Thread: If you first played your favourite game today...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default If you first played your favourite game today...

Would it still be your favourite game? Is part of the reason it's your favourite due to nostalgia, or maybe just special memories attached to it? Or, if you picked it up and played it for the first time ever today, would it still be your favourite?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Preeeeetty sure it would be.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

i can tell you my 2nd and 3rd fav games definatly wouldnt be. but FF9?... hmm well i actually would say no. might still be my fav FF but maybe not of all time. but thats only because my 2nd fav game is very very close.

Xenogears still holds up last I played it.

As does Final Fantasy VII.

And I justplayed Mass Effect 2 for the first time last year so....

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My favourite game is FFVII and I'm honestly not sure it would be if I played it fresh now. It would still be up there as one of my favourites though. It's too steeped in nostalgia for me to be objective about it any more!

I keep wondering whether my son will like games when he gets older and what his favourite might be. Obviously he's gonna play some retro classics with his Dad and I'm sure he'll get quite nostalgic over those when he's older!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

This is a funny question for me because my two favorite games (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Morrowind) are both older games but I didn't actually seriously play them until about five years back.

So no, it's not nostalgia, those games genuinely are amazing and yes they would still be my favorites.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'm pretty sure it would be. Maybe the fact that I've now played games like The Last of Us which handle mature themes so well would mean that the more kid friendly Kingdom Hearts story wouldn't impact me as much if I played it today, but the story is still beautiful and sweet, and I don't find myself eye-rolling or feeling like I'm too old for it when I replay it. The combat is still great as well (despite the camera issues which always existed), so great in fact that I found the Duscae demo for FFXV underwhelming by comparison.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nostalgia and playing the game when it was still actually new and cutting edge probably does cloud my perception a bit to make my gave number 1, but I also feel the game was incredibly solid in it's build. I'm actually playing through it right now and I can honestly say the game still holds up in terms of solid design. It may not be as impressive to modern gamers due to lacking all the bells and whistles of modern gaming but I would argue it still holds up really well. It's not buggy or clunky in design and it still does crap that still surprises people who play it.

My number 2 would be the more interesting title to examine because the sequels have certainly changed things and I can see how going from the most recent entry to that entry would feel like a huge step behind in terms of usability and design.

It is extremely unlikely. Sonic 2 is both my first game AND my favorite game, and it has probably done more to define my gaming preferences than any other title. Without it, my early gaming experiences would have been radically different, more strongly defined by Wolfenstein and early 90s PC titles and less by console releases, which, knowing my current preferences, would have moved my tastes more along the strategy side of things than the platformer. I imagine, under those circumstances, I'd be fairly dismissive of Sonic 2 if I played it today.