Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Thread: Praise the game you're playing right now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Imma do an updated one since I am in to the games further now:

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel:
    LOVE this game. Great characters, great story, fun gameplay. While it is pretty cookie cutter JRPG, it takes things from a ton of other games I like and mixes them together and it does it really well.

Breath of Fire 3:
    Having a lot of fun with it and I really like the characters. The gameplay is fun and I like learning enemy skills. I love the mood whiplash as well.

Grandia II:
    Fun, good characters, interesting combat system, good customization, and the story is really starting to draw me in more and more.

Dragon Age: Origins:
    Leliana and Dog. I really liked the elf/werewolf storyline.

Earthbound:
    Cute and charming, interesting concept of using a modern world and setting and basing enemies and stuff off of that.

Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax:
    Lots of good characters and colour swaps that I enjoy.

Project X Zone:
    Also many good characters merged together in to one fun game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hyrule Warriors:
    This is the most fun I've had playing a video game since I don't know when.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

I didn't expect to like Tales of Xillia, but it really surprised me. The combat was great fun, and the story had more than enough twists and turns to keep me engaged throughout. It's quite old-fashioned in some ways, and relies on some time-worn JRPG tropes, but thoroughly charming with it. Solid 9/10.

Digimon Cyber Sleuth is the most fun I have gotten out of the franchise since Tamers. It's very pretty for a Vita cross-release and is surpising interesting in the story department. I am very glad I gave it a chance.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Pillars of Eternity is pretty great so far. There's some cool dialogue, and I think the way you shape your characters backstory and how events are presented are quite unique and awesome.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i freaking love silly games with Yoshi :3
    Yoshi's new world

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Against my better judgement, my need for mecha goodness has led me to play through Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, which I thankfully picked up used pretty cheap. The fanservice of the game is pretty great with the game being a Dissidia style mash-up of all of the various Gundam franchises.

My biggest surprise was getting Kou Araki from 0083 Stardust Memory in this title with his actual Gundam. Kou is not exactly the most popular character from 0083, in fact his rival and antagonist Gato is often the more iconic character from the series. Part of this is because Kou breaks a few of the Gundam traditions of not being a Newtype (Gundam's version of the Jedi) so he has no special powers and he also is not a prodigy like most other main characters in the series. He gets good enough to take on Gato (who is a prodigy but not a Newtype) but the series makes it obvious that Gato is still the better pilot. So it's kind of nice to see a lesser character get some love.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Senran Kagura Estival Versus is a huge improvement over the last Versus. The plot is more interesting and the character retain their character development. Yomi and Hikage, my two favorite characters, get a few scenes together and have kind of turned into Statler and Waldorf commenting on everything. And Hikage is turning into a huge troll. I was unsure about it in Shinovi Versus, but I'm pretty much convinced at this point she's just missing with people. Especially Imu. Speaking of Imu, I wasn't a big fan of her in SV, but her character is a lot more likable now. Her creepy Miyabi obsession has been toned down a bit and she's treating her sister a lot better. And Ryona and Ryobi are getting some more character development too with their sister coming back.

And the combat is a smooth as ever. And the new characters have even more over the top weapons. Renka fights with Taiko drums and lightning. The middle sister, Hanabi, fights with a giant hammer and fireworks. And the younger sister, Kafuru, fights with water pistols and a dolphin. And Ryoki is Captain America with a shotgun. I can't play as her yet, but fought her once and she looks fun.

Just finished Final Fantasy VI again, so I figure that's a good game to toss some praise at.

I like the balance this game found between character definition and customization, with (almost) every character possessing something unique while also having access to many common abilities as well, even if some of those common abilities (*cough*cover*cough*) aren't the most useful.

I also found myself respecting a lot of little ideas in the game I hadn't given much notice before, particularly Shadow and Cyan's unique scenes. What both of them have lost and how the game chooses to convey this to the player are things I greatly appreciated, and I found my opinion on one of the characters shifting yet again.

Final Fantasy III on Steam...
    The music really starts to get good once you get to the surface world. "Boundless Ocean" is when it picks up.
    Love the battle system. All Jobs being viable is nice.
    MogNet is a cute thing and the fact it depends on your party leader is interesting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bravely Second is a joy to play. The core gameplay is pretty much unchanged from the original, but there's enough new stuff in there to make it fresh and interesting. The character interactions are also pretty neat and it's cool that we start with all-new jobs. I can't wait to play more!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've always enjoyed Xenosaga Episode 1. I really love the battle system and the mini-games, and it easily has my favorite parts of the overall plot in it. I'm getting ready to do the Encepholon Dive into KOS-MOS which is about the time the game decided to take the kiddy gloves off.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze reminds me of why I like platforming games. It encourages precision gained through trial & error and requires memory and thoughtfulness. I also like that almost every level has a unique mechanic that is not used in any other level, making the worlds much less repetitive than other platformers. And the visuals were outstanding, best I've ever seen in a 2D platforming game.
    Last edited by Del Murder; 04-11-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Very impressed with the cinematics, presentation and atmosphere in the first few hours of Metal Gear Solid 3. All main characters are introduced, there's funny moments, gruesome moments (dat elbow break) and drama moments and trippy moments. My last saves were from 2006 and 2011 respectively and I feel like I am more impressed now compared to last times I have played.

Also I threw a python into Sokolov's room and it was funny.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Half Life is pretty cool so far. While not my genre, I like how it's got a fairly engaging story without cutscenes and what not. While I've got stuck a few times, I must say the level design is actually really well crafted as I have yet to really get stuck or have one of those "well now what?" scenarios.