Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Unpopular Games You Really Enjoy

Opposite of the other thread, what are some games a lot of people don't like that you actually really enjoy?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence.

The gameplay is frustrating because it feels like you should have some sort of level system like other Metroidvanias, but instead you arbitrarily gain new whip combos. Most areas have Tom and Jerry syndrome--repeating textures that ruin potentially interesting environments. The voice acting is bad, but not in a charming Symphony of the Night way. You have a plethora of elements to use with special weapons, but there is no need to use most of them at all.

That said, the soundtrack is awesome. It was composed by the same person who made Symphony of the Night's soundtrack. I say the LOI OST rivals SOTN's. Though I don't like how the character grows in terms of gameplay, the combat is fun even though it is repetitive. Though not nearly as expansive as the 2D Metroidvanias, the secrets are satisfying to find. They actually almost got a 3D Castlevania to work, and that's impressive. I love the character designs and artwork. Again, they got the same person that worked on SOTN to work on LOI. Absolutely stunning artwork. Besides doing a playthrough as a boss character, I basically did everything there was to do in the game, and that's very rare for me to bother with. Also, this game was meant to be one of the many origin stories of Castlevania and it was a HELL of a lot better as the other one that came out in 2010 or so.

Plus, the game reminds me of a pretty tough time in my life. Lots of things were going wrong, but when the game was new, it really helped me get out of a funk I was in.

Anyway, here are a couple of awesome tracks! Give the first one a chance to pick up. TOTAL CASTLEVANIA music, man. Love it! The second song would seem like it is out of place, but it's just a fun beat!

Metal Gear Solid 2, at least back in the day.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

I would say Heavy Rain but not sure. This is one of those super popular things that it's easy to forget is well beloved because there is such a venomous backlash against it on the Internet.

Final Fantasy II. Poor FF2, no one likes you.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter comes to mind. Also, Breath of Fire IV is much better than III in my eyes, even though the consensus seems to be completely the opposite. I also think Dragon Quest VI might be my favorite in the series yet, but it's so overlooked it's not even funny

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

it's preposterous how much i like re-playing front mission

and how much time i spent on mirror's edge

and i dunno is zoe2:2nd runner unpopular? but i loved it

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Also, SMT Strange Journey and IV. Not exactly unpopular but overshadowed by Nocturne, with IV particularly bashed for its plot and characters, even though I found them amazing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not unpopular per se except amongst the hardcore crowd but I can play Madden, NBA, and NHL games for hours.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter comes to mind. Also, Breath of Fire IV is much better than III in my eyes, even though the consensus seems to be completely the opposite. I also think Dragon Quest VI might be my favorite in the series yet, but it's so overlooked it's not even funny
    It's debatable among the BoF community whether III or IV is the best game in the franchise and they both rank as the top for most fans so I wouldn't really say IV is the underdog here. BoFII is probably more deserving of the "great but overshadowed by the others" card.

Dragon Quarter on the other hand is pretty well reviled or overlooked in the BoF community and has the distinction of being the series "franchise killer".

Suikoden IV is also the black sheep of the proper Suikoden titles with only Suikoden Tactics and the reboot entries being slightly more hated but I honestly enjoyed the game even if it was a step back from it's predecessors.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations and ACIII tend to either be overlooked or really hated by AC fans (until Unity at least) but I honestly enjoyed them both. In fact Revelations is easily my favorite entry in the franchise.

I actually enjoy Persona 1, despite what all the newbie fans say about it.

Mega Man X6, while not exactly the most hated entry (that would be X7) it's ranked pretty low on the list for being a rush job with a design set-up that I'm sure Dark Souls director was inspired by. The game is unfairly difficult but I honestly love it and it's actually one of my favorite entries in the X series behind X1 and X4.

With all this said, I probably wouldn't even rank most of these games on an actual list because they are all pretty popular franchises and the unpopular angle really only comes from within the fan community itself. I even removed an FF entry when I realized how ridiculous it was to say a game that most likely outsold most of the above titles is somehow "unpopular".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball for the SNES.

It was a god-awful top-down basketball game set in the future. It really was dire but I couldn't stop playing it until I had enough money to buy 5 Bill Laimbeers for my team.

Pic 1.jpg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, and Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories is probably my favorite in the series

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Mega Man X6, while not exactly the most hated entry (that would be X7) it's ranked pretty low on the list for being a rush job with a design set-up that I'm sure Dark Souls director was inspired by. The game is unfairly difficult but I honestly love it and it's actually one of my favorite entries in the X series behind X1 and X4.
    This. I love X6, but people reeeeeeally dislike that title. ._ .

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm in to a lot of girly cutesy anime games that many people don't like. Hyperdimension, Omega Quintet, Fairy Fencer, Agarest War. All of those Compile Heart games people hate. Soul Calibur III is my favourite of the bunch. I like Suikoden IV, Final Fantasy XIII and Xenosaga II. They are some of the worst of their series, but they're still very solid, good games and some people think they're a plague or something. Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

The fanbase does seem divided for Breath of Fire between III and IV, which is why both of them made my to play list :P I guess we'll see how much I like them!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's interesting, because really, from my experience, I've encountered a disproportionately larger amount of people praising III over IV

Sonic R

I just love the cheesy late 90's soundtrack and running around with goofy, clumsy Sonic characters. It's a terrible game, not going to deny that, but it has it's charm. Most people hate it and can understand completely on that though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    That's interesting, because really, from my experience, I've encountered a disproportionately larger amount of people praising III over IV
    Well IV didn't exactly do much new with what BoFIII introduced, and frankly it kind of broke most of the returning elements from III in terms of balance. I digress though, saying BoFIV is underrated because of BoFIII within the BoF community would be like me saying FFVI is underrated in comparison to VII. Yes, it's a true statement but your basically whining that numbering 2 among the fandom is not number 1. Check out the BoF Wikia community sometime, as BoFIII and IV are mostly completed whereas most of the stuff concerning Dragon Quarter had to be done by me and it's still not finished because I'm literally the only member of the community who has played it, let alone finished it.