Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I liked Bedazzled quite a bit too.

And yeah. I really don't think we'll get an unfunny movie with McCarthy, McKinnon, Wiig and Jones as the main cast. I've expressed my love for them many times in this thread already but it can't be overstated

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I liked Bedazzled quite a bit too.

And yeah. I really don't think we'll get an unfunny movie with McCarthy, McKinnon, Wiig and Jones as the main cast. I've expressed my love for them many times in this thread already but it can't be overstated
    Is this their usual style of humour?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Man, I'm sick of the hoo-hah around this film. I won't be going to the cinema to watch it as both trailers look terrible. I do like the main cast but the style is all wrong for me. Plus, why do the special effects look so bad?

I feel bad for James Rolfe and all the unjustified flak he's got for saying that he won't be reviewing the film.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I usually find Melissa McCarthy very funny.
    God you are wrong about a lot of things but this is probably the most wrong you have ever been.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I feel bad for James Rolfe and all the unjustified flak he's got for saying that he won't be reviewing the film.
    I dunno man, why did he make that video at all? Has he reviewed all of the other reboots of popular 80s things? (Note: He might have, I don't keep up with him, just the general gist I got that this is not his thing to do) I just don't know why he made a big deal about the fact he wasn't doing it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    I dunno man, why did he make that video at all? Has he reviewed all of the other reboots of popular 80s things? (Note: He might have, I don't keep up with him, just the general gist I got that this is not his thing to do) I just don't know why he made a big deal about the fact he wasn't doing it.
    It still doesn't justify him being accused of misogyny when there was nothing in the video that criticised an all-female cast. His reasons for not reviewing the film were very clear.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

He actually has reviewed a lot of the reboots and sequels as of late. I haven't seen the flak he's gotten, but I knew he was going to get a lot of flak when I saw him post the video.

None of the trailers have really grabbed me, but I honestly never was a huge fan of ghostbusters. If I have people that want me to see it, I'll see it. Otherwise, I want to wait to see what people have to say about the movie since the trailers didn't sway me towards seeing it.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I saw the first of the Transformers and that was enough. I haven't even bothered with the new TMNT movies. I still feel like I can say that in my opinion they would all be bad.

I watched the first new Star Trek movie and it was solid. The next one was......fair, but was starting to lose too much classic Star Trek feel. At this point, I'm pretty certain I'm not going to bother with the third one in theaters. I'm pretty sure it will be bad. The trailers just aren't doing it for me.

It may not be fair to say that until after I see them, but I know my tastes and I know how to read into trailers and previews enough that I usually know the quality of what I'm going to see before I see it.

I'm going to give the new Ghostbusters a chance in someway, but I'm not particularly hopeful right now because of the vibe it is giving me. I really doubt I'll spend the money to see it in theaters. I'll probably wait until later. It has little to do with the cast either. In fact, if this was the case;

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty
    If Andy Samberg, Jason Sudeikis, Will Forte and Jay Pharaoh were in this cast and said the exact same lines, word for word, and had the exact same shots, shot for shot, this film would be celebrated as smurf and the internet would be running to see it; there would be zero mention of "it just doesn't have that ORIGINAL GHOSTBUSTERS MAGIC [jerkoff motion]".
    then I would be less interested in the movie personally. It's true that there are not a lot of all female comedy casts in movies and if they did it right, that extra piece could really make this movie unique, fresh, and different. Sadly, right now it just feels stale in the trailers.

We can't expect the high-caliber level of Fury Road in all of the reboots or sequels that come up. We got lucky with that one. Anyone who was expecting this Ghostbusters to be better than the original fooled themselves into disappointment.
    I find this statement depressing. Of course I can expect it to be the same high-caliber level. It should be the same high-caliber level, and if you're going to touch something like the Ghostbusters franchise then, IMO, in damn well better be a fantastic remake or you had no business touching it.

