Thread: Thunderdome Discussion Thread

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Thunderdome/Abilities/Items How-To!

A How-To Guide to Thunderdome!
    STATS!

Each character has a set of statistics, with both a strength and weakness. The opposing side will never see the individual cards, so be sure to keep your stats a SECRET from other teams!

Have you ever played Top Trumps? Because it's going to be a little bit like that, for an example to show you how to do this... I made up a set of character cards! Neither of these characters feature in the event.

Each character in this event has 200HP.

So, how do we take down the opponents HP?

Well, you see those stats there? THAT'S HOW! Each opponent will take it in turns to choose a stat to fight with. So let's say that in this round, Edea goes first - she chooses MAG, she has 140 MAG, whereas Sabin only has 50...

The difference between the two number is the amount of HP that the losing side will lose. In this case, it is Sabin who loses 90HP.

Sabin - 110/200
    Edea - 200/200

Sabin's turn! He is going to hit Edea with STR! Edea loses!

Sabin - 110/200
    Edea - 120/200

Ahhh! What will Edea do? She has already used MAG, so cannot use it again... This time, she's going to go for SPD!
    It does not work in her favour!

Sabin - 110/200
    Edea - 80/200

Sabin opts to use DEF! Edea loses a futher 30HP

Sabin - 110/200
    Edea - 50/200

She goes back to her strength! MAGD! Sabin loses another 90HP (OUCH!)

Sabin - 20/200
    Edea - 50/200

At this point, all stats have been played! Edea has more HP than Sabin, EDEA WINS!

However, Sabin could have been smart and used an item to restore some of his HP earlier in the match... If Sabin had used a Hi-Potion at the right time, Sabin might have won.... But in this case, Sabin was outmatched by Edea on the stats overall... Poor Sabin

In the actual Thunderdome, only 4 stats will be played as each character's points are even, unlike in this match! So carry on reading to find out how else you can play your hand in the Thunderdome...
    Last edited by Night Fury; 02-21-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

A Further Guide to Thunderdome
    ABILITIES & ITEMS

So now you know how the basics of Thunderdome go, but the whole thing would be rather boring and dull indeed if you were just chancing it on stats, right? Yes. I agree. So, to make things more exciting, and to encourage competition, each character has a unique ability that can be found in this thread. Make note of your characters ability. As well as abilities, there will be daily challenges happening in order for you to obtain equipable items that you can take with you to the Thunderdome.To show you how this will all work, I will once again set up an example.

In the Thunderdome, you will have no access to your opponents stats, it's all guesswork and strategy based on how you use your abilities and gained items.

HERE WE GO!

ULTIMECIA
    Ability
    Time Kompression - Undo the effects of the last move, but the stat remains frozen.Items Equipped
    DEF+
    Hi Potion
    Glue

SEIFER
    Ability

Knight - Can half a single available stat to incur that damage to the opponent.Items Equipped
    STR+
    Astral Skin
    Hi Potion
    Before we begin, let's discuss the items. First of all, items highlighted in red are STAT BOOSTS. They do not require a turn to be used, and in this case give the stat a boost of 20 points.

Items in green are CONSUMABLE items and they require a turn to use.

Items in blue are ENVIRONMENTAL and apply a status effect to the opponent.

So, as you can see, it is well worth your while as a team to stock up your inventory with items!

NOW! ABILITIES!
    Abilities can be used only once in the Thunderdome, so it's best to strategise as to whether you should use it straight away or save it. Many abilities have a cost, so be sure you are doing what is in your best interest when you use it. So, we'll fight now shall we?

Let's check what the stats are when we take into consideration the items being held!

Ultimecia's defense is raised by 20 points.
    Seifer's strength is raised by 20 pointsLet's look at their stats now!

Ultimecia
    STR - 60
    DEF - 80
    MAG - 120
    MAGD - 120
    SPD - 40

Seifer
    STR - 140
    DEF - 100
    MAG - 50
    MAGD - 50
    SPD - 40

Ultimecia's 'GLUE' environment lowers Seifer's speed by 40 points (ouch), so that's why his speed has dropped also!

You following? Good! We're going to battle next!

Last edited by Night Fury; 02-21-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Ultimecia
    STR - 60
    DEF - 80
    MAG - 120
    MAGD - 120
    SPD - 40

Seifer
    STR - 140
    DEF - 100
    MAG - 50
    MAGD - 50
    SPD - 40

Seifer is playing first, and he will be using his ability KNIGHT straight off the bat, he is going to slash his DEF stat in half to deal 50 damage to Ultimecia!

