Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: Praise the game you're playing right now!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Stellaris is fantastic. A perfect blend of 4X and grand strategy. The best space game in years

Blog Entries

What? FF9?

I'm actually starting to remember why I loved it. I guess I was just sick of using the same characters.

Here's my Final Battle line ups over the years:

Zidane, Garnet, Steiner, Vivi
    Zidane, Eiko, Stiener, Vivi
    Zidane, Eiko, Garnet, Steiner

I may have played this game about 20 times or something and I got all meh about it. This time I'm building on Steiner and Eiko as usual, while bolstering Freya and Quina. I'm still not sure if I want Quina or Garnet with me. Given I'm a bit fed up of her, i might ditch her for Quina. And...I'm dispensing with that gameplay/story hog Zidane for once. I used to love him, now I'm bored.

Who needs Garnet when theres Eiko? You can make Eiko powerful simply from walking into a weapon or synth shop with a truck load of money. And, since ive been using Quina and her millionaire ability its been easier for me money wise, I normally run out. And thank you guys for letting me know Level 5 Death makes those Grand Dragons wish they were hatchlings sucking on their momma's teet.

Banned

Boco

I just discovered "R-Type 3: The Third Lightning" for the SNES;
    damn good game, I must say.
    I haven't quite finished it yet (I beat some Mode-7 boss a while ago that flew around in a room with 3 deadly moving orbs, and then I died many times on the next stage, lol) but I have certainly played enough to be able to form an opinion, and it's definitely one of the best scroller shooters I have played so far.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 05-16-2016 at 02:46 AM.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

R-Type is a classic series.

R-Type Fynal for the PS2 is a solid entry that gets over-looked.

There's a lot of ship and weapon options, so for a side-scrolling/top down shooter, it has some decent replay-ability.

Banned

Another game that I can highly recommend is "Wild Guns" for the Super Nintendo.
    It is a kind of futuristic western shooter where your characters are in the foreground and you shoot at enemies in the background.
    It seems really unknown for some reason, but I can assure you that it's a wonderful game.
    Also, the music is great, which is a really good thing - I consider music to be one of the most important parts about a game, right behind the controls.
    The music alone can determine if I develop an interest in a game or not, and this game has brilliant music - every single track speaks to you and is very melodic.

Clearly, the front cover is heavily inspired by Indiana Jones!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    R-Type is a classic series.

R-Type Fynal for the PS2 is a solid entry that gets over-looked.

There's a lot of ship and weapon options, so for a side-scrolling/top down shooter, it has some decent replay-ability.
    I thought the stage in R-Type 3 that started going backwards after a boss battle was really cool - I think it was Stage 3.
    There was this maze with fire burning everywhere, and I really needed to memorize that part and learn exactly what the darn fire was doing at every instant.

I have also just found out that there is an "Advanced Quest" or something after you have finished the game once - apparently that's basically Hard Mode with more projectiles and faster enemies etc, kinda like the second quests in Super Mario Bros and Castlevania.

I am pretty used to space shooters in general (I have played several of the Gradius games, and also Life Force, Gun-Nac, Recca and Firepower 2000), but for some reason R-Type 3 still managed to feel innovative and exciting.
    The metal music is awesome, and the weapons are super-cool.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 05-16-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Type-0 currently replaying it, so yeah it definitely has replay value so you learn more about the story and the characters. I really like the battle system, it feels fluid and each character has different strengths. it's just unfortunate I opted for pc. It's like they never used a keyboard.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finally broke into Mass Effect 3, so far my favorite thing about the game is that it's met me halfway with customization, finding a system that's more streamlined than ME1, but not to the point where Shep feels like the only character I'm doing anything for. Also, it's great to have Ashley Back (before she took a cyborg to the face at least) as I kind of forgot how much I liked her. Recruiting the crew has been fun even if I'm still in the very early parts of the game. So far feeling the groove.

Also started up another file for Wild Arms 2 because I'm compiling a list of my top favorite games and I remember really enjoying this one and so far hot damn if it isn't a real treat. So this game lets you choose to end your game after saving a la Dragon Quest, unlike Dragon Quest, Wild Arms 2 begins the series trend making every playthrough have an opening and ending theme, so when you boot up a file, you're treated to an awesome opening theme and when you choose to end the game you get an ending theme. There are new opening and ending themes on the second disc as well. The music for these sequences are awesome as well. Another cool treat is that the game gives bosses an interesting intro where the silhouette is seen and the game tells you their name and title. It's hardly important but still fun to see.

