Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Would Love to See a Harry Potter RPG Like This

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Smash I Would Love to See a Harry Potter RPG Like This

I'm a Harry Potter fan. I was introduced to the series in the 3rd Grade and continued reading them ever since. Those books are a major influence in my writing and naturally with the impact they had on me I would like to see some new Harry Potter games and something that could set itself apart from the others is a Harry Potter RPG that's somewhere of a mix between the Persona series and Rockstar's Bully.

There was a couple Harry Potter RPGs for the Gameboy Color and Advance already, but nothing to this scale. The premise of the game could go one of two ways: It could be based in the Ministry of Magic and the player can take the role of an Auror catching dark wizards or you can play as a student in Hogwarts where the Persona and Bully influences come into play which is what I'll be focusing on. It should have an open world vibe to it like Bully, but with the social interaction and RPG elements of Persona.

Naturally I see the map being Hogwarts Castle and the grounds, The Forbidden Forest, and Hogsmeade. Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley would only be available before each school year starts. You'll be able to buy the supplies you need then, but you can buy them during the school year via owl, but they will cost more. The design is to get the player to plan for the upcoming event ahead of time. The premise would have the player solving a mystery around the school like the first three books. There would also be side activities such as Quidditch, a dueling club and other clubs for side activity.

Characters stat growth would be grown through dueling students and magical creatures, attending classes, and certain magical items. One of the most distinct things about Hogwarts is its housing system and upon starting the game you would choose your house. I was thinking it could be done in a similar fashion to Pottermore where its determined through a set of questions, but if I would do it, I would make it a lot better than Pottermore. It would ask more personal questions and you would also perform a few tasks and depending on how you solve them would factor into your house score. An alternative is just to have an option to choose your house directly. Whatever house you get into would determine the location of your save point in the game and has an affect on your starting stats and which characters you can recruit to your party, thus making the story a bit different each time. Being a Slytherin would differ from the other three almost completely. Winning the House Cup would grant you approval with others in your house and could get NPCs to do favors for you. Also, getting the House Cup seven years in a row would grant you a secret ending or perfect ending. Of course let's not forget customization. You can fully customize your main character's skin, gender, face, and the hair and the skin color options would be good and there will be plenty of afro textured hairstyles to choose from and they won't look like trout.

I wrote a lot more than I intended, but that's the gist of it. Would you like to see a Harry Potter game with this sort of premise? Who should develop this game if so?

TLDR; I basically want to see a big scale Harry Potter RPG that takes elements from both Bully and Persona.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I cannot put into words how much I want this.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This just has to happen.

If they made this an MMORPG or even just a "shared-world" environment like Destiny... they would make an absolute fortune.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    This just has to happen.

If they made this an MMORPG or even just a "shared-world" environment like Destiny... they would make an absolute fortune.
    Persistent world, I think is the term you're looking for.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    This just has to happen.

Persistent world, I think is the term you're looking for.
    Whatever man, just give me my game!

Blog Entries

They already made the greatest possible HP game, and it was The Philosopher's Stone for the PS1.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I cannot put into words how much I want this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

This would be an epic game!
    I'd play it for sure!

Persistent world is also a great concept because I love the illusion of "living" world in single-player games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Have you pitched this to a developer yet?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Glad to see so many like the idea. I spent time last night coming up with more ideas. Here is the list of which stats would differ depending on the house you choose:

Gryffindor - Starts with more HP and Charisma
    Ravenclaw - Starts with more Intelligence
    Slytherin - Starts with a higher Critical Hit Rate and the lowest Charisma
    Hufflepuff - Starts all around even

List of stats the game uses

HP
    MP
    Mag - Determines how much damage your spells do
    Def - Damage from physical attacks
    Mag Def - Damage from magical attacks
    Intelligence - Determines the difficulty level of classes
    Charisma - Determines how well you get along with NPCs. Charisma can get students and teachers to do favors for you. Interacting with NPCs increases this, also winning the House Cup.
    Evasion (Only if I go with a turn based system) - Determines chance of avoiding an attack.

I'm not exactly sure how I want classes, but for now I think I want mini games for them like in Bully. Classes will teach you spells and also increase your stats upon level up. All classes give you experience points. The amount of experience points increases by year, but the stat boosts remain constant in all seven years.

Charms
    Teaches mostly defensive spells. MP + 5 Mag Def + 3 Intelligence + 1

Defense Against the Dark Arts
    Teaches mostly offensive spells. Def + 1 Mag Def + 1 Mag + 2 Intelligence + 1

Potions
    Grants access to new potions. HP + 10 Intelligence + 1

Herbology
    Unlocks potion ingredients, plants that can be used for battle, and increases damage against plant-type enemies.
    Intelligence + 2

Transfiguration
    Teaches various types of spells. Required to become an Animagus. MP + 10 Mag + 3

Care for Magical Creatures
    Grants bestiary info, makes you deal extra damage against various monster types, and grants access to mounts like Thestrals and Hippogriffs. HP + 5 Def + 3

Divination
    Grants you ability to see upcoming events, prevents ambushes, and an ability that lets you see the enemy's next attack.

Arithmancy
    ??? Intelligence + 4

Ancient Runes
    Grants access to restricted section of library. Allows you to cast spells from ancient text on walls, similar to Dragon's Crown.
    Intelligence + 3
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 03-01-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

ugh stop posting you're making me want this game
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Indie game philosophy: Make the games you want to play that no one else is making

Edit - also, unfortunately, doesn't WB own the video game license rights? They're generally as bad as Activision..

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It's based on an IP, so it's not like I could make this without a cease and desist like how Square Enix has shut down fan games based on their IPs.

What's wrong with WB anyway?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Get Obsidian to make it and I'm sold. Have a Faction system. Don't have classes, just attributes, skills, and feats. Make your spell book limited. Have lots of multi-ending quests. Have skills not concerned with Magic a la Stealth, Persuasion, etc.

Someone on EoFF did a GBA Harry Potter let's play last year or so and it was hilarious. A Harry Potter RPG that is not hilariously awful would be incredible.