treasure on the first go, so I ended up replaying his chapter a few times because my completionist OCD combined with me being a bit too tired to be gaming at that hour kept making me screw up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The camera and the character models in Xenoblade. No one does the wave with their body when they breathe

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon Quest II - smurf Rhone, my god, even with a sanctuary with free healing/reviving and a save point, this area can be a nightmare if the game is feeling angry enough. There are four enemies in this area: Giants with loads of HP and hit really hard and they are the easiest creatures to deal with, Blizz Frosts that love to lower your defense and use instant death magic, an Arc Demon who has the use of the games strongest offensive spell, can breath fire (his weakest attack) the same physical/HP stats as the giants and can attack twice in their turn with their physical attacks, and then there is the Gold Baboon who hits hard and loves to use fire magic on you... oh and they also have Sacrifice which is like FFs Exploder Blue Magic that sacrifices the user for damage, except in this game the spell is a guarantee one-hit-kill and the spell hits your whole party. Did I mention they are fast enough to often go first and Stopspell doesn't always work?

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - This has been a fairly stellar game until I waltzed into Alternate Stage 5, the game's hidden level and easily the hardest. Checkpoint starvation combined pitfall deaths and goddamn bats makes this the most frustrating level. RoD did a lot to cut back on cheap pitfall deaths the series is notorious for, and basically just made one level for it in this game. It's also one of the longest stages as well and I've yet to reach the boss. Hell, one section is nearly impossible without the Axe Sub-Weapon and you only get it at the start of the stage before the closest checkpoint to that specific part. I now understand why this level was removed and replaced in the remake my goodness.

Mass Effect 3: Why are the loading times so long?! I already installed most of the disc on my PS3 and this is still the fastest you can go? I thought installing was suppose to fix this issue? Also, smurf you EA for making it impossible for my two favorite characters to survive the trilogy together. I just learned that Mordin can't be saved if Wrex is alive. Screw you. Also, the cover mechanics of this game are really screwy, I know I whined about this last time but I've suffered half a dozen deaths because of it since then so I feel it's safe to repeat myself. Also the game is pretty buggy with characters not loading into areas properly or funny moments like Shepherd and Liara having a real deep conversation ruined because both of them were still targeted at looking at Glyph, her VI Hologram that randomly floats in her quarters so neither of them ever had eye contact as they both awkwardly followed Glyph offscreen. Also, what the hell is up with all the lens flares?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Soul Hackers - the game feels like it was made in the 90s. Aside from the added voice acting and 3D, it really hasn't changed much from the Saturn/PSX release. Which is a shame considering Persona 2, a game from the same time AND the same series, struck a perfect balance having a remake with a soundtrack that's performed on a better synthesizer, new voice acting and a much more user-friendly and visually appealing UI. Soul Hackers just seems lazy in comparison. For crying out loud, one of the background textures looks like it was taken from some Word Art, which is just ridiculous.

Spore - I only started but I can already see some tasks getting tedious and that the specific stages could have been so much more than they turned out to be. Also, my graphics card is too good for this game to handle properly, leading to some issues at times.

Banned

I am playing "Wild Guns" for the SNES right now, and while I certainly think it's a great game I have always felt that the controls are a little bit restrictive.
    The way that the crosshair moves along with the character feels very awkward - it doesn't move at the same pace as the character, it actually moves slightly faster.
    Also, you cannot move while shooting, which can sometimes be a problem.
    Why didn't they use the A, L and R buttons to fix this?
    For example, you should always be able to run while shooting (with the crosshair keeping up at the same speed as you are running), and if you wanted to stand still and shoot, you could hold down the R button and have the "stand still while shooting" function thing active that way.

I think it's very unfortunate when games don't take full advantage of the buttons on the controller.
    When you play an action game, you want to be able to pull off as many moves as possible, and "Wild Guns" falls just a little bit short in that aspect - yes, you can do lots of things, like quickly jump out of enemy fire, double jump, use bombs etc, it's just the whole crosshair thing that bothers me a bit, and the fact that several buttons are left unused, which is kind of a waste.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 05-31-2016 at 03:13 PM.

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VI on my PS Vita (so it's the PS1 Port). I tried to play the iOS version but I hated the controls and I really, really, really hated the graphics.

