Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I enjoyed seeing all the green everywhere.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I accidentally celebrated in that my roommate and I had three drinks today, and my wedding ring has green in it. I also baked cookies and ate green salad?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I went to the pub for lunch but didn't drink! It was a gorgeous day too so I took young James on a long walk, did a work-out, ate cooked some sweet chilli salmon steaks then had an early night.

WHAT IS MY LIFE?

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Paddy's*
    Phone shenanigans.

Went to Katsuya with the fam. Traditional Irish sushi dinner (no corned beef on the menu).

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by eating spaghetti and not telling anyone how Irish I am or am not.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Such a silly holiday.

I'm Dutch, we don't need excuses to drink, we just do it. The trick is showing up to work the next day looking sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by eating spaghetti and not telling anyone how Irish I am or am not.
    Nothing wrong with having pride in ones heritage. Also nothing wrong with refusing to express pride in a heritage that you may, or may not, have.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Such a silly holiday.

I'm Dutch, we don't need excuses to drink, we just do it. The trick is showing up to work the next day looking sober.
    I think the Irish have that down, but it may just be that they always look drunk, as opposed to mastering the air of sobriety.

There's more to St. Patrick's Day than just drinking, you forgot about the cabbage.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Americans getting drunk on green-dyed garbage beer and telling everyone around them that they are 1/25th Irish while Flogging Molly plays in the background doesn't really sound like celebrating heritage to me.

Such a narrow view. Maybe one too many Irish car bombs back in the day?

Not that I need to explain my genealogy, but a couple great grand parents from Ireland. I have family there. Never drank green beer. Usually spend St. Patrick's with my parents and grand parents, eating corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes (kids haven't been feeling the best, don't want grandpa and grandma sick. They're in their 90's.)

Irish, German, Swedish/"Danish"/"Dutch", English, with surnames to match (immediate family). My last name is German. Fun fact, it's one of (if not "the") rarest surnames in the USA, a little over a dozen of us.

Even if someone is only "1/25", is there an issue with acknowledging or appreciating that? You're a fraction of "something", no pride in your own bloodline?

I also enjoy sauerkraut (queue: dump on Oktoberfest).

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not interested in having a debate about the manner in which someone should or should not express pride in their heritage. I explained my distaste for the way this holiday is "celebrated" in America engage and I'm entitled to feel that way.

Everyone tells everyone else about how their great great grandfather was from Ireland and how they're "allowed" to celebrate St. Patrick's Day because of it and it's just a stupid one-up circle jerk of lineage that I'm tired of hearing about. People here don't really celebrate the holiday. We use it as an excuse to drink. Just like we do with Cinco de Mayo.

If I'd said "let's all go get smashed at some sh it hole dive while Shorty rips on what a stupid heaping pile of drunken Irish posers we are", then I might understand your disdain, but even then, "why judge"?

We're in a melting pot (one built by the Irish), good chance that everyone does have a great great grandpappy from Ireland.

I don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, I'm not Mexican, neither is my wife. What does it matter that some non-Mexicans do?

To me, it doesn't matter who chooses to celebrate, or how they choose to celebrate. All that matters is acknowledgement and awareness. Without such "grand spectacles" the day and what it stands for might vanish into obscurity. At least there is some knowledge and history spread. Does it matter what generation a person is when celebrating the 4'th of July? Would it matter, either way, if that person chose to have a drink during their holiday? Is someone "more American" if their lineage dates back to the colonials vs 1'st gen? What about immigrants that love this country, but just finished the last word of the Naturalisation Oath? Maybe they're having a beer on the 4'th to celebrate, but it might also be the first time they felt safe to do so. What about those still looking to attain citizenship?

Let 'em be Irish for a day, not everyone gets to be lucky all year.

Anyway, I say "Happy...", and you pee'd in my Cheerios (which are nasty to begin with).

No harm, no foul?