Seifer 200/200
    Ultimecia 150/200

Now that Seifer has only 50 DEF, Ultimecia will attack him there, causing 30HP damage!

Seifer 170/200
    Ultimecia 150/200

This turn, Seifer will select his boosted STR stat, crushing Ultimecia for 80HP damage!

Seifer 170/200
    Ultimecia 70/200

Ultimecia uses her ability TIME KOMPRESSION to undo the last move, her HP is restored and STR is frozen off.

Seifer 170/200
    Ultimecia 150/200

Seifer goes for SPD, and since the two match, no damage is dealt with only one stat left to be played.

Seifer 170/200
    Ultimecia 150/200

Ultimecia plays her strength, MAG, and deals a whopping 70HP damage.

Seifer 100/200
    Ultimecia 150/200

ULTIMECIA WINS!

So as you can see, an ability can really turn the tables in Thunderdome, while completely overpowered, Ultimecia's ability prevented her from getting hit by Seifer's massive STR stat damage, had she used it a move earlier, the battle could have gone a completely different way....

Are you still following? If there is anything you feel hasn't been answered, or anything you're struggling with, please ask! I hope I haven't missed anything vital, but I do understand that in it being my own game that I may have written it in a very jargony way!

Also, don't worry about Thunderdome. It won't look this dull and boring! We only want to keep stats to each team and a secret so as to protect them and to make it a bit more fun. Myself and Pheesh will be adjudicating the matches and will make sure there is no cheating, and that everything is legitimate. We completely 1000000000% encourage trout-talking and jibes between teams in Thunderdome as well! So don't feel you can't have fun with it, or dress up your posts - you absolutely can and we fully encourage it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Now that you guys have seen examples of how to play this game you should feel free to practice using your own stats and abilities in training battles against one another. You will not be able to level up or gain any items from doing this, but you will be able to see how the game works in practice, get a feel for your new character and dish out some trash talk!

Organising a Sparring Match

The steps to organising a friendly battle against a fellow villain are super simple.

1. Ask the person you wish to battle.

2. Once/If they accept then either one of you should make a thread inside your subforum

3. BATTLE!

Easy, right?!

Normally an official battle is adjudicated by either myself or Night Fury but for the purposes of friendly practice we wanted to let you guys get as many battles in as possible, which means you are allowed to moderate your own fights in the subforum. However if you would like either Night Fury or I to preside over it then let us know and if we're online we'll be more than happy to.

Obviously you can see your fellow villain's stat cards so it's not like the real thing, but it's all for good fun and practice.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

So we need to try to guess the heroes' strengths and weaknesses and then pick a match on our side that'd whoop 'em.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The game should be balanced enough that anyone can beat anyone else (we hope), depending on when or how they play their abilities/items, but there may be some favourable match ups. Also there are ways to get an edge, as who will go first in a match is determined by your performance in the daily challenges

Articles

So there's no point in planning match ups? Like Vivi is good with magic but a physical weakling, let's go get Sephiroth to pummmel him kind of thing? I mean, hey, we may as well get Sephiroth to pummel the weaklings anyway because it'd be funny, but ya know!

Articles
    Blog Entries

You won't always have a say in the match ups, but when you do you should definitely have a discussion about who you think would be the best person to send in to battle. So far I haven't seen a match up where one of the players couldn't beat the other though. My advice to you guys is make sure you stock up on as many items as possible and do as many practice battles to figure out the best strategy for your characters (every hero has already had at least one practice battle so far, so you guys are a little behind).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I blame the ones ones, honestly. I've been up here all day and I've only seen Bubba and Psy post

Articles

Does anyone wanna be my battle buddy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I blame the ones ones, honestly. I've been up here all day and I've only seen Bubba and Psy post
    Never fear! We're all worth 2 heroes each! ...and oh that's still not enough.

Looks like we're gonna have to cheat

...um

let's uh

i guess

order pizza to their forum they didn't deliver?

can we do that?

Articles

hello is this Ultimecia pizza? I would like to place an order to the Heroic Hangout under the name of Firion. Firion Buttsplash. Please deliver in the form of a thread and tell him it's Olives.

BUT REALLY

REALLY THE OLIVES ARE MY IIIIIIIIIIINK!

ULTROSBOOGIE.png

GWAAAAA-HAAAAAAAAAA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Uhhh.... the pizza has been delivered!

Articles

UUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

...actually I am kind of hungry and wish I had ordered pizza for myself. Uaaah.