Thread: Replaying FFVIII on the PSVita

Default Replaying FFVIII on the PSVita

I finally broke down and bought a Vita last year when I learned I could buy a lot of Playstation games on it. Nostalgia on the go? Yes, please!

While I don't regret the decision, there are things that aren't working for this purchase on this platform. For example, R2 and L2 on the Vita are just designed with a lot of dumb, imho. They're touch based on the pad on the back of the handheld, and I can't figure out where to ever push to get them to work.

This makes escaping combat incredibly hard! - I'm looking at you, X-ATM092!
    Thankfully, there are covers for the Vita that you can purchase that give you a button for R2 and L2, and I plan on buying it, but it just annoys me.

My biggest irk is powering up my GF's attack during their animations. On the Vita, select and square are both on the right side of the device so you kinda have to turn the Vita and play circus with your fingers to smash the damage number up. It is very annoying, clunky, and makes you kinda look like a monkey chewing on a hammer while doing it.

Has anyone else experienced replaying this game on a different console and having complications?

Some Text Here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

No. I only ever played the PSX version. I still have my hard copy that works as good as new.

Yeah, I had the original disc, but I sold it along with the rest of my collection. It was just sitting around getting dusty, and even when I wanted to go back and replay games the hassle of hooking the PS2 back up to do so was just too much.

Some Text Here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am incapable of parting with anything I own once I own it. Even if I never use it, even if it would benefit me more to sell it, I can't part with it. Damn my hoarding nature

Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastGrilledCheese View Post

While I don't regret the decision, there are things that aren't working for this purchase on this platform. For example, R2 and L2 on the Vita are just designed with a lot of dumb, imho. They're touch based on the pad on the back of the handheld, and I can't figure out where to ever push to get them to work.
    Yeah, had this exact same problem when brought a Vita recently as well. I think from memory you can change the controls, and you'll be free to escape from battles again. Yeah, Sony clearly had only modern games in mind when creating the Vita, which is stupid, because one of the main reasons to why people enjoy the Vita and PSP so much, is the ability to play old PSONE games anywhere you go.

Old Final Fantasy games on the Vita, especially FF VIII because of the whole ' monsters level up with you' and X-ATM092 is a giant pain. Though unfortunately, if you want to collect all of the old Final Fantasy games up to X- ( and hopefully soon XII ? SE ? Remember XII ? XII HD ? ) the Vita is the way to do it.

You can reprogram the controls to your liking from memory. I think you hold down the PS button?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastGrilledCheese View Post

Yeah, had this exact same problem when brought a Vita recently as well. I think from memory you can change the controls, and you'll be free to escape from battles again.
    Yeah, if you hold down the Playstation button on the Vita it takes you to a screen where you can assign buttons. Just change L1 to L2 and R1 to R2.

I use this when I play FFVII on my Vita when I want to refill chocobos stamina during races. You need to hold down R1 & R2. I just assign L1 to R2 and you're away