Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This Game Is Like FFXIII

Uh huh. And IX was hold down X while you have Auto Haste and Auto Regen on.

I wish it was automatic, would have spared my thumb.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Anyone arguing that IX (or pretty much any game where you can grind-to-win) is more difficult than XIII is absurd.

"Fake difficulty" is one of the silliest terms I've ever seen mentioned regarding gaming, especially when referring to a Final Fantasy game.

Having said all that, I don't agree that IX and XIV are very similar. They have similar aspects but I found the games markedly different.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never said it was difficult. I just don't get how people can consider XIII challenging when there is one specific way to play it because the game doesn't give you the freedom to do otherwise. How can you call it strategizing when you have one strategy made available to you?

It's literally buff>break>attack>heal, rinse and repeat. You don't even get to choose how to go about the nuances of it - the game does that for you!

And I'm sorry, but halting level progression just to obscure how basic and dumb the game is underneath all the fluff is very much fake difficulty. In its purest form.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I never said it was difficult. I just don't get how people can consider XIII challenging when there is one specific way to play it because the game doesn't give you the freedom to do otherwise. How can you call it strategizing when you have one strategy made available to you?

It's literally buff>break>attack>heal, rinse and repeat. You don't even get to choose how to go about the nuances of it - the game does that for you!

And I'm sorry, but halting level progression just to obscure how basic and dumb the game is underneath all the fluff is very much fake difficulty. In its purest form.
    Halting level progression is what stops it from, unlike other FF games, being a simple case of hold x, win game. Anyone who thinks that any of the non-MMO main numbered FF games are more difficult than FFXIII is being silly, because in the other games all you have to do is grind2win. I can understand people who criticise the series for having dumb/basic gameplay, but not the only game in the series that makes it more complicated than holding a single button while you browse the internet on your phone. In XIII, you react to the different attacks being thrown at you and the specific situations you are being faced with. In any other FF, you do nothing different other than "be overpowered, win." In a game where it is even vaguely turn based, the more strategy involved and the more limited the overpower-via-level-grind, the more difficult the game. There is more strategy involved in XIII than I-X or XII. It's as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't even get to worry about positioning, so it's all about what kind of attacks or defences you use at a certain time. In all the other games, it isn't really even about that, it's just about "what level are you?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    There is more strategy involved in XIII than I-X or XI. It's as simple as that.
    Sorry, man, you've totally lost me on this one As someone who almost fell asleep during this game because it was so mind-numbingly easy for me, I don't think there is any argument to be made here. We just have completely conflicting ideas on what makes a game a challenge and what means of overcoming a challenge are satisfying.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I found XIII to be very challenging and I liked the strategy involved with the paradigms. The paradigm is my favourite thing about the game and I would like to see it implemented in other games.

There are some similarities between the games, as there are with most RPG's. To me though IX executed it much better. Better story, world, characters. More side-quests, more freedom, more to explore and do. More going at your own pace, towns to visit. It was fairly limiting in a lot of terms but the way things were executed was, to me, just better

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

They probably make you fall asleep because you can't sit there holding X while you do something that actually keeps you awake. Seriously, name which FFs you think require more strategy than XIII. Let's stick to bosses - we already know you hold X to win against every single trash mob in every single FF.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFT requires more strategy

I agree that XIII's gameplay was more complex than a lot of the FF games, I find. As I was telling Karifean, I can play the others while holding down the attack button and doing homework. XIII I actually have to look up and do things

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Oh, yeah, sorry, I should have added spinoffs alongside the MMOs. xD If you want a true challenge in FF, MMOs are the way to go.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Read my previous post. xD Let me repeat (with clarification) the question...

Seriously, name which of the single player main series FF games you think require more strategy than XIII. Let's stick to bosses - we already know you hold X to win against every single trash mob in every single FF.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You did not ask me to name anything? I was just giving an example of a challenging spinoff, which you mentioned a post earlier, and I didn't say numbered FFs are challenging.

But okay, here we go.