There's a reason they want to reboot these classic franchises. Because they were damn good, and people remember that. Giving producers and directors the wiggle room of "well, you can't expect all remakes to be as good as the original" is a major part of the problem, regardless of what set of genitals the actors have. I acknowledge that there are plenty of remakes that are crap, and that has lowered my expectations of how good other remakes will be, but that doesn't mean I just accept it. I shouldn't have to. It means that if I have good reason (my judgement from trailers and teasers) to believe the movie is a poor imitation of the original, then I'm specifically not going to see it in theaters, because I'm specifically not going to give them my money to encourage them into thinking crap remakes are an easy cash cow. If they want my business they can either do a good reboot/remake or they can try some original properties and ideas instead of beating a dead horse.

It's getting shredded because people have the highest expectations for females participating in any art form and if we are less than stellar, we get nodded off as trout; whereas men can be a part of a mediocre performance and get recognized as being hilarious.

It's disappointing to see the negative reactions to this film in 2016. Go see it and contribute to the box office so we can have more of a chance of diverse films in the future.
    I do agree there's a lot of heavy expectations put on minorities to perform above expectations just to get an equal amount of credit, and I also agree that it's bulltrout. It's not fair at all.

However, as I said above, I'm really doubtful that I'm going to see Ghostbusters in the theaters just to support diversity. Right now, I feel I'd also be supporting mediocrity. That's sad because I like supporting new, fresh ideas and seeing things get a cool twist.

It's the job of the trailer to convince me to spend my money, and it simply hasn't done that. I mentioned several other reboot franchises that have similarly been written off by me.

Sometimes you simply can't recapture the magic of the original and that's okay too. Take those funny ladies, take their talent, and let them create their own legacy with a new, fresh idea. If it looks good, if it looks clever, they'll get my ticket money on opening day, no questions asked.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

It still doesn't justify him being accused of misogyny when there was nothing in the video that criticised an all-female cast. His reasons for not reviewing the film were very clear.
    Oh absolutely, he shouldn't be insulted in such a way given what he actually said. I would never advocate such things.

I still feel like he was just grasping for views though, given the controversial subject, and that the video was entirely unnecessary. But that's just me. :3 I am aware that people can do whatever they heck they want, I just don't get the 6 minute soapbox about something that could have been a footnote.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh absolutely, he shouldn't be insulted in such a way given what he actually said. I would never advocate such things.

I still feel like he was just grasping for views though, given the controversial subject, and that the video was entirely unnecessary. But that's just me. :3 I am aware that people can do whatever they heck they want, I just don't get the 6 minute soapbox about something that could have been a footnote.
    I can agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if he did this because he's gotten a lot of emails or whatever asking about the new ghostbusters, but it really could have been a footnote to the video of the cancelled ghostbusters 3 video he did afterwards, which I think is what he really wanted to talk about. All of his review videos for these reboot movies have been a big long winded though so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he had it split into 2 videos. He just had enough footage to do it and probably figured he could get more views by doing it this way.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Obviously I don't know the guy personally, but James Rolfe doesn't strike me as a sexist person or whatever. I honestly think he was simply addressing the situation because people were asking him about it since he has had many videos talking about how much he was into Ghostbusters.

It's really a shame that people react this way to people disliking the trailer, though. Sure, people who say they won't see it because of [sexist reasons] are being assholes, but it is ludicrous and outright unfair to label someone as a woman hater because they simply stated, "Nah, doesn't look interesting."

Blog Entries

First one sucked, second one will suck. People have nostalgia complexes.

Make a new movie!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    I usually find Melissa McCarthy very funny.
    God you are wrong about a lot of things but this is probably the most wrong you have ever been.
    Hey now, he's only wrong about about half ​of things.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post

Make a new movie!
    They already made a second one.

...wait, you think Ghostbusters sucks? What is this madness?!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post

Make a new movie!
    They already made a second one.

...wait, you think Ghostbusters sucks? What is this madness?!
    Whichever. They all suck. Remake. Cartoon. The humor is dumb.