Thread: Batman v Superman

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I'll probably get around to watching it eventually. My expectations aren't particularly high so I can really only be pleasantly surprised.

I mean, if anything else, it'll be two hours of Supes and Bats duking it out and that's a popcorn flick worth the price of admission

My favorite line in this featurette is from Batman. He says to Superman, "You're not brave. Men are brave."

Loved the Dark knight trilogy, so hoping this movie and any that follow it with the same cast can deliver on the greatness that Christian bale's films brought us. I'll probably go see it the next day it's out after I get off work. I know it'll be a packed house downtown trying to get in right away.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Just watched it. Don't want to ruin anything so

(SPOILER)... I liked it, with some "but's"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sadfleck

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I just got back from watching it.

(SPOILER)I was going to write a long ass review, but I'm tired, so I'm just going to go over some points. I didn't like it. The movie as a whole had strange pacing issues. There are quite a few scenes that felt random. I was okay with Henry Cavill in Man of Still, but his acting is just bad here. It's most noticeable in that part where he stops batman in the batmobile. That trout was wooden as smurf. I was worried about Eisenberg from the jump and his performance here didn't appease me. He cannot play old calculation, smooth and suave as smurf Luthor. Gal Gadot was so so. Laurence Fishburne is too good for the film. Batman was okay. The fight we saw in the trailer seemed shakier in the movie and didn't have the same effect as it did in the trailer. That second trailer did show the end of the movie pretty much and that climax was just eh. Those Justice League hints were out of place as well as WW.

I basically agree with these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jgpihpnv3Q

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

(SPOILER)I was going to write a long ass review, but I'm tired, so I'm just going to go over some points. I didn't like it. The movie as a whole had strange pacing issues. There are quite a few scenes that felt random. I was okay with Henry Cavill in Man of Still, but his acting is just bad here. It's most noticeable in that part where he stops batman in the batmobile. That trout was wooden as smurf. I was worried about Eisenberg from the jump and his performance here didn't appease me. He cannot play old calculation, smooth and suave as smurf Luthor. Gal Gadot was so so. Laurence Fishburne is too good for the film. Batman was okay. The fight we saw in the trailer seemed shakier in the movie and didn't have the same effect as it did in the trailer. That second trailer did show the end of the movie pretty much and that climax was just eh. Those Justice League hints were out of place as well as WW.
    (SPOILER)Pacing issues granted, one of my "but's", but the studio had to make due with the time allotted. Trying to tie together the web of comics that make up all the sub-plots included in this two hour flic is impossible, yet necessary (without a dozen plus films to substantiate). Stoic, or a confident Superman telling a mere human "time to pack up your toys, playtime is over". That is almost exactly how I would "put the smack down". Eisenberg didn't play Lex Luthor, that was his portrayal of Lex Jr., a very different character in the DC universe. I wasn't at all convinced by "WW", that was our "parties" main gripe. Laurence Fishburn>BvS. The climax was less climactic because there wasn't decades of comics leading up to it, just ~2 hours of what was expected. That, and just moments prior we're led to believe that the world heavily questions S's intentions. Then, minutes later, his death is supposed to "rock the Earth to it's core". The friends (JS members), if they even "knew him" yet, have but a few words with him. How devastating is that. If anything, Doomsday was rushed. Darkseid should have come first, plus several JS movies. I can't say I didn't like it, I'm too big a fan of SM and BM to be disappointed by this (not too big a fan to be disappointed by total bs).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

(SPOILER)It has nothing to do with this not being a comic book with there being no build up to the fight, it was because there was rough editing that felt like there was pieces missing to properly set up the tension. They had plenty of time to do so. A good chunk of unnecessary scenes in this like all the dream sequences, WW, and the JL teases. Where did you get that Jessie is playing this Lex Jr. character and not Lex Luthor? All the promotional material, the IMBD page, and within the film itself said he's Lex and why would they create a jr character that pretty much plays the same role as Lex Luthor? I feel there was some studio interference. There was no reason for WW to be in this (was she just in town?) and the hints to Justice League were random. Like the Double Toasted peeps said, the trout didn't work in Avengers 2 and they did they went ahead and copied that trout here. I do have to say that Victor Stone just being a head and torso looked kind of freakish. It's a shame to me considering this is the first time these two been on screen together, for it to end up like this. I'd rather recommend someone to just watch a DC cartoon, preferably Young Justice since Netflix is considering a third season if YJ gets enough views.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i thought the movie was alright :3 not bad, but not 'wow' either.. i enjoyed it.

got a couple of questions tho!

