Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Ball Super!

Do You Like Waffles? DarkBahamut's Avatar

Default Dragon Ball Super!

Come on guys. Please tell me Dragonball hasn't died in this forum. I haven't posted in ages, maybe since 2014, but I had to see if people are following the show and enjoying it as much as I have. The animation has been very poor at times, but I think they will be reanimating parts when the English dub releases.

Any insight and opinions on what's going to happen?

No time for "Dilly-Dallying" or "Shilly-Shallying."
    Props go to the one and only, Proxy, for the signature.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Where the heck is Gohan is my only question at this stage.

Also they ruined Videl.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Didn't realize it had started. I'll need to check it out.

I have been watchin it since it started and am also up to date when it comes to Toyble/Toyotaro's manga.

While in my opinion it has its good moments it is also full of disappointing moments.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I watched the first two episodes when there was only like 3 out and then stopped cause i'm waiting on more to come out so I don't have to wait. The animation was bad in some parts.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

How did they ruin Videl D:

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

She's just... become a housewife who sits at home and does nothing. Not that being a housewife is inherently a bad thing, but it is just a massive departure from the character she was in DBZ. Like she was a cool chick who stood up for herself and all that, but... that seems to be gone. She's just lost all that sass she had.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well that's a shame

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ugh, that is a shame. Mind you, GT didn't do much better with a lot of characters back in the day. Pretty much anyone not named Goku became mostly useless for anything other than waiting for Goku to come save the day. I would have liked to see Videl actually continue training with Gohan and end up at least on the level of someone like Krillin or Tien. I felt kind of bad for her in DBZ when she thinks her and her dad are so strong and then she realizes neither of them can do anything against Buu.Here you had a nice, strong, female character, but in a world of aliens and super Sayans it basically just shut her down.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I dunno. At the end of Z, she and Gohan were off doing Great Saiyaman and Great Saiyawoman things because that was the kind of people they were, and going from that to a quiet, happy homemaker... I just can't fit the pieces together.

And DBZ isn't that much better for people just hanging around waiting for Goku. Matt and I are watching it just now, and it has been pretty much entirely the Z fighters feeling useless and shouting for Goku to hurry up.

Eh. I'm enjoying Super enough. It's the same dumb nonsense you'd expect from Dragonball. Just some things are a bit... meh.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, DBZ isn't much better for waiting around for Goku to save the day aside from the Cell saga, but at least there were other characters capable of holding their own in a fight for a while. And even some points where Goku wasn't the strongest guy ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    How did they ruin Videl D:
    Not at all. In the final chapters she and Gohan were just a happy, ordinarily married couple. In the manga they do not even fight crime together as super hero team (as a matter of fact only the few crime fighting moments while she was trying to find out about Gohan's identity were shown) so it is very like that Toriyama-san did not remember what Toei did with Son Gohan and Videl in the anime. It could always be added and for the anime Toei already does change some things that are not exactly like Toriyama-sans draft but they do not rewrite every single thing. Especially something like that that was shown anyway. At the end of vol. 42 they were all living in peace, Goku was training for Oob, he trained Pan. Goten was forced to train by Goku but often had an excuse. Really the only to remaining fighters in the final chapters were Goku and Vegeta. Boo, Trunks and Goten also fought in the tournament but Vegeta already implied that both, not only Goten, are softies. Heck, in GT Videl got exactly one scene as Great Saiyawoman and the Perfect Files say Gohan continued training - which he also does in Super - but of course they have no spotlight appearance compared to the protagonist and deuteragonist. Gohan never wanted to be a fighter and Videl just has no reason to show her serious side at this point in the story. It is also ridiculous how people think "not shown = lost" everytime in fiction.

If anything is unfortunate then bringing Freeza back for no reason other than using him as punching bag and showing the characters have a weakness that should have been eliminated when Goku started training with Popo. But well, it is fiction.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-16-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Wait, there's a new DBZ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    Wait, there's a new DBZ?!
    Name-wise not. But a new Dragon Ball, yes. Dragon Ball Super. It plays between the last chapters of the last manga volume.

Right now it consists of:

Battle of Gods Saga
    Goku meets the God of Destruction, Lord Beerus who wants to fight the Super Saiyajin-God

Fukkatsu no F Saga
    Freeza is ressurrected by his minion and trains for 4 months to get his revenge while Goku and Vegeta tap into their God power.

Champa Saga
    Goku and his friends follow Beerus and Whis' siblings, Champa and Vados for a tournament in their sister universe, universe 6. There they fight a bear-like opponent called Bottamo, a member of Freeza's race, Frost, a Saiyajin called Cabba, a robot called Magetta and the ominous looking Hit. Afterwards they look for the Super Dragon Balls in this univese.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I kind of like the Manga, but it's missing things. There's a lot of blank space that I'm not figuring out between the 9 or so that are out (though a quick google search turned up the missing Rebirth of Freeza manga).

I watched the episodes, but I don't like how they've made so many of Z fighters horrifyingly weak again. Some have stepped up, but other's appear to have become stagnant (Piccolo). Not too impressed with how things have turned out so far.