I have not played a JRPG in a long time and I have to say, I have not missed random encounters. In a game as gorgeous as FFVI, it is freakishly annoying when you are always being bombarded by monsters. It took me a long time to come to terms with the encounters. The PS1 port has the slowest transition times in life between entering and exiting battles. Now I know I simply play and emulated version, speed up the time, blah blah blah. But I'm 25 hours into my game and I'm not switching to any other version to save Jesus.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

smurf Mass Effect 3, after spending a whole evening battling my way through wave after bulltrout wave of uber-powerful enemies, I'm this close to reaching the last area of the game and to see the damn ending I'm told I'll probably hate. The game has decided I need to be super cinematic about the whole ending nonsense and threw me into an unskippable part where I have to fend off enemies in aggravating slow motion with one of the weakest guns, my health reduced to OHKO, and my targeting ability is purposely jacked up to make it extremely difficult to aim as the aiming sight just randomly moves on its own. Wouldn't be a big smurfing deal if the game didn't have me go up against an enemy with loads of health and the requirement of needing at least four perfect headshots to beat quickly before he just guns me down. I died at least a dozen times at this point and finally just shut the game down out of frustration. I don't even care how it ends anymore. I lost interest in the Reapers and taking back the galaxy sometime after I finished the Quarian/Geth conflict and this little "cinematic" exercise is just killing my patience with this game even further. God this game was longer than was necessary.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    smurf Mass Effect 3, after spending a whole evening battling my way through wave after bulltrout wave of uber-powerful enemies, I'm this close to reaching the last area of the game and to see the damn ending I'm told I'll probably hate. The game has decided I need to be super cinematic about the whole ending nonsense and threw me into an unskippable part where I have to fend off enemies in aggravating slow motion with one of the weakest guns, my health reduced to OHKO, and my targeting ability is purposely jacked up to make it extremely difficult to aim as the aiming sight just randomly moves on its own. Wouldn't be a big smurfing deal if the game didn't have me go up against an enemy with loads of health and the requirement of needing at least four perfect headshots to beat quickly before he just guns me down. I died at least a dozen times at this point and finally just shut the game down out of frustration. I don't even care how it ends anymore. I lost interest in the Reapers and taking back the galaxy sometime after I finished the Quarian/Geth conflict and this little "cinematic" exercise is just killing my patience with this game even further. God this game was longer than was necessary.
    That sounds incredibly troutty and it kind of makes me glad I never bothered with finishing the game.

I found an online game the other day called 'Win the White House' where you run as President. Only real criticism is it's not very replayable and I'm disappointed there's no debate segment in the game. I like the way they did the primary debates with the issues presenting and answering questions regarding them. Would've like to see a primary debate similar to that or going back and forth with who you're running against.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenoblade - The quests mess me up sometimes. Like when I go out of my way to get the better item and it automatically takes the worst one? I'm not just going to throw out a bunch of my stuff to prevent that, I mean come on. Also showing characters on the map when you pull it up would be awesome

Earthbound - This game kicks kicking my butt

Atelier Sophie - No characters that have really grabbed me and made me fall in love with them

Saints Row: The Third - I wish there was more to explore. Now that I've done that activities I like and got all of the collectables... there's not much to do anymore besides the main storyline

Undertale - Also keeps kicking my butt

Blog Entries

I've been playing Chrono Trigger, and in 65,000,000 BC... when Ayla joins your party to retrieve the gate key, you can still have other people in your party who are presumably at the End of Time. This shouldn't be possible since the gate key had been stolen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anti-frustration feature?

Devil Survivor - ugh... The characters are NOT doing it for me. Atsuro is pretty cool, mostly thanks to Spike Spencer voicing him, but other characters are just incredibly annoying, Yuzu especially. I mean, I know a city-wide blackout will cause a lot of distress and it's realistic for someone to freak out, but it might have been easier to relate to her had she received a less terrible voice. The characters comment on every tutorial too, which is annoying as you basically receive every bit of instruction twice, so I kind of feel like the game is patronizing me. Lastly, the character designs are downright atrocious, which is weird, because I liked the guy's designs in what I saw of the Durarara anime, but here it's nothing short of dreadful. I hate the main characters weird cat headphones, Atsuro's stupid big hat, Haru's falling off dress, Gin's dumb goatee, and of course, the cherry on top, all the anti-gravity protruding come boobs. I don't think the artist has ever seen an actual woman. Plus, everyone is cross-eyed for some reason? And it would've been easier to take the Shomonkai more seriously were their clothes not a neon orange. They look like city cleaners, not a cult.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm playing the game of Life. They've must taken serious cues from From Software because this game is pretty much setup to make you fail if you play as a good-hearted and fair person. Go about as a yellow-belly snake who screws people over left and right and smurf up their lives you'll be rewarded immensely, so it's basically teaching you that being a dick is the only way to succeed in anything.

This is also probably the most prejudiced game I've played in years. Play as a cis white male and you're okay for the most part. It's just keeping a house, a car, taking care of family, and trying to make an honest living that'll screw you over nine times out of ten. Play as anyone else and you get trout from so many NPCs you want to go on a killing spree through the street, but the aiming mechanics are trout. And you won't get far before the police gun you down. Especially if you're black. They may very well just drive up to you and shoot you for no reason if you're black. What even the smurf?

The graphics are amazing, though. The best I've seen in any game. And the unpredictable nature of it all makes it worth playing, but damn. These game designers really doesn't give a smurf who they offend. I'd rather play Dark Souls than this crap.
    Last edited by Ayen; 06-14-2016 at 07:12 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's because you're playing the US-base game. Try the Continental Europe DLC. I mean, it's still not perfect, but the overall dynamics of the world are completely different.