Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast

Thread: Praise the game you're playing right now!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Dragon Age: Origins is so friggin gorgeous. I could very happily just walk around the Hinterlands looking at the lighting and taking in the scenery.

EDIT: Derp, meant to say Inquisition.
    Last edited by Pheesh; 04-26-2016 at 02:37 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Let's see, some new games I am playing...

Fire Emblem: Birthright - More approachable so I'll feel much better about replaying it

Tomb Raider (PS3) - Also more approachable than I thought. I've died like 80 times already but when I mess up, it isn't a big deal. I can just keep truckin and try again

Time and Eternity - The gameplay is pretty fun and there's no shortage of sidequests. Beautiful visuals as well

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    Dragon Age: Origins is so friggin gorgeous. I could very happily just walk around the Hinterlands looking at the lighting and taking in the scenery.
    Surely you mean Inquisition, right? Because Origins taught me the many wonderful applications of the colour brown.
    Yeah I did, I don't know why I said Origins :/ I don't even remember if the Hinterlands was in Origins as an area, though I haven't played it in a while.

Life.

Pretty solid game. Great immersion. But it sucks that you only have one chance and cannot save.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some games definitely benefit from an ironman mode, like Crusader Kings 2, or XCom. Life is not among them, and I have no idea why the devs are so completely committed to it being the sole mode of play.

Armored Core Nexus is a game about building a big mech according to your own standards and then blowing up a lot of trout with it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Divinity: Original Sin has a very refreshing classless character advancement system that managed to also offer a lot of direction and openness. Plus having a rep system and the ability to roleplay two custom characters in their interactions with each other is pretty neat. Combat is good too.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dragon Age Inquisition has Dorian Pavus in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    I don't even remember if the Hinterlands was in Origins as an area, though I haven't played it in a while.
    I don't believe it was!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Technically yes, as it's where Redcliffe is located, but as you only go to Redcliffe, it doesn't really count Most of the Hinterlands is in that big black patch of Darkspawn on the world map after Lothering falls so IT'S 4:20PM SMOKE WEED ERRYDAY you don't really go there at all.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Technically yes, as it's where Redcliffe is located.
    t9Kkt8h.jpg

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

About done with Bioshock Infinite. I ignored it, and didn't read anything about it, or watch any play-throughs so I could go into with no knowledge of the game.

I have my issues with the game, but overall I like it. I think they've done a much better job of creating a more engaging and interactive world vs. the first Bioshock.

Seeing the results of a collapsed, dystopian city was fun, but being there to watch it happen is much more compelling. It was a smart choice.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

FFX-2, there's a lot of customization you can do. And the Chemist might just be the best class in the game. Free Potions, free pheonixes, free rememdies! BIG BOMBS! It's great. And I forgot how much I loved Sphere Break. It took me one match to remember how to play and clean house.

Metal Gear Solid 3 praise: I love how there is very little forced tutorial and it totally fits with being a survivalist in the jungle. No phonecalls are forced to tell you how to handle a bossfight or specifically how to get where. I love that and appreciate it now more compared to when the game first came out.

Graphics and level design-wise I have always been impressed with this game and that still holds up too. There's very little filler and all levels have details making that area it's own thing; the swampy area, the fence checkpoint area, the lagoon area etc. Really enjoying the indoor locations too (warehouse, science lab). They feel real; the science lab has toilets, a food storage, a library, computer offices, guard offices, a locker room and more. That's credibility folks!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final fantasy xiii is very pretty to look at with the basis for some pretty interesting lore. The battle system is also pretty fun once it opens up more. I also think the characters all have interesting concepts.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is often regarded by message boards and some fan sites as they best entry (and surprisingly last) in the Classicvania style of gameplay, before Symphony of the Night showed up and the series switched to Metroidvania style. I am honestly finding myself to believe that the game does live up to the hype surprisingly enough.

While the game still controls and plays like the NES entries of Castlevania with limited maneuverability and attack range, it does make for a strong game because it does have minor improvements that make it better than some of its predecessors like the ability to control your fall after you jump. The old games have always been about spatial awareness, rewarding players who are willing to stop, observe, and then battle instead of just mindless heading right as quickly as possible.

The coolest feature of the game is that it's the first entry to have multiple endings and even though it still uses a level system of progress, each stage has an alternate path which leads to an alternate boss and even to alternate levels. There are seven stages in the game but really there are fourteen. Throw in the fact this game lets you use an alternate character with a different play-style who can access sections of levels Richter cannot, and you have one hell of a time sink.

The level designs are also fairly strong even if the game takes the kiddie gloves off by stage four (almost a Castlevania tradition) and the boss fights have actually been really strong. Especially amusing how the Werewolf is a boss in this game when he gets relegated to one of the deadlier mooks in later Castlevania titles thanks to his mobility.

So yeah, having a blast with this one. I'm still unlocking stages and trying to rescue all the maidens and I haven't even touched Maria. Even better, since I'm playing the Dracula X Chronicles remake, I have the opportunity to play the improved Japanese version of classic Symphony of the Night and I can unlock the original Rondo of Blood.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Fortune Summoners: Adorable!

Okami: Graphically stunning and fun to play.

Dungeon Travelers 2: OUTFITS!

If My Heart Had Wings: Sweet, good side characters, main ladies don't revolve around the main dude.

Bravely Second: MORE OUTFITS!