Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Tetsuya Takahashi's Xeno franchises

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looking back on the Xeno games, I'm starting to wonder if the plot dealing with the High Entia and their desire to breed with human may have been a holdover from Xenogears, as I can totally see Kislev's issues with mutants may have developed into a similar situation. It just always seemed to me like Kaiser Sigmund knew more about what may have been going on than he let on. I also bet the Life Recycling Act from Saga may have shades of this as well.

I'm wondering if any unfinished plot points from one game made it into one of Takahashi's later titles?

I played Xenogears for the first time last month and I was blown away. The world and story that Takahashi crafted was amazing. It amazes me to think that could have been the game we got instead of Final Fantasy VII. I was impressed by Fei and Elly's relationship, probably one of the best romances in gaming. Also was incredibly surprised when they were flat out shown to have sex with no trying to sidestep around it.

I also absolutely loved Xenoblade, and greatly enjoyed Xenoblade X, though not quite as much as the first. I am very tempted to give Xenosaga a try now, as I can firmly say I am a fan of the series. (Though I hope the next game is as story heavy as at least Xenoblade, preferably Xenogears).

So I was thoroughly stunned when I found this
    http://www.insanedifficulty.com/boar...xeno-archives/

Been looking for hacks/mods of these games forever and never found a one. But this guy, the man responsible for the excellent FFVIII Requiem, modded Xenogears and the entire Xenosaga Trilogy.

Still have to get around to playing these, though. It was just a very pleasant surprise.

Xenogears was a game I happened to pick up while at the mall one day many years ago just because it looked fairly interesting. I had NO idea what I was getting myself in to. The game seemed to revel in throwing as much philosophy in to its storyline as possible and by the end got DARK. I wasn't a fan of how the second disk was literally crammed together but I understand there were budget, time and space limits so it is what it is. To this day, it remains the biggest pleasant surprise gaming experience of my life as I had absolutely no idea what it was about or anything else. Yes, the graphics haven't aged well, but it's still a classic of story telling. Stick with it, the game really is a joy to play.

Xenosaga I could just never get through. I finished the first game fairly quickly but the changes made to the second game just frustrated me to no end and eventually I just gave up which is very rare for me. Plus, the 20+ minute cut scenes ended up becoming a bother. I loved the storyline and the characters, but I wanted to PLAY the game, not WATCH it.

Finally you have Xenoblade. I could go on for days about this one but all I'll say is that it still ranks as one of my favorite games of all time. At any point, I could just pick this up and get sucked back in. The world itself is so wonderfully crafted, with so much history built in and while yes, it might feel a bit lighter in tone, it still has high stakes. It also has the element Xenosaga was missing: This is a game to PLAY. You explore every nook and cranny, gasp at how much detail has been put in to every area and best of all, this game took some of the biggest drawbacks of RPG's and turned them in to strengths.

To wit, there is a quick travel option, which makes tracking back a breeze. There are literally hundreds of quests and most of them DON'T require you to return to the quest giver. Simply fulfill the duty and the quest completes itself in your inventory. The short hand made it so much more fun to play and get lost in. This is the rare game where you WANT to waste time and wander around a while.

If I had to rank them:

Xenoblade
    Xenogears
    Xenosaga 1
    Xenosaga 2

Never played:
    Xenosaga 3
    XCX

Take care all.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

What's been interesting about replaying this game again is seeing how much they did actually foreshadow in this game. I haven't really touched the series since finishing Episode 3 nearly a decade ago, but my memory is not too shabby.