Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton the Musical aka The Best Thing to Exist, Ever.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Hamilton the Musical aka The Best Thing to Exist, Ever.

I don't see a thread on this masterpiece and I feel like it's imperative for everyone to know about Hamilton the Musical.

For months now I've been absolutely obsessed with this hip hop musical. It's a work of pure complete genius. I'm convinced that this will go down as one of the best Broadway musicals of all time.

It tells the story of Alexander Hamilton and other founding fathers through a mix of rap, hip-hop, r&b and also with a cast comprised almost entirely by people of color. It is phenomenal.

It has pretty much universal acclaim. The New York Times said, "I am loath to tell people to mortgage their houses and lease their children to acquire tickets to a hit Broadway show. But Hamilton, directed by Thomas Kail and starring Mr. Miranda, might just about be worth it."

I've been listening to the cast album non-stop (NON-STOP!) and every. single. time. I listen to it, it moves me completely and totally. So have at it friends. Enjoy!

FULL CAST ALBUM

Last edited by Miriel; 03-09-2016 at 07:37 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

A colleague of mine recommended this soundtrack a few months back. It is indeed great! Good primer on that period of US history too.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Blog Entries

I first heard about it when it premiered and NPR talked about it. The Broadway Channel on PlutoTV had a profile on some of the main actors and I watched it on my sick day earlier this week.
    It sounds amazing and I can't wait for it to tour!!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think this is the thing I've been seeing so many gifs from on tumblr recently

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This is indeed awesome. I love all King George's songs. Too bad it's way over on another coast! They need to come to SF.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I think this is the thing I've been seeing so many gifs from on tumblr recently
    Hahaha oh man, it has completely taken over tumblr. I don't mind because I've always been a history nerd.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ITT: 16 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I don't see a thread on this masterpiece and I feel like it's imperative for everyone to know about Hamilton the Musical.

For months now I've been absolutely obsessed with this hip hop musical. It's a work of pure complete genius. I'm convinced that this will go down as one of the best Broadway musicals of all time.

It tells the story of Alexander Hamilton and other founding fathers through a mix of rap, hip-hop, r&b
    Cool, interesting take on the subject, I'll be glad to look into it.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 03-11-2016 at 05:22 AM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

I don't actually care about the skin color of performers, I care about the quality of the performance. I care about the entertainment value. I care about the historical accuracy. I care about the quality of the songs.

You just care about skin color.

If I see any more "mostly black" performances, I'll be sure to let you know, since that's apparently half of what you look for in a show.
    Quit being so racist, racist. And don't send me any more racism fueled private messages.

Claiming to be colorblind and not see race is such classic racist bulltrout that it's cliche.

For anyone else actually interested about the groundbreaking diversity of Hamilton, here's a great write up from Hypable.

Most relevant bit:

As a woman of color, regardless of my own abilities, I would never have had a place in “the room where it happens.” I’m forced to recognize that our American history is fraught with both pride and terror. And that just as these men fought for their freedom, they also denied the most basic rights to others. In other words: as much as I identify with the Founding Fathers, they didn’t know that they were fighting for me.

But history belongs to those who write it, and with the hit Broadway show Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda is rewriting the Founding Father narrative to purposefully reflect the kind of country we live in today. Choosing to cast the founders of our country as people of color may not be “historically” accurate, but it is culturally accurate as a reflection of a 21st century nation built by immigrants. Lin-Manuel Miranda’s version of history suddenly becomes an inclusive one, inviting every American to see his or herself reflected in the story of the Founding Fathers.
    Anyone who claims that the amazingly diverse cast has no bearing on the show knows jack trout about the show or what it's about. And as a minority, smurf yeah, I love seeing diversity in media and it is a big deal. And as the daughter of immigrants, this show strikes a cord with me personally and also taps into a very specific moment in our culture and politics right now. There is a reason why the line, "Immigrants, we get the job done." gets the BIGGEST applause in the entire show, to the point where they had to write in extra music to account for the thunderous applause.

If you're the kind of person who shakes your head in disgust at the mere mention of something celebrating diversity because recognizing race is somehow racist in itself, then I assume you're also the kind of person who asks such ridiculous questions like, "Why do black people get a history month." To which I say, BYE FELICIA.
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-11-2016 at 05:14 AM.

That was, on the whole a much better way of putting everything. And far less hostile than your PM response to the inquiry. Thank you. And thank you for pointing out how the casting actually relates to the telling of the story and the musical.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Casting the all-white Founding Fathers with people of color in a major Broadway musical that also includes several rap battles is indeed noteworthy.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hamilton performed at the White House this week!!

You can see the President's intro and the two songs they recorded here: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...use_video.html

Michelle Obama also gave a gushing intro:

"It was simply, the best piece of art in ANY form that I have ever seen in my life."

YES, Michelle. PREACH.

Cause I mean seriously guys, what other performance other than this genius work of art could get away with being in the white house and rapping about sex with horses??? I can't believe that just happened. xD
    Last edited by Miriel; 03-16-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'm rezzing the thread because I'm a mod and can do that

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    non-stop (NON-STOP!)
    this is one of my top five songs on the album

#1 FAVE: Wait For It

Tied for #2: My Shot, Non-Stop, Yorktown, You'll Be Back

anyways, happy Fourth of July yo:

happy fourth of july.PNG

http://www.billboard.com/charts/rap-albums

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It's coming to London in late 2017, which should be good.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I got around to listening to this today.

Just wow. It's all been said about how this is absolute genius. I don't know when I will ever get the pleasure to see this on the stage. I hope I do. I think I'll cry, this soundtrack is moving and really grabs your attention.

Lafayette ftw

I like all the songs, but I think Satisfied stands out, and History Has it's Eyes on You.