Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I dunno man, the trailer isn't always gonna be how the film is.

That Godzilla trailer was smurfing awesome but the film was an absolute crock of trout.
    Yeah, but the good trailer got us in to see that piece of trout in the cinema. This trailer has had the reverse effect on me. The film could be great but now barring good reviews from people who I trust or a funnier trailer I don't think I'd want to fork out the money to see it in a cinema.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

There are actually two trailers. Don't know if others have seen the second one.

a few different scenes.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I think that calling it cringe-worthy and unfunny is even a stretch. How much of the script have we seen, really? A minute and a half of talk time? Is that enough to judge how funny a movie is or is not? I think that if you were in a theater for a preview and saw Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd pull that scene where Melissa McCarthy catches Kate McKinnon behind the shelf and she goes, "Is it the hat? Is the hat too much?" that it would be hilarious and that fans would love it. If you really and truly don't think that's funny, that's your prerogative and of course you are entitled for it, but that was an objectively funny scene. And if someone chooses to not like it because it doesn't have their favorite dudes saying the lines, well, that is problematic.

I do firmly believe that this film would be embraced open-armed if there were funny men in the roles in place of the funny women who are currently cast. I say that because we've seen mediocre garbage like Horrible Bosses or Dinner for Schmucks that is received as being fairly funny, but if women were cast in place of those roles, I believe that they would receive much lower ratings. Instead they are tolerated and even celebrated as being funny because of the men who star in them, even though the scripts and jokes are not that good, whereas films that star funny women like this are shredded apart if they don't have 10/10 five-star jokes across the board.

The fact is that the actresses, the director, the entire crew took a gamble on this film and making these changes, and I think that it's being criticized much worse than it needs to be. It doesn't look atrocious or cringe-worthy to me. It doesn't look like the best movie of 2016, but does look fine.

I understand that a lot of this resistance is riding on childhood expectations being messed with, but within the realm of encouraging an open mind, if you like the actresses and think seeing a squad of funny ladies hunt down ghosts to save New York sounds like a good time, then I would encourage you to see it. If you compare it to the good time Murray and Akroyd had decades in the past, then you'll have a bad time of it.
    I would agree that the hat line was the best in the trailer and I wouldn't call it unfunny or cringeworthy, but to use the Murray/Akroyd example it wouldn't have made my top 10 lines in the original either. We'll never know either way though.

Let us consider how much time that got in the trailer compared to the "AWW HELL NAW, THE DEVIL IS ALAYVVV!", "GET OUT OF MY FRIEND, GHOST!" and "THE POWAH OF PAIN COMPELS YOU!" sequence. It played very much on the overused angry black woman shouting animatedly cliché which has been used in dozens of other movies. I got the impression it was crowbarred in in an effort to tick a box and appeal to certain demographics, and it wasn't even a particularly good example of that type of humour to boot.

I've seen the trailers for those two movies and I've never watched them because they didn't look funny to me either. I said earlier in the thread that I don't find the overwhelming majority of modern Hollywood comedies to be funny and that I appreciate I'm the weird one for it. I'm not disagreeing that some people have their views distorted by gender, but I will always object if someone tells me my choices are either find this funny or be a sexist.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I think that calling it cringe-worthy and unfunny is even a stretch. How much of the script have we seen, really? A minute and a half of talk time? Is that enough to judge how funny a movie is or is not? I think that if you were in a theater for a preview and saw Bill Murray and Dan Akroyd pull that scene where Melissa McCarthy catches Kate McKinnon behind the shelf and she goes, "Is it the hat? Is the hat too much?" that it would be hilarious and that fans would love it. If you really and truly don't think that's funny, that's your prerogative and of course you are entitled for it, but that was an objectively funny scene. And if someone chooses to not like it because it doesn't have their favorite dudes saying the lines, well, that is problematic.

I do firmly believe that this film would be embraced open-armed if there were funny men in the roles in place of the funny women who are currently cast. I say that because we've seen mediocre garbage like Horrible Bosses or Dinner for Schmucks that is received as being fairly funny, but if women were cast in place of those roles, I believe that they would receive much lower ratings. Instead they are tolerated and even celebrated as being funny because of the men who star in them, even though the scripts and jokes are not that good, whereas films that star funny women like this are shredded apart if they don't have 10/10 five-star jokes across the board.

The fact is that the actresses, the director, the entire crew took a gamble on this film and making these changes, and I think that it's being criticized much worse than it needs to be. It doesn't look atrocious or cringe-worthy to me. It doesn't look like the best movie of 2016, but does look fine.

