Thread: FF5 Story Based Thread: ExDeath

Blog Entries

Relm FF5 Story Based Thread: ExDeath

So...how do you guys rate Exdeath as a Final Fantasy Villain?

Go into as much detail as you want

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel he's one of the more underrated villains. Yes he's hammy and his origin is one of the more bizarre if thankfully less convoluted ones in the series, but I love his presence in the game and works to snap FFV's more light-hearted story back to seriousness. I also still feel he's the most powerful villain in the main series with only a few able to hold up against him.

A comedian who tries to drive a truck he has no license and skill for.

He is amousing thugh.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I feel he's one of the more underrated villains. Yes he's hammy and his origin is one of the more bizarre if thankfully less convoluted ones in the series, but I love his presence in the game and works to snap FFV's more light-hearted story back to seriousness. I also still feel he's the most powerful villain in the main series with only a few able to hold up against him.
    His origins are very interesting indeed. But...why on earth did they create him? To me his creators don't sound like bad people so....what could their intentions have been?

And yes, his origins are more easily understood than later villains (Sephiroth's origins are great but can still make my head hurt)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post

His origins are very interesting indeed. But...why on earth did they create him? To me his creators don't sound like bad people so....what could their intentions have been?

And yes, his origins are more easily understood than later villains (Sephiroth's origins are great but can still make my head hurt)
    ExDeath was not intentionally created. He was simply a holy tree that had so much evil and demonic forces sealed into it so they wouldn't harm people, that the evil took over the tree and made it into a sentient being. He's basically the FF equivalent of Naraku from Inu-Yasha, a single entity whose soul is a composite of several different evil demons and magic.

If you want to look at it more philosophically, ExDeath represents how cutting corners to alleviate a problem instead of fixing it outright can often snowball into a bigger problem.

For me X-Death also always was Naraku. Onigumo (tree) fused with souls (sealed souls that also are manifested as mega chimera Neo X-Death later) and that was the result.

Blog Entries

Kanno, Sephiroth, you both make intersting points