Mechanically the game has some cool ideas, for instance random encounters are a bit less random as your character will gain an exclamation point over their head just before a battle starts. If it's red, then either you or the enemy surprised attacked or more likely the enemy is higher level than you. Enemies lower level than you give a white exclamation point with a bit longer delay before battle. If you hit the square button in time during the white one, the battle is completely skipped so you don't have to worry about being bogged down by battles. Also puzzles, sweet glorious puzzles!

Another cool trick is how magic is handled, the first game used a standard MP system but WA2 changed this so there is no such system. Instead, magic is locked behind the force gauge (think Limit Break meter) so you can only access certain spells when you have enough FG for the minimum requirement to use the spell such as the heal spell being usable once 10% of the FG is filled. Even better, magic doesn't even use the FG it's just locked behind it based on its power so once you get it to a certain point, you can use magic as freely as you want. The downside of course being that using any FG abilities will possible prevent you from using magic the next round, especially a problem when you notice that LIlika's final FG ability that uses all 100% of her FG gauge is Dual Cast. It's a nice balancing act though, also I forgot how much I smurfing love Lilika, she is so adorable.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Uncharted 4 is enjoyable. Not as good as U2 or U3 but still an enjoyable action romp. I'm looking forward to finishing though. I've much preferred playing Mass Effect and I'm super close to finishing that.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Updates and new games:

FE: Birthright - Very approachable and easy for someone like me who is mostly in it for the matchmaking and character interactions.

Little Big Planet - Pretty adorable and I like getting to customize my Sackboy

Saints Row -The Third- - Actually a lot of fun. I can do pretty much what I used to do in the old GTA games but this time I can be a lady. There's good outfit choices and the game pokes fun at itself.

Bravely Second - Much more subtlety than the last game, new outfits, characters are less bland, and some interesting moral dilemmas.

Articles
    Blog Entries

*executes the unconscious miniboss*

GAME OVER. You're created a Time Paradox!

I lol'd.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Playing through kotor again (the twist is stupid and the second game is better but I still enjoy it for the most part) and I'd forgotten about Taris being destroyed when you leave. Something about the fact that everything you did there, every life you saved, every situation improved, is utterly undone by the fact that you were on the planet and you're one of the only people who gets away because screw all of those innocent people (and assholes). It's just so delightfully pointless that I can't help but smirk every time I think about it.

Probably going to move on to kotor 2 once I finish with this one again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm noticing the foreshadowing in Xenoblade the second time around and it's pretty well done. Kudos to them. And the massive world and quests and all of course

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon Quest II - Almost finished, and it's been a fun ride this time around. Despite being very old school, the game just has a certain mechanical charm I can't help but love. I'm now grinding in Rhone before taking on the final dungeon.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood: After finishing the remake, I decided to test out the original and can honestly say I like it better. The anime aesthetics might not have the draw of the series more notable character designer but I feel it works better for some of the more lighthearted elements of the game. I'm also just impressed by the game's cinematic approach considering its age. The game is also faster due to the lower amount of animation frames whereas the 3D remake feels a bit sluggish and makes certain enemies and bosses less threatening. The music is also really cool, with a very 90s anime action feel to it that I like over the remade tracks that try to stay more in line with the post SotN titles. Barring Alternate Stage 5, I prefer the original over the remake.

Mass Effect 3: I think I finally realize what was really missing from ME2 for me, and that's the grand politics that made you feel like you were in an immersed universe. Granted it's still there in ME2, but dropping it down to the smaller micro-level where characters are lamenting over past mistakes that led to political problems isn't as interesting when you don't have the threat of running into the larger ramifications of your action the next time you walk into the Citadel. I missed the "grand picture" that makes space operas interesting and I'll be damned if ME3 isn't trying to do its best to bring back that feeling from the first game. I'm dealing with more aliens that matter, I get to get involved more with the political back-stabbing of the Council Races instead of making everything about humanity and the reapers.

Also, glad to have Garrus back, Liara is now a fun character and the revelation of her "father" made my day as I loved that character in ME2, and while netiher of them are playable, I adore Wrex and Mordin and I almost don't want to do the Genophage mission due to knowing I'll lose out on seeing both of them for awhile. Course I still want to see Tali.. Also, Ashley got smoking hot between games. As it stands, I still love ME1 the best, but ME3 has shaped up to be a more engaging experience for me than ME2.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Soul Hackers - very interesting plot, lots of Native American myths are present, which is pretty rare for a MegaTen game, but I love it. Aside from that, the gameplay has aged surprisingly well and the loyalty system is pretty cool. Also, I love Zeed.

Spore - incredibly charming game. I love how my creature looks and acts and how I created it. Amazingly creative little gem.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Xenoblade - So much to do and see. Love the character relationship building, the playable characters are really growing on me, and the story is getting much more exciting.

Atelier Sophie - OUTFITS and much more beginner friendly than some of the other recent entries