Thread: Who here likes good old Vinyl?

Blog Entries

Default Who here likes good old Vinyl?

Today is my birthday and for my main present I got a new record player. So, I can once again play all the stuff I love from my Dad's extensive vinyl library. I also have a few of my own.

So anyone else here love vinyl?

Articles
    Blog Entries

In theory they are cool to look back on if you have a collection and they do have a unique characteristic when you play them back... but in practical terms they don't win out over the convenience of having every song you like on one device in your pocket, or being able to listen to a song on your headphones while playing a game on your computer and being able to balance the two exactly how you'd like.

Vinyl is like a nice novelty I guess.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah it's a cool novelty but you need a pretty boss record player to play all the cheaply made vinyl out there. Most of my records skip pretty bad, only the really good quality stuff plays well. One nice thing about vinyl is most new releases come with download codes so you don't always have to choose between having a nice solid record and a convenient file

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I love them. I don't have an ipod and I haven't put a single song on my phone, but I have a pretty big record collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I love them. I don't have an ipod and I haven't put a single song on my phone, but I have a pretty big record collection.
    Wow! There's others like me :-D

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Pft, it's all about cassettes these days. Get with the times!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Line 4. By 20.

It's never really been my thing to be honest, mostly for music though I just have YouTube on autoplay these days haha.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I have a few albums for the novelty, and would like a nice record player, but it's definitely not a priority.

I have a number of vinyl rips on my new player (a FiiO that can handle 24/96 rips) and in a number of cases I prefer the original vinyl masters to CD remasters (especially to newer remasters of old albums). I have Meddle by Pink Floyd for example and it sounds great - also all the Peter Gabriel Genesis albums and they're excellent too. I do have a new record player that can be connected to the PC via USB to make rips as well, though currently my collection is small because my family got rid of their collection over the years. I do have an original Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl which came with special posters and stickers back in the day, also Selling England by the Pound (though it has a few distorted parts) and ELP's debut album, plus a few Moody Blues and Jethro Tull's Aqualung.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I was recently gifted a record player, and hope to build a highly curated and small collection of my very favourite records. Listening to these records seems like a special occasion. My listening habits have changed a lot since I started listening to CDs and then MP3s and then YouTube videos; and I appreciate making time sometimes to listen to albums in full, and look at the cover art and liner notes - I enjoy the benefits of streaming and autoplay too, it's just a different experience.

Blog Entries

I'm a lover of Youtube myself, I just don't care for downloading music. Its vinyl or CDs I like. I'm pretty set in my ways on this kind of thing. I only need to be technologically up to date for work purposes.