Final Fantasy II: no traditional leveling system, you really had to plan what to develop as opposite stats actually decreased

Final Fantasy III: limited phoenix downs, job proficiencies, and super beefed up enemies with multiple turns meant you had to plan every move and grinding took forever, so not only was it difficult to overpower the bosses, but even if you were overleveled, you could easily get wiped in a turn or two

Final Fantasy IV: the DS version especially, many bosses have lethal counters and casting and recasting the slow spell on them and haste on you really made things difficult. There was also no means of casting those spells on a group without beating the game at least once and getting the omnicasting augment. Buffs were the most important thing in this game. Much more than levels. you could be level 99 and lose the final battle if you relied on press x to win

Final Fantasy XII: again, buffs and debuffs are incredibly important, and you had to really plan your gambits ahead if you wanted to utilize the party effectively. And you moved around on the map, so you can't tell me all you had to do to win here was press X. And don't get me started on gambits playing for you or just hacing everyone use attack and cure - over here, it's your choice to utilize both and you havre complete freedom to figure out your own strategies against anything. It's really so much more complex and strategic than XIII it's not even funny

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

Halting level progression is what stops it from, unlike other FF games, being a simple case of hold x, win game. Anyone who thinks that any of the non-MMO main numbered FF games are more difficult than FFXIII is being silly, because in the other games all you have to do is grind2win. I can understand people who criticise the series for having dumb/basic gameplay, but not the only game in the series that makes it more complicated than holding a single button while you browse the internet on your phone. In XIII, you react to the different attacks being thrown at you and the specific situations you are being faced with. In any other FF, you do nothing different other than "be overpowered, win." In a game where it is even vaguely turn based, the more strategy involved and the more limited the overpower-via-level-grind, the more difficult the game. There is more strategy involved in XIII than I-X or XI. It's as simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. You don't even get to worry about positioning, so it's all about what kind of attacks or defences you use at a certain time. In all the other games, it isn't really even about that, it's just about "what level are you?"
    more strategy than in ff11, ahahahahaha ahahaha haaa.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Final Fantasy II: no traditional leveling system, you really had to plan what to develop as opposite stats actually decreased
    Other than equipping different things, I pressed X to win. Or spammed a skill to win, on occasion. The end boss was a bitch, but once I went back to my save and levelled up a bunch, he got wrecked.

Final Fantasy III: limited phoenix downs, job proficiencies, and super beefed up enemies with multiple turns meant you had to plan every move and grinding took forever, so not only was it difficult to overpower the bosses, but even if you were overleveled, you could easily get wiped in a turn or two

Final Fantasy IV: the DS version especially, many bosses have lethal counters and casting and recasting the slow spell on them and haste on you really made things difficult. There was also no means of casting those spells on a group without beating the game at least once and getting the omnicasting augment. Buffs were the most important thing in this game. Much more than levels. you could be level 99 and lose the final battle if you relied on press x to win
    Admittedly I haven't played these in forever. But yeah, you can be max level in FFXIII and lose the final battle if you relied on press x to win, too. Super beefed up enemies are only super beefed up until you grind a weaker enemy long enough to be overpowered. "Grinding took forever" - so does FFXIII if you don't actually use your paradigms effectively.

Final Fantasy XII: again, buffs and debuffs are incredibly important, and you had to really plan your gambits ahead if you wanted to utilize the party effectively. And you moved around on the map, so you can't tell me all you had to do to win here was press X. And don't get me started on gambits playing for you or just hacing everyone use attack and cure - over here, it's your choice to utilize both and you havre complete freedom to figure out your own strategies against anything. It's really so much more complex and strategic than XIII it's not even funny
    I basically pressed X to win for damned near everything in FFXII. Whenever I struggled on a fight I knew it was simply a case of having to do more grinding. Overpower, overpower, overpower. Admittedly I had to pay attention during some boss fights but certainly no more than I had to pay attention to some boss fights in FFXIII.

I set up like 10 gambits for the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    more strategy than in ff11, ahahahahaha ahahaha haaa.
    Typo. xD Should have read XII, not XI. I'll fix. I've repeatedly said MMOs are where it is at for challenge in the main FF series.