Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ghostbusters

It doesn't look great. Seems overplayed? As if the script wasn't very good so they just decided to try to make up for it with OTT performances.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I'll pass. I don't find Melissa McCarthy at all funny.

It . . . looks okay? I'll see it, but I don't expect to be blown away or anything.

If there's something strange in your neighborhood
    Who you gonna call?
    Ghostbusters!

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I am mostly concerned about this movie because it is a modern remake of a classic and those tend to be terrible, and the trailer did nothing to change my default opinion. I actually hope it's good because I don't want to give the sexist trolls more ammunition or reason to gloat, but I remain skeptical.

Echoing Raistlin's sentiment here. I wanted nothing more than for this film to be absolutely hilarious and amazing so all the sexist naysayers would be left with egg on their dumb faces.

But holy trout does this look awful.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Trailer didn't do much for me. This is one of those movies I might go to if a few people in my crew are up to seeing a movie on a boring weekend. More than most likely I'll end up seeing it when it comes on video.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

It's only a trailer, but I think I figured out part of what it's missing, and why I'm worried.

The original had a unique combination of deadpan comedy, some juvenile sight gags, and ridiculous ghosts combined with traditional sci-fi and some actually creepy ghost designs and horror aspects.

So right now the trailer is just giving me slapstick comedy, the (starting to get tiresome and overused) awkward situation comedy trope, and ghosts that look like neon lights.

Maybe they'll have more to it on release, and the trailer isn't showing it, but I'm skeptical.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Comedy trailers always go for lowest common denominator (which means lots of slapstick gags etc), whether or not the actual film is like that. Which is why I haven't adjusted my expectations either way after seeing this.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

i think it'll be pretty funny on its own terms
    i dont ever really understand why people think reboots should be even at all similar to the original work
    it's like DMC like jeez louise get over dante's hair guys

if you're expecting 80's style deadpan comedy with bill murray you're probably gonna be disappointed no matter what, but luckily you can still rent the original ghostbusters on vhs from your local blockbusters

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    i dont ever really understand why people think reboots should be even at all similar to the original work
    Then why not make a new franchise altogether? You've got these four talented actresses signed on, make them pirates or lawyers or, dare I say, paranormal investigators. But of course, the answer to that is because using an established and loved name means more money. You want to ride on the coat tails of something like that, that's your choice, but if you're putting yourself in the same series you've got to expect comparison to the original as a result. If you want to avoid it, it's very easily done. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Reboots like Star Trek and Fury Road were good because they took the spirit of the originals, dragged them into the 21st Century and were good sci-fi/action movies in their own right. With or without the Ghostbusters name, this just looks like a hack job tbh.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Judging by one trailer. It's really hard to see what it will turn out to be. I honestly can't wait to see it because I loved the original Ghostbusters and I adore these four new lead actresses, so I just wanna wait and see. Like someone else said before, trailers always cater to the lowest common denominator. We'll see if the spirit is there when we see it.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    Then why not make a new franchise altogether? You've got these four talented actresses signed on, make them pirates or lawyers or, dare I say, paranormal investigators. But of course, the answer to that is because using an established and loved name means more money. You want to ride on the coat tails of something like that, that's your choice, but if you're putting yourself in the same series you've got to expect comparison to the original as a result. If you want to avoid it, it's very easily done. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Reboots like Star Trek and Fury Road were good because they took the spirit of the originals, dragged them into the 21st Century and were good sci-fi/action movies in their own right. With or without the Ghostbusters name, this just looks like a hack job tbh.
    if you did that though you'd be left with an internet that said "so ok... it's ghostbusters...with girls...and dubstep... but it's called ghostbreasters... no stealing there LOL k brb gotta post on youtube"

it may very well be a hack job once it's out yea
    but i dunno why it can't be a hack job on it's own terms
    i think in general we keep weighing things against the past too much
    like final fantasies you know you guys
    like 'is ffxx as good as ffx?'
    that depends on what's important to you and how you perceive the message in the media

ghostbusters scared the crap out of me because i was a child, but that just won't happen now to me. looks not worse than 'let's be cops' and maybe fun to me from 1 trailer but i mean i'm not gonna try watching it expecting a life changing experience. but it might be really special to some kids these days tho who knows.

and i mean, ok, you can compare things to their originals, but i wouldn't even say mad max kept the same stylistic choices as old mad max movies. star trek certainly didn't either. i'd wager the spirit of a thing is a very personal thing and probably different for different people

in summary

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That was a pretty disappointing trailer to be honest. I really hate the "this is awkward therefore it's funny" thing and the CGI looked pretty bad. The black woman being a living stereotype was like trout icing on the crap cake.