View Poll Results: Are VN's Video Games?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 78.95%
  • No

1 5.26%
  • I don't know

0 0%
  • Maybe

2 10.53%
  • Other?

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Visual Novels Video Games?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Are Visual Novels Video Games?

I consider them so, personally.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yes, I think so. Often times you still have to make choices.

It goes back to the whole "Are Choose your own adventure books still books?" Yes they are just not typical novels. Same thing. Yes they are still games, just not typical games.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I think they are, they are not my personal favorite genre but it is a form of a game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Intuitively I'd say yes, they are. Technically you could make a case that while 99% of visual novels are video games there are some that wouldn't qualify so this is too general of a statement, but that needlessly complicates things. If they were less of a niche it might make more sense to make a distinction, but as it stands they're entertainment software and as such doubtlessly closer to video games than anything else.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I take a very post-modern approach in my categorization. It was created as a game, not any other medium. Therefore, it is a game, and not any other medium.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

It's interactive media, so yea.

For crying out loud guys, if everyone agrees, how can we have a stimulating internet debate!?

For no other reason than to mix things up I'm going to have to... also agree. >_< Yes, they are video games. You have interaction, you have failure states, you have agency... visual novels are far more video gamey video games than the Dear Esthars of the world.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    For no other reason than to mix things up I'm going to have to... also agree. >_< Yes, they are video games. You have interaction, you have failure states, you have agency... visual novels are far more video gamey video games than the Dear Esthars of the world.
    Some of them do. However, some of them are literally just reading/listening and tapping through the dialogue until you reach the end of the novel. This puts them on par with the (absolutely also video games) Dear Esthers of the world.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Some of them do. However, some of them are literally just reading/listening and tapping through the dialogue. This puts them on par with the (absolutely also video games) Dear Esthers of the world.
    I agree with this. No matter how uninteractive they may be, these games are still very much games

Sometimes, I want to come in and be different and stuff.

Then I vote yes on the poll and see everyone else (minus the one rebel) did too.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

In order to be a video game, a piece of media must involve a game element.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Honestly I feel like it can go either way and that's fine with me. Neither one is lesser than the other so if the Gaming Gods suddenly decreed that visual novels aren't video games, that's fine! Novels aren't poems but both are still great!

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Some of them do. However, some of them are literally just reading/listening and tapping through the dialogue until you reach the end of the novel. This puts them on par with the (absolutely also video games) Dear Esthers of the world.
    I wonder where the line is between game and digital comic. If you're literally just tapping to continue, is that not just like turning the page of a book?

I mean, going off dictionary definitions one of them is: "An activity providing entertainment or amusement," so everything's a game really. Reading a book? That's a game. Watching a movie? That's a game. But in terms of "games" as things that you play, there is certainly a strong argument that some games are not. I mean, I think I would draw the line at there being some form of choice involved. Do you take the left door or the right one? In that regard, reading a choose your own adventure book would count as a game, and I think that's a fair assessment.

Of course, even if I were to say "X is not actually a game", I think it's very easy to assume that is meant in a derogatory fashion. But that's not necessarily the case; I don't look down on books because they're not games, I just enjoy them as a different form of media to games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It only gets more complicated if you're like me and consider a mystery novel a "game between the reader and the author" as well. With that even When They Cry qualifies as a game despite its straight linearity up to the final episodes.