Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I don't see how. Your character doesn't really have a personality except one you imagine in your head. You can't have them say anything or express themselves except by killing stuff. Like, my Dragonborn helped the poor werewolf instead of killing him because smurf Hircine and I killed Maro because I loved my DB family and wanted to avenge them. But you can't really express this in the game exactly.

It's more like tabletop roleplaying than console roleplaying. All make-believe.
    Exactly, and that's why it's AWESOME! I love inventing characters and then doing things like writing about them, inventing their stories and backstories completely from scratch. It's my favorite type of roleplaying

My girlfriend adores Bethesda games for the same reason. I try, and I get so far. I play certain characters certain ways for roleplay. Like none of my Bethesda game characters are masters of everything the way some people play. They all master certain routes depending on the personality and class I'm aiming for, but it only goes so far for me. But I still totally get it

And of course BioWare is our other favorite company where they give you agency, let you exclaim your intentions, and react accordingly. Less about mentally role playing and more about physically role playing and doesn't require as much imagination which limits the possibilities, but the bonus is you actually get to see the results and reactions

Our lives are pretty complete with both these companies ruling our game collection

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Final Fantasy actually. Even the early entries are generally more user-friendly and noob friendly than other RPGs of the time. Even Dragon Quest can be a bit too grindy and bad about explaining where you need to go next compared to FF.

Chrono Trigger is probably the perfect intro game to the genre as well.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Be brutal, get them to play Grinding Warrior Dragon Warrior.

All joking aside, I personally would suggest Breath of Fire III or IV, both are amazing games.

I generally lean towards Super Mario RPG, since Mario, Peach, and Bowser are recognizable characters, the game is fairly short and easy, the story is light hearted, and combat has slightly active quirks to it that keep it from being completely passive.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Super Mario RPG is actually a GREAT choice! I can never say no to it, of course.

Grimoire of the Sages ShunNakamura's Avatar

I would like to put Trails in the Sky on the table. Fairly easy game, unless you ratchet up difficulty in the options, that focuses on story and characters. The combat is kinda meh, but still interesting enough that it rarely become a chore for me. That said there are TONS UPON TONS of misables in the Trails games. Folks change up what they say pretty much after every story related options. Seriously I found myself backtracking all the way back to the start of each region just to talk to folks even when they didn't give you anything. Heck in the first game even the chests have unique dialogue if you look into them again after opening them.

Add in beautiful music and you got yourself one nice RPG that isn't exactly hard(unless you set it to be hard in the settings, and even then it isn't too bad, just a bit less forgiving of mistakes. Seriously don't get sneak attacked on hard or higher. You will get wrecked).

STILL Updating the anime list. . . I didn't think I was that much of an anime freak! I don't even want to consider updating the manga list!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Final Fantasy actually. Even the early entries are generally more user-friendly and noob friendly than other RPGs of the time. Even Dragon Quest can be a bit too grindy and bad about explaining where you need to go next compared to FF.

Chrono Trigger is probably the perfect intro game to the genre as well.
    Yes, fully agreed. Dragon Quest got me to hate RPG back in those days wheras FF...