View Poll Results: Who should have perished instead?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cloud

1 5.26%
  • Tifa

3 15.79%
  • Barret

4 21.05%
  • Red XIII

2 10.53%
  • Cid

1 5.26%
  • Cait Sith

6 31.58%
  • Vincent

1 5.26%
  • Yuffie

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternate FFVII Death

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think they got it right with Aeris dying. I was pretty happy with it.

If someone else *had* to die, I'd have made it Vincent, probably. He's like a constant downer.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post

If someone else *had* to die, I'd have made it Vincent, probably. He's like a constant downer.
    If you were experimented upon to become a bunch of monsters you would be a bit down in the dumps as well mate. :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah. I might even want to die at that point.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The issue with the "Cloud is just copying Tifa's memories" in terms of why Tifa is relevant, is that Sephiroth pretty much explains this to Cloud to screw with him into thinking he's not real. Yes, it's within Jenova's abilities to copy and alter memories, but the truth is that Cloud doesn't need Tifa's memories to function because we all know he was actually there, and knows details Tifa doesn't know (and even some he shouldn't actually know) about the Nibelheim incident. So I would argue the theory that Tifa was never actually there is still a relevant way of taking out Tifa. Face it, her being there only serves the purpose to make the wham episode even a thing, as she can verify that Zack was doing all the things Cloud was doing. So yeah, you can still kill her off and make the Tifa you see not be Tifa, and not actually create a plot hole because of how many red herrings there are for this whole dumb revelation.

Back on topic, I'd kill Yuffie because I hate her but Tifa is my second choice. I kind of like the idea of her being a figment of Cloud's imagination as it actually makes her more interesting than what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The issue with the "Cloud is just copying Tifa's memories" in terms of why Tifa is relevant, is that Sephiroth pretty much explains this to Cloud to screw with him into thinking he's not real. Yes, it's within Jenova's abilities to copy and alter memories, but the truth is that Cloud doesn't need Tifa's memories to function because we all know he was actually there, and knows details Tifa doesn't know (and even some he shouldn't actually know) about the Nibelheim incident. So I would argue the theory that Tifa was never actually there is still a relevant way of taking out Tifa. Face it, her being there only serves the purpose to make the wham episode even a thing, as she can verify that Zack was doing all the things Cloud was doing. So yeah, you can still kill her off and make the Tifa you see not be Tifa, and not actually create a plot hole because of how many red herrings there are for this whole dumb revelation.
    Except the Ultimania Omega ultimately confirms that the way the game explains it is true. Yes, Cloud does remember things Tifa does not know but a) is it within Sephiroth's power to make people believe whatever he wants, he can even create illusions that you can literally feel and b) plotholes are perfectly normal. Also I do not know what it always is with Final Fantasy fans taking just one scene to explain their point or ignore what authors wanted just so they can say otherwise, et cetera, when multiple scenes actually confirm it. Forsaken Lover, no matter how often we disagree, did it right. He explained how JENOVA eradicated the Cetra and the moment when and how Cloud took Tifa's memories. Cloud called himself the master of his own illusionary world and that because he himself started all that - not on purpose once he met his childhood friend after a long time. Not taking the abilities that are even explained for exactly those scenes and everything else just because the first time Sephiroth mentioned it was for a half-truth (not even a lie, but a half-truth as, while Cloud was very well existing before, he actually became a Sephiroth clone nonetheless as clones in FFVII have more meanings) is really not helpful and about as great as people coming into other threads to explain why character names and author intentions and all and everything released from Square is meaningsless just because it is not good for his own argument. This is getting ridiculous to the point that you might as well say "oh, we better believe nothing" ultimately rendering playing a game useless. It is a perfect confabulation that Sephiroth was able to use. "Look at that folder. What is in there? Info A? Ah, away with you. Info B? Good one. Info C? Fine. Info D? Not necessary." and Cloud this way had a source of information he could use to make up his story instead of just randomly taking things out of nowhere. In the end the entire "Tifa was not there" thing would fall apart once I ask "how would they even know of how to use Cloud's confabulation and the JENOVA cells that did it?" as the entire story would need to be completely rewritten.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 03-23-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I think they got it right with Aeris dying. I was pretty happy with it.

You would be on a constant downer too if you'd been rejected by the woman you love then shot and experimented on by her husband hence failing to stop the birth of pure evil. He's cursed and he's earnt it.

Whereas Aerith is a constant cheery sort so...she shouldn't die.

Caith Sith (if its possible to kill him without killing Reeve)

Tifa

Barrett

They are acceptable choices. As for Yuffie, I aint steppin' on that landmine....no sir