Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xena Remake: Excited, or not excited?

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i hardly remember Xena, but i have watched it.
    i think Xena is old enough for a remake :3..
    i just hope it doesnt get as lame and unrealistic as shows like Arrow..
    and i hope they dont go the every-police-related-tv-show way by making every episode a short story..
    i really want 1 continuing story like GoT or TWD

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I smurfing LOVED Xena!! Even as a really young kid, I recognized that I was watching something unique in seeing such strong badass female characters. I was specifically drawn to these characters and I remember thinking how COOL it was that they were such fearsome warriors.

And I also loved how campy it was. The thing about remaking these 90s hits is that the campiness of the 90s doesn't seem to translate into today's world. It's just weird. So I'm assuming they're going to make Xena grittier and less campy. I would be interested in watching this if they happen to cast the right person in the lead role.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

lesbiaaannnnns

I have...never watched Xena!

I feel like I would like it though. I like Lucy Lawless, I like campy fantasy stories with interesting women.... I can't say I'm particularly excited for a remake but I am excited to check out the original at some point! Hopefully it's on Netflix. But probably not; Netflix seems to have absolutely everything except whatever it is you're specifically looking for today.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Xena is on Netflix. I just watched it this morning.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

The thought of a Xena remake is slightly disturbing to me, I knew people who worked on the show, and it was pretty much a staple TV show; I'm having a really hard time imagining new actors as those characters, even if a more progressive stance is a good thing.

PS - Can we make Joxer x Autolycus official, too, please?

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I watched it on tv as a kid every chance I could. I liked it a lot. In the past year, I've also rewatched it on Netflix. The Xena x Gabrielle love is very obvious, more then I would call undertones, even though they don't just come out and say it.

As far as Star Wars, in one of the new official lore books one of the characters is clearly declared as gay. There's no "queerbaiting" about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Apparently, there's going to be a remake of Xena: Warrior Princess.

Interested? Apathetic? Discuss!
    That depends. If its on a free channel, then yes, I'm excited to watch a staple of my early teen years.

If its on a channel where I'd need to pay a subscription then I'm jealous of all you cable and satellite people in your satellite and cable heaven :-P

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It's going to be on NBC, which worries me.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I think it will be/could be a double-edged sword.

Clearly everyone got the couple vibe between Xena and Gabrielle, and it's too bad they couldn't just have an open relationship in the original show. Now, it's very possible and I hope likely. So more progressive situations like that would be good.

However, I also think they'll replace cheesiness dialogue, budget special effects, and hammy acting with grittiness, darker tones, and too much seriousness. Xena was a strong, female lead but the series was also a lot of fun most of the time. You don't have to have a super serious show to have a likeable female lead that you can respect.

People remember the original Xena, and people remember the original two Robocop. I've seen the new Robocop movie, and I won't call it actively bad, but it is a completely generic, serious action movie. In a few more years, I don't think too many people will remember it nostalgically. The same thing could happen with the new Xena reboot if they don't do it right.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh I should actually post more in this thread: Starting last year i've slowly been trying to get in more shape because I want to cosplay as xena. I've been working through hercules and xena on netflix (since they cross over each other you have to watch booooth)

I have loved Lucy in everything she's been in since so it's safe to say I love Xena. I rocked at the PS1 game, back in the day.

I am excited for a reboot. Sometimes the cheesiness is endearing and other times it's eyeroll worthy. I just am really excited for more focus on that type of historical lore and history from that time. Greek Gods and monsters is always a fun thing!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Xena was so hilariously lame. It was perplexity terrible in every single way.

And that was ironically it's one positive. It was so bad it was hilarious. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers gave it a run for its money in writing, acting, and production value.

Which is why the reboot will probably suck because nobody makes campy trout anymore. Also, Xena always had those moments where everyone involved knew how terrible and cheesy everything going on was and had no problem letting their self-awareness show from time to time. From the whole lesbian announcement it sounds like they're going to take themselves seriously this time, and Xena taking itself seriously is like a salad with no dressing.
    I like Kung-Fu.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

There hasn't been a lesbian announcement!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Excited! They are making the romance of Xena and Gabrielle actually a thing instead of just hinted at. I read that yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    There hasn't been a lesbian announcement!
    Yah there's a link there of a quote by the show writer. Not OFFICIALLY saying lesbian but that they are going to show more than just undertones.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by SammieBabe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Pretty sure this reboot involves the original co-creator (who is also Lucy Lawless' husband). Plus Xena wasn't much good to start with anyway, it was just pure 90s cheese.
    Exactly. And who doesn't love cheese?
    cheese is pretty good but it always starts smelling weird when it makes its way into my tv

anyway i'm not excited because i never watched the original show. i like watching women kick ass though so i might check it out if it turns out well.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?