Wonderwomen isnt from krypton, is she?

spoily question who was the (i believe) 3rd superhuman on the tape? the that got created with the electricity?

not a question but a major spoiler not for 1 sec did i believe superman would stay dead

the pacing of the movie was indeed very weird, the movie just isnt big enough to show it in a nice way.
    i would rather have seen it in 2 movies.

and i just really felt like Eisenberg tried to mimic The Dark Knight's Joker.
    this movie could have been so much more if it had more time
    Last edited by Shaibana; 03-27-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    (SPOILER)It has nothing to do with this not being a comic book with there being no build up to the fight, it was because there was rough editing that felt like there was pieces missing to properly set up the tension. They had plenty of time to do so. A good chunk of unnecessary scenes in this like all the dream sequences, WW, and the JL teases. Where did you get that Jessie is playing this Lex Jr. character and not Lex Luthor? All the promotional material, the IMBD page, and within the film itself said he's Lex and why would they create a jr character that pretty much plays the same role as Lex Luthor? I feel there was some studio interference. There was no reason for WW to be in this (was she just in town?) and the hints to Justice League were random. Like the Double Toasted peeps said, the trout didn't work in Avengers 2 and they did they went ahead and copied that trout here. I do have to say that Victor Stone just being a head and torso looked kind of freakish. It's a shame to me considering this is the first time these two been on screen together, for it to end up like this. I'd rather recommend someone to just watch a DC cartoon, preferably Young Justice since Netflix is considering a third season if YJ gets enough views.

(SPOILER)Lex Jr (Eisenberg) states in the movie that his father (Lex Sr) named the company after himself (LexCorp) and that Lex Jr (Eisenberg) was an "accident", born 10 years later. He is Lex Jr in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaibana View Post
    i thought the movie was alright :3 not bad, but not 'wow' either.. i enjoyed it.

got a couple of questions tho!

Wonderwomen isnt from krypton, is she?

spoily question who was the (i believe) 3rd superhuman on the tape? the that got created with the electricity?

not a question but a major spoiler not for 1 sec did i believe superman would stay dead

the pacing of the movie was indeed very weird, the movie just isnt big enough to show it in a nice way.
    i would rather have seen it in 2 movies.

and i just really felt like Eisenberg tried to mimic The Dark Knight's Joker.
    this movie could have been so much more if it had more time

(SPOILER)WW, is not from Krypton. "Electricity guy" is Cyborg. I only recognized this because my son watches Teen Titans. In the comics, SM is "resurrected" after being mortally wounded in the fight with DD. Needed more films to establish characters/emotions. Joker, I felt exactly the same way after his "tic-toc" at the end. Could have been better, but it makes things worse if you constantly try and pic a flic apart.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

As a film in its own right, completely ignoring outside influence and source material, it was...okay. It wasn't boring, it entertained me, and the plot was mostly coherent.

That being said, I LOATHE THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID TO BATMAN! That was just unacceptable. I mean, I thought Ben Affleck being cast as Batman was the hardest pill to swallow, but he actually didn't do bad all things considered. It's the writers who deserve to be crucified. It's like they had no idea who Batman even is when they wrote this thing. They somehow managed to write a Batman as a complete asshole that's impossible to like, who's practically a villain for much of the film, and someone you want to see get smurfed up.

Wonder Woman was pretty cool though.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    As a film in its own right, completely ignoring outside influence and source material, it was...okay. It wasn't boring, it entertained me, and the plot was mostly coherent.

That being said, I LOATHE THEM FOR WHAT THEY DID TO BATMAN! That was just unacceptable. I mean, I thought Ben Affleck being cast as Batman was the hardest pill to swallow, but he actually didn't do bad all things considered. It's the writers who deserve to be crucified. It's like they had no idea who Batman even is when they wrote this thing. They somehow managed to write a Batman as a complete asshole that's impossible to like, who's practically a villain for much of the film, and someone you want to see get smurfed up.

Wonder Woman was pretty cool though.

This.

It was entertaining enough. It wasn't bad or particularly good. Just okay. I enjoyed Affleck as Batman. The one line he delivers was great and probably the only good memorable thing I took from it. Apart from that, a lot of didn't really make much point or sense.

(SPOILER)It was too soon for Doomsday and the subsequent death of Superman. More needed to go into the franchise before reaching this moment. It would be like killing Superman in the second issue of the comic. Dead before a chance to develop a mythos. Even then, he returns, making his death meaningless and creates the problem of where do you from here? He's already faced his biggest foe.

What I liked in this film, which was sorely wasted was that I liked how they explored the religious connotations of who Superman is, what he represents, how he plays in into morality of our own humanity and how it adds more intrigue outside of own existence on earth. I feel they missed a trick in not perhaps delving into this more as a main theme in a stand-alone sequel following on from Man of Steel.

BvS should of never have been a film (Not yet anyways) and it was just an attempt to compete with Civil War, imo. Should of developed him in his own film or started with him in Suicide Squad.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw this the other day which I pretty much agree with: http://www.cracked.com/video_19952_h...ery-level.html

Even though, critically, it has been panned, commercially the movie's done very well, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Saw this the other day which I pretty much agree with: http://www.cracked.com/video_19952_h...ery-level.html

Even though, critically, it has been panned, commercially the movie's done very well, somehow.
    It did very well the first weekend.

It then had the seventh largest weekend to weekend drop of any major superhero movie, losing 68% of its audience in the U.S. It didn't do any better overseas. It lost 78% in China. 70% in Korea. 69% in the U.K.

This movie did great when people went out and saw it because it was Batman V. Superman. Those people then went back and told their friends and it crashed without even having any other blockbusters to compete with it.

Source.
    Source.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 04-06-2016 at 07:57 AM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post

Wouldn't be the first not very good film to make lots of money *coughTransformersfilmscough*. As mentioned though, the word of mouth has seemingly been mixed, and so the box office is already tailing off more than is average for a blockbusters. It will still make a mint of course, just maybe not quite as much as the studio would have hoped.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"