Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticise the game you're playing right now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pillars of Eternity does not mark which areas you've visited on the world map, only those that you've uncovered. So I could very well be going in circles later on when there;s more areas. It can also be a pain as I saw my wife's transitions between areas growing ever longer as her save files became more and more bloated. So I just have to memorize which areas I've visited and which I just know exist.

I could also use a mini-map, but that's a really minor nitpick.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Banished is a very fun little city builder, but it is a little limited in scope. It could really have stood to have tech levels or something similar, to let you build things up taller as well as broader.

That said, there are mods like Colonial Charter that more or less totally address this point, so it's hard to care too much.

Also, been replaying Suikoden the last couple of days, and aside from the UI jank you can expect from a mid-90s RPG, the one thing I would really like to have seen is bonus endgame content, bonus dungeons and bosses and stuff.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yoshi's new world:
    Obviously not made for my age group.
    its pretty easy and if you die 2-3 times you get wings and just fly over everything to the end of the level.

but i love Yoshi :3

A lot of the bosses in Darkest Dungeon rely on infinite spawning enemies, one of the game mechanics I hate the most no matter where or how it is implemented. Also there seems to be a lot of grinding...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 which I'll simply start off by saying that it is not a franchise I've ever cared for. If you like these types of games, good for you, but I just don't see the appeal.

My major gameplay gripe at the moment is how sometimes a mission can be a luck-based battle depending on who you get partnered up with, and who you are up against. In trying to do this one mission, I kept either getting stuck with minor characters with crappy mobile suits as partners who kept getting killed off if I wasn't constantly babysitting them or the enemy kept getting their top three aces from their team who loved to travel as a group and respawned after what felt like 10 seconds from when I took them down. Usually I got some combination of both leading to getting my ass handed to me if I wasn't using a character with an overpowered Mobile Suit like the Unicorn or Nu Gundam. The party choices are random too so I sometimes which the lineup was either set or I could choose.

My other gripe has more to do with nature of franchise fan-service titles in that the more popular series get uneven representation from less popular series. Kind of like how Record Keeper heavily favors FFIV, VI, VII, and X until very recently. You would almost think Gundam was just the first two series of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam as they have tons of characters from their series whereas the other series are lucky to get two representatives. I mean I understand that G Gundam was more popular in the West but this type of game is just a perfect fit for that series. It's massive cast of different Gundams would have been a blast to use in this game since they offered a bit of variety but, instead we only get two playable characters and a side character. Still better than poor Victory Gundam... not to mention 08th MS Team and 0080 War in the Pocket get zero representation.

The game also couldn't get a lot of voice actors to come back to reprise their roles so poor Domon sounds nothing like his original VA, and Heero Yui is comically being voiced by the same actor who plays his rival, making this an amusing moment of talking to yourself.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am sooo smurfing sick of the minigame in Shikkoku no Sharnoth. I can't make heads or tails of the enemy movement AI which is real bad since the objective is to avoid them and reach certain spots. Naturally that means you want to lure them away from the critical positions, but HOW THE smurf DO YOU EVEN DO THAT!? On top of that, every round there's a chance for a totally random event to happen and if you're unlucky you can get completely screwed over, like if you lose two turns when the enemies are right next to you (yes this actually happened). If you lose you have to retry from the beginning which is just frustrating because it's not fun at all and even though it probably only takes around 10-15 minutes each time it feels like I wasted a goddamn hour on it.

I should've just chosen to turn it off at the start. But I didn't want to do that because it's actively discouraged by the game itself since there are some very plot-relevant scenes in them you miss out on that way. This minigame can go to hell.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention how when you actually WANT the enemies to go into certain traps they will sometimes completely end up ignoring you even though you are literally four spaces away (the minimum so you can still stay safe when they take their turn). Now that's just wonderful.
    Last edited by Karifean; 03-21-2016 at 02:29 AM.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Senran Kagura Estival Versus hasn't done much for the Gessen Girls. And Yumi, thanks to her popularity in Japan, is everywhere. And the Hanzo girls have barely had any screen time. I've used Asuka for a couple of missions with Ikaruga and Katsuragi having one a piece. Yagyu and Hibari haven't had any. Again this probably has something to do with popularity and making way for the new characters, but they were once the main characters. And Asuka's grandmother is playing a role similar to the heavy. So you'd think she'd have more presence, but nope it's Yumi and co. looking for their grandfather and not getting any new character development.

And the combat is a little on the easy side. There's this optional mission that's four stars that I decided to do shortly after jumping in. It involved the leaders of all the factions getting hit by this weird potion that made them spout insults at one another, but it doesn't work on Yumi (go figure). So to solve this, they use another potion that makes them insult one another. And you play as Yumi fighting the other three character at the same time. Homura and Asuka are usually the toughest fights in the games, but I had no problem with it.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"WHY THE SMURF DO I CARE ABOUT GROWING THESE BLOODY CAULIFLOWERS"

You know the game.

Just finished FFVI again

I wish Shadow was a more reliable party member during the first half of the game; it's annoying wanting to use someone you know may leave you after battles.

I also wish the game better communicated to the player what was and was not a magic attack, and that physical damage scaled better. As the game stands, virtually EVERY character gains the most benefit from pumping the magic stat, even when they appear to be physically inclined.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I just finished Final Fantasy VI and playing it yet again. What Rez just said was correct. Magic will break the game. So will Gau. I am playing the original (FFIII NA) version and there are huge translation holes in it. Mostly involving Shadow, but other things like telling people if we don't do this we will never see our friends again... Two of the people talking have not met the rest yet. Things like that.

The ambush rate while camping in Darkest Dungeon is way too high and one of the most frustrating things in the game.

Dota 2. When you win, it's a great feeling. When you lose, you suddenly think you wasted hours and suddenly hate your life.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Man FIFA brings out the rage. For me it's equalled only by the NBA 2K series for "punch a wall" type rage that it causes. Both games suck me in every time though.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

alien isolation

TOO SCARY

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pillars of Eternity.

It's superb in almost every way but some of the quests in Act III are... esoteric in their descriptions, shall we say.