Thread: Zero to Hero

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tongue Zero to Hero

So what characters have you tried out in a moment of shear boredom only to find out that you really enjoyed them and became a regular staple of your playthroughs. Certain character in an RPG you never gave the time of day to only to discover they are awesome? New race to play as in an MMO that kicked ass? How about that dopey character you usually use as a punching bag for your main fighters in your favorite fighting game? So which characters went from Zero to Hero for you?

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Natalia from Tales of the Abyss is the for me. I usually had her sitting on the bench. But there was some fight where everything just went to hell and everyone but her was dead. I remember thinking, I just saved and let's play it out. So I took control and somehow scraped by. I took a look at her artes and started playing around and she became my favorite character to play as in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's actually a guy in Trails of Cold steel who is BY FAR my least favourite character. I hate him. But his attacks have amazing range, can hit more targets at a time than anyone else, and he's the best for ambushing enemies on the field map

As much as I hate him, I gotta say I'm not super mad when the game forces me to use him

Angela Belti from the Power Instinct series comes to mind. She's been around since the original game, but I always disliked her visual design and apparent archetype, so I passed over her for most of the series. It wasn't until around the fifth-ish (it's a bit hard to follow the series) title I finally gave her a fair shot and she quickly became my favorite character in the series. She is an absolute monster who is WAY faster than she looks, way safer than she should be, and deals the damage one would expect from her build. She's a pretty great example of defied expectations.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I used to have good taste in fantasy races but now I only play elves.

Except for night elves, screw those

Articles
    Blog Entries

I didn't really take to playing as a dwarf in my first Dragon Age run. I did Human, Hawke, Elf. It was the Elf that really got me interested in playing other races. I'm now playing a dwarf in Inquisition and I'm really enjoying myself!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

In SSB Brawl Bowser was super slow and quite useless as a result. Then in SSB4 I tried him out just for kicks and now he is my main. That butt-slam is just soooo satisfying. There is no escape from the butt-slam.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

In DA Origins Sten always sat on the side for me. Then I did his quest and got his sword and tried him out and loved him.

FFVI I use to keep Setzer on the sideline. Then used him out of just grinding others up and he became great for me.
    FFVI Gau. I hated him when I first started playing back when it was known as III. OnceI figured out how to use the rages he became a great mainstay as well.

In DA II Verric got the shaft my first playthrough. Once I learned how to use him I ended up loving him.

There are many others as well I just can't think of them at the moment.

Kimahri incoming! I never thought he was useful on my first playthrough but teach the guy Mug and he goes to town on creeps!