Tetsuya Nomura

Akihiko Yoshida

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Amano, followed by Yoshida.

His art just stirs the imagination more than the others and really embodies the term final fantasy, whereas Yoshida can never really be seperated from the Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle franchise for me. Nomura has a pretty cool clean manga style and I generally prefer his artwork when it embraces anime aesthetics than when he tries to do a more realistic approach.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went with Yoshida because I just love that painterly style and nothing can beat his environmental paintings. He also puts loads of nice little details into his character designs. Though I'll agree Amano probably paints what brings FF to mind. And yet Yoshida seems to be contributing just as much to that image nowadays, what with his art for FFXIV and that game being so important. Nomura comes off as the weakest of the three, though his style is still very nice and memorable. He doesn't really do environments though. Like, at all

Yoshida is the guy who did Vagrant Story which is all about a guy in assless chaps I think.

And Vaan, don't forget Vaan.

Man loves the male body.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

He also made Ashe's super short skirt, Franms see/through stripper oitfit, and Melrose's shapely buttocks. He clearly likes both the female and male form. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I think Amano-san is the more impressive artist but I think the better artist and the one I like more is Nomura-san. He is the one who designed Sephiroth.

Obviously Tetsuya Nomura.

I love every single drawing of him. From Final Fantasy to that Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ansd WiiU drawing.
    The One and Only KeybasH.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    He also made Ashe's super short skirt, Franms see/through stripper oitfit, and Melrose's shapely buttocks. He clearly likes both the female and male form. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    When it serves no purpose and is horribly ugly, there is.

Vaan's and Ashe's outfits are atrocious.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I love Amano's style. His monsters are something else.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    When it serves no purpose and is horribly ugly, there is.

Vaan's and Ashe's outfits are atrocious.
    That is entirely subjective and literally has nothing to do with his sexual preference, so why bring it up?

And even if you dislike Vaan's and Ashe's outfits, there is no denying that his character designs are original and leave an impression. The homoerotic designs are one of the reasons why Vagrant Story is so memorable.

Nomura all the way, if the man ever quits his job in the games industry he could become a clothing designer, his designs are all so awesome...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went with Yoshida because I just love that painterly style and nothing can beat his environmental paintings. He also puts loads of nice little details into his character designs. Though I'll agree Amano probably paints what brings FF to mind. And yet Yoshida seems to be contributing just as much to that image nowadays, what with his art for FFXIV and that game being so important. Nomura comes off as the weakest of the three, though his style is still very nice and memorable. He doesn't really do environments though. Like, at all
    I feel Yoshida is the bridge between Amano's "art" pieces and Nomura's Character design process. Yoshida does more to give his creations and artistic flavor the designers use for their games like Amano, but his designs also easily translate well into 3D modeling like Nomura's style making his stuff easier to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I think Amano-san is the more impressive artist but I think the better artist and the one I like more is Nomura-san. He is the one who designed Sephiroth.
    Well, actually Sephiroth was jointly designed by Nomura and Amano, so he can't really take all the credit for it. Much like how Amano can't take full credit for Shadow and Setzer from FFVI since Nomura came up with them first.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I feel Yoshida is the bridge between Amano's "art" pieces and Nomura's Character design process. Yoshida does more to give his creations and artistic flavor the designers use for their games like Amano, but his designs also easily translate well into 3D modeling like Nomura's style making his stuff easier to work with.
    Which is why I think he's king

You can hardly count Amano-san for all character designs just because he has an artwork for them all. Especially considering the final result is definitely Sephiroth Nomura style, not Amano-style. Even in Dissidia he just looks just like a Nomura-version of Amano-san's style because the entire idea was to take them with the Amano-design and not because he was the one who designed them truly. It is not really fair to count him for all just because he has artwork for them. After the older FFs Amano was replaced more and more by Nomura. He still has drawn his stuff. But the main designer was Nomura-san at one point. Except for IX, of course and XII should also have someone else but you can see how much of an influence Nomura-san has by now and which position.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    It's pretty obvious too considering Sephiroth's Amano design is not actually a big departure from Nomura's
    Nomura-san's Sephiroth looks like a totally different version compared to Amano-san's. That he has a black coat, white hair and Masamune is really all the drawings have in common. Amano-san's Sephiroth even is right-handed. And these facts have nothing to do with Nomura-san disrespecting anyone. It is just how it is. There is a reason why he is credited as the Character Designer.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-08-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm pretty sure Wolf meant more than just Amano's regular artwork when he said that, but I'm not familiar with the story. I do know Nomura played a big role in designing Setzer and Shadow, so if Amano's involvement in Sephiroth's design is similar, then yep, that would make Sephiroth pretty much an Amano character. But I think WK would have to elaborate on that since I don't know the story.