For me, the Black Mage/Wizard has always played a critical role on the team.

Grinding: he makes this so much easier and each battle goes quicker. Take the "Peninsula of Power" (which I always thought was a little known secret, probably because I haven't read anything on this game since looking at the back of the box in 1990). There you can wipe out the Frost Wolves ( now "Winter Wolf") with ease, up to 9 of them with a spell. 4 Zombulls, Diara and Fira. Large hordes don't take forever to plug away at. Giants (Hill Gigas), after Blizaga their just a sword swing away from death. That's early on, later, the BM/BW wipes them out without even using MP (via use of Guantlets, Mages Staff, or Black Cloak).

Dungeon Delving: same applies here. Takes away the tedium of slowly plugin away at hordes. Their great for stat buffs, and I don't know who said they aren't "Boss Smashers", but with their spells they easily score close to what a Fighter/Knight does, sometimes more.

Vs Red Mage: IMHO, the Red Mage is "useless". If you aren't the best at any specific role, what's the point? Not as good as a Fighter. Can't use the best weapons and armor (minus the universal Masmune), doesn't do as much damage with the same weapon, so why not just have a Fighter/Knight? The fact that he is unable to make use of the best spells means that he can't fill the roles that the White and Black mages do. Jack of All Trades, yes, but Master of none. Nuke (now Flare) makes the Black Wizard as effective in battle as a Knight (generally), sometimes more so. Also, once you get your hands on the Guantlets, Mages Staff, and Black Cloak, the BM/BW can wipe out hordes without wasting MP (saving Nuke, I mean Flar, for the biggun's). Nobody else can use these items as effectively, similar to the WM/WW use of the Light Axe, or Healing Staff/Helm. There is no replacement for the Black Mage/Wizard. Also, if the Red Mage is "sooooo intriguing", then why didn't he reprise his role in IX. (Not even a question) *Drops Mic*.

My usual party has always been Fighterx2, WM, +BM. If not, I'd go with Fighter, Thief (for his evasion and to utilize the really cool Katana that is Ninja exclusive), WM, BM. I just played through again (iOS) with the former. The Fighters/Knights were named after my sons, WM (my daughter), and the BM was named "Beans" (Black Beans, a "staple" for my wife's country).