Thread: Do you think Netflix's Jessica Jones is better than CBS's Supergirl?

Default Do you think Netflix's Jessica Jones is better than CBS's Supergirl?

I haven't really seen Jessica Jones yet so I can't judge. Basically because I don't have a Netflix account and I can't afford to have a Netflix account within this stage of my life so I'm kind of in the dark over the quality of a Netflix Daredevil and/or Jessica Jones show, right now...

But I'll tell you one thing, that Supergirl and Flash crossover is probably going to be the best thing about Supergirl Season 1, too bad Jessica Jones can't crossover with Daredevil, yet.
    Last edited by The Fat Bioware Nerd; 03-17-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

They are really very different. Different tone and main characters have nothing in common other than being female. I didn't care for Jessica Jones but at least I made it through half of it. I stopped watching Supergirl after the pilot. Not intriguing enough for me.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I haven't seen supergirl but haven't heard good things so I'll go with Jessica Jones. It's delightfully dark!

Blog Entries

Jessica Jones. But, as Del says, they are very different shows. Jessica Jones is darker, gritty, and not for the squeamish at times.
    I watched a couple episodes of Supergirl when it started. It was cute, but didn't hook me the way Jessica did. But, I'm also a fan of dark humor and irresistible villians, like David Tennant .

Articles
    Blog Entries

Del's on point. The only thing they really have in common is that they both star women superheroes and they have feminist issues. The difference being JJ keeps it more subtle (when they go over the abuse Killgrave cause, the talk of rape, what consent is, etc) and doesn't constantly shove it in your face like Supergirl does with their messages. Supergirl tries way too hard to appeal to feminists and some aspects (like Cat Grant basically being a bully) kind of betray the themes they're trying to advertise. Something I hope they stomp out in Season Two since they were gradually improving the further into Season One they got. Outside of that Supergirl isn't really guilty of anything the other DCTV shows aren't guilty of. Speech about hope? Cringeworthy acting? The town siding against the villain? Hello, Arrow Season Four Finale.

Basically, DCTV is teen drama, Netflix Marvel is dark and gritty. They're going to appeal to different people. I only tip more to Supergirl because I love the character and the Superman mytho. I still immensely enjoyed Jessica Jones as well, though. I think it's great we got two women superhero shows in a TV market mainly dominated by men around the same time.
    Last edited by Ayen; 06-08-2016 at 11:22 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I guess you could also say their powers are somewhat similar with the super strength and I guess JJ is somewhat invulnerable? But their personalities are completely different.

I am on the fence with JJ. Should I finish it? I love Daredevil and want to be 'caught up' with the Netflix universe since Iron Fist and Luke Cage are coming and those sound intriguing, but Jessica is too damn brooding.

As for Supergirl, well it's moving to the CW. That should tell you something.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I vote you should finish Jessica Jones. I thought it was spectacular. Some of the stuff hit way too close to home, though, so I had to take a couple of breaks. It's just excellent, though. I think it's probably my favorite Netflix Original.

Also the opening credits are bad ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Some of the stuff hit way too close to home, though,
    And that's how we learn Jinx has super powers.

It's been a while so it will probably be fresh now if I finished it. Plus my precious CWDC shows are over for the summer (shut up, I'm a hypocrite).

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think that Agent Carter blew them both out of the water!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    As for Supergirl, well it's moving to the CW. That should tell you something.
    That it pays to have a sister network with a smaller audience that will take a show off your hands with a budget cut and a relocation? It can only serve the show overall since with a smaller budget they'll be forced to improve the writing since they can't rely on the high budget anymore. At least we're getting a four-way crossover out of it.

I'm with Jinx on you should finish JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post
    I think that Agent Carter blew them both out of the water!
    And yet it's the one that gets axed.

I don't understand Network Television.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Not enough people were watching season 2 of Agent Carter, but on the real Jessica Jones is that trout. I can say with no uncertainty that if FFIX hadn't steered my path in life, this would have.

Edit: Just noticed this thread is 3 months old.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 06-09-2016 at 01:52 AM.