Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Praise the game you're playing right now!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dragon Age 2 is no joke one of the boldest RPGs ever made in terms of concept and story. Also it's fun. Everyone else can bite me

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Dragon Age 2 is no joke one of the boldest RPGs ever made in terms of concept and story. Also it's fun. Everyone else can bite me
    I've said it before but I won't stop; whoever decided I can't side with the Arishok is the one who can bite me.

I've had Growlanser:Wayfarer of Time on my PSP for ages and finally decided to give it a try; it's been an enjoyable experience so far.

Combat is an interesting ATB-based tactics system that I'm digging so far, especially since the game expects you to understand more than a simple rock-paper-scissors combat style and grants you additional rewards based on how well you do in story missions, though the rewards so far haven't been anything more than xp and money.

Character customization is easy to understand and offers an appreciable depth, with skills being taught from crystals that offer both their own passive benefits as well as the abilities they are teaching you, so you can juggle around passive abilities you want from your stones and what you want to learn, which gives the game's customization that balance I really like.

I'm appreciating aspects of the story so far, particularly that both sides of the game's primary conflict have good and bad people within them, which actually made the option to ditch my new friends to rejoin my old allies from the start of the game a hard choice for once. I'm totally going through a second time JUST to pick that option and see how much the game changes -- hopefully it will be like Der Langrisser and I'll get an entirely new scenario!

I've also got a sidekick character who has almost grown into the leader of my party, going from a more timid character to someone who launches rescue missions and I have the option to defer to in conversations now, which is spiffy; it'll be interesting to see where that ends up.
    Actually, that pretty much sums up how I feel about the game as a whole -- I'm interested in seeing where everything ends up, which is more than I can say about most games I play.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter has an incredible atmosphere and I love how all the gameplay elements are there to build up the narrative by making it actually feel tense. There are no inns and the only way to heal are healing items, and you have a very limited inventory. And that's just the tip of the ice berg. The D-counter is a genius device that I really didn't appreciate back in the day but now I really love it. It makes your choice of playstyle really matter and drives the point home just how powerful and how damaging to your own body the dragon powers are.

Actually, I'm currently playing FF V on my PS3. I bought it from the PS store. I'm in World 3 and am currently grinding. I love the job classes and summon creatures. A real gem of a game imo.

Bloody Breath of the Wild. All these months later still playing it, still finding new things, and still having fun. The last week or two I've found myself falling in love with it all over again and I'm still only playing my original file.

I have it running right now as I type this.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

So far I'm really digging the story and characters, special shout out for having some returning characters from Ogre Battle right off the bat as well, though it makes me sad I failed to make Lanselot into a Paladin in my last playthrough.

Speaking of Ogre Battle, I love seeing the classes from that game reworked for this entry. Though some classes like the Valkyrie/Rune Fencer seemed to have been nerfed pretty bad, it's nice that Warriors and Archers got beefed up.

Dear lord the amount of choices in this game is also staggering, and makes it feel like Mass Effect before ME. I'm not sure which route I'll get, but I have no intention of using the Wheel of Time to replay scenarios until a second playthrough.

Currently playing Birth by Sleep on PS4 (part of the 1.5+2.5 collection).

I kind of lost touch with the series after Kingdom Hearts II and so have been going through the PS4 releases of the games. I'm pleasantly surprised with the game, since my understanding is all the spin-offs before BBS (CoM, Coded, and Days) weren't particularly good--and can confirm in the case of CoM when I played and dropped the original GBA game when it released and having played the PS2 remake on this collection. But BBS seems exactly what I'd want from a portable kingdom hearts--essentially, a fast paced, perhaps smaller, version of KH1 and KH2. It helps that only one world is a returning world, so seeing a lot of new worlds is really fun!

Well, I mean, I don't game much these days. I played Bound that was pretty...

I've been playing Final Fantasy XV, the Assassin's Festival was fun, still doesn't make me want to play Assassin's Creed (I prefer Thief), all except the the friggin' Capture the Flag which I'm pretty sure is glitched based on whether you start it before/after the festival story events, and Shady Dealings which is just a useless endeavor.

Zora: I am the same.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Wild Arms
    I love the little unique things like getting Fast Draw hints and Arms in different places rather than just getting skills in level up or through some AP system. The tools also make puzzle solving and finding treasure fun. There are also some unique items like the Secret Signs and Crest Graphs that you don't see in other RPGs.

Witcher 3
    I love the detail given to some of the side quests. They feel like main quests and have some originality to them rather than 'Collect X of Y' or 'kill this monster'. There are the Witcher contracts that are more routine but even those try to have some backstory to each of them (even if they end up usually being 'follow tracks to kill the monster'). I also appreciate the unexpected ways your decisions affect later outcomes. I did not expect some of my choices to do that!

Also, I love Gwent. The NPCs suck so bad at it though. I wish there was a cell phone version.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Holy hell the stuff that goes on in this plot. Makes you realize that FFTactics has no bite to it's writing and Matsuno and his team have just been mellowing out ever since the 16-bit era. So I'm in Chapter 2, and chose the Law path, which is just as MegaTen as that sounds. So high marks there.

I'm also digging the classes of this game, it's been interesting to see the classes from Ogre Battle get translated over into this medium. Granted there are some wonky balancing issues and it's funny to see classes that were kind of ho-hum in the original (Warriors, Archers, and Vartans) get some serious beefing up while classes that were pretty OP in Ogre Battle (Rune Fencers/Valkyrie and Terror Knights) got nerfed. I even recruited my first monster! Just sad it wasn't something more beefy like a Gryphon.

The encounter rate in this game is also pretty low for these types of games, which is kind of nice since battles can take forever, but more importantly, it prevents needless grinding. In fact, considering how the skill system works, this game feels like a nice compromise between FFT and FFTA's systems with the player having more control on how to develop their classes, but skill points are rewarded for completing battles and not what you do in them. This helps add control of how your developing your army while at the same time, preventing you from going too far into grind mode outside of just going into needless battle after another. So basically, I'm comfortable where my party build is, but for once I'm not overleveled to get to that point.

I've only begun to play Bayonetta for the first time and it's fantastically over the top.

And dat Fly Me to the Moon cover:

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Death Road to Canada is chaotic and crazy but I love it. I love its jazzy music and graphic style, and I love how it doesn't take itself seriously. The bonus characters (our boy Cloud is one!) are genius, especially Lank/Lonk/Lunk. Hyaaaaaaaaaagh! smurfing kills me every time god damn it.

Attack on Titan Wings of Freedom makes me feel like a god whenever I smash a titan. It's Dynasty Warriors in a whole new flavour and I'm okay with that.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Attack on titan is a fantastic game. One of those rare few that can make something as typically straightforward as moving an absolute joy on its own.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

COD: WW2 - The game included the option of iron sights on the sniper rifle Kar98k. That. Is. It. It's a truly awful game.

Str8 Pimpin'