I understand that a lot of this resistance is riding on childhood expectations being messed with, but within the realm of encouraging an open mind, if you like the actresses and think seeing a squad of funny ladies hunt down ghosts to save New York sounds like a good time, then I would encourage you to see it. If you compare it to the good time Murray and Akroyd had decades in the past, then you'll have a bad time of it.
    I would agree that the hat line was the best in the trailer and I wouldn't call it unfunny or cringeworthy, but to use the Murray/Akroyd example it wouldn't have made my top 10 lines in the original either. We'll never know either way though.

Let us consider how much time that got in the trailer compared to the "AWW HELL NAW, THE DEVIL IS ALAYVVV!", "GET OUT OF MY FRIEND, GHOST!" and "THE POWAH OF PAIN COMPELS YOU!" sequence. It played very much on the overused angry black woman shouting animatedly cliché which has been used in dozens of other movies. I got the impression it was crowbarred in in an effort to tick a box and appeal to certain demographics, and it wasn't even a particularly good example of that type of humour to boot.

I've seen the trailers for those two movies and I've never watched them because they didn't look funny to me either. I said earlier in the thread that I don't find the overwhelming majority of modern Hollywood comedies to be funny and that I appreciate I'm the weird one for it. I'm not disagreeing that some people have their views distorted by gender, but I will always object if someone tells me my choices are either find this funny or be a sexist.
    You are right about the power of pain scene; it was the weakest and most unfunny of the trailer. However, it seems to me that it was clearly showcased in the trailer as a dissected effort of a marketing team, which shows how poor a job they did, really, which is why I overall don't really like watching trailers in the first place. They are based on the vision of a marketing team, not the director of the film. As an example, the two different Suicide Squad trailers that we have out are outrageously different - one is somber, serious and dramatic, and the other makes it look like it's a ragtag bunch of villains tripping over each other in a comedy. One put me off entirely, another made me want to see it. I have very confused feelings about that movie, which is further proof as to why I don't think trailers are accurate reflections of films and why I don't necessarily like watching them. I watched this one about GB to see what all the fuss was about and came to the conclusion that it has been sufficiently overblown by the internet.

As for my first post, it wasn't necessarily a commentary on anyone specifically here on the forum, it was more speaking to the overall criticism of the film I have seen on the internet, which is indeed overwhelmingly misogynistic. My post also wasn't meant as a ransom to find it funny or you'll get labeled as a sexist, more to encourage reflection on whatever resistance someone might have to this film and hope that it isn't just because ladies star in it.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To me the tone just comes off wrong. Like the original was a mix of sarcasm and serious, where this already comes off as another movie where everything has to be goofy constantly like a loose collection of gags instead of a coherent narrative that happens to have funny bits. Also the fact that they feel the need to tell you that two of them are the best in their field instead of just letting the movie show you bothers me, like the audience is either too dumb to just understand they're smart or the fact that they're women so they have to be the best.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I think the movie looks fantastic. I have every intention of seeing it in a theater, even if I have to go alone.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It looks like it's going to be a complete piece of trout.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I don't really mind if it's as good as people hope it might be, or as bad as people think it will be. If it's good, I'll probably enjoy it. But if it's REALLY bad, I'll almost certainly enjoy it. I really like bad comedy films. By "bad" I'm talking tacky, crass, plots which make no sense, hammy acting. Think the Scary Movie franchise. Or Horrible Bosses 2. So, to be honest I'm almost hoping it's awful. Bad comedy films are so much more fun to watch.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It's another trailer. Still doesn't look great, but then as some have said, many blockbuster trailers aren't great anyway. I guess we'll see, and I'm sure the internet is already bickering about this one:

http://www.avclub.com/article/slimer...new-gho-236954
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Way to spit on the grave of Harold Ramis.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Really?

This film is its own thing. With genuinely funny people taking part in it. Also, all the living OG Ghostbuster cast members are making cameos. if that's not a sign of their blessing, i don't know what it. Let's give the movie a chance, please?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

A bit much, don't you think?

Plus Harold Ramis made Analyze That, Bedazzled and Year One, he was hardly perfect.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post

Plus Harold Ramis made Analyze That, Bedazzled and Year One, he was hardly perfect.
    I actually laughed at Bedazzled. It was better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post

I actually laughed at Bedazzled. It was better than I expected.
    Yes, to be fair I also very much enjoyed it. Not sure whether that's because it's any good, or because it's so bad it's good.

I actually think this Ghostbusters film could be good. I usually find Melissa McCarthy very funny.

I thought the dynamic betwen Brendan Fraser and Liz Hurley was